Lore or player based name corroboration instead of naming 'rules'

Thanks for a collection of all these previous discussions @ColonelOrion

I see that this is a was a well discussed topic beforehand.
From people that a much better at constructing arguments than i can.

For my last contribution.

Today i have seen a player breaking the convention for tajaran on my regular server.
I talked to them about it.
They simply answered, that haven’t seen anyone else play tajaran.

And in fact, neither did I see anyone play tajaran in weeks.
No one is there to play an example.
Maybe no one wants to play the example.
(They did have a really nice name for cat like species, funny enough, that name would have been legal for felinids.)

The last thing i wanted to do is berate the only person playing that species in weeks and be the buzzkill for them.

Anyways, I will stop investing myself in this topic any further.
As i am currently wondering if I should invest myself playing on Beestation any further.

I hope we see eachother in one of those rounds and have a great lot of fun together.
Even those that disagree with me.

5 Likes

5 Likes

It’s funny to me that rules that are enforced so harshly are written by people that barely play the server anymore!

6 Likes

Playing and admining at the same time burns you out super fast, trust me.

5 Likes

i don’t mind the naming guidelines as much as other people, but also i’m still relatively new so i guess i missed… previous tribulations regarding the topic that may have soured many.

anyway, my hot take is that every species (except humans and felinids since they can already do pretty much whatever) should have at least two different naming convention options like lizards and moths do.

imo the “Does-The-Action” and the ashwalker-esque names can both be quickly read as lizard while still giving people a little more freedom. plasmamen and everybody else who gets kinda screwed in the name game should have something like that, too. again, imo.

edit: welcome to bee, by the way! :grin:

4 Likes

I can’t believe my saga wasn’t there :pensive:

We’re still waiting for the in-game poll till this day

1 Like

This thread really reveals some dark truths about our players and the topic was about naming guidelines, of all things. Jeez…

Anyway, there’s a very good reason this rule isn’t removed yet, but I think it won’t be here forever, going purely based on logic.

I do wish that punishment for bad names just gave you a day’s ban and didn’t scale with repeat offense though. Anything more for such a minor offense is ridiculous.

I also wish that people didn’t report each other for this unless they actually did LRP things. How petty can you get?

In conclusion
ANGER99

2 Likes

What’s so difficult about following this one rule :skull:

2 Likes

I’ll include your threads the next time this exact thread gets made.
Lol

2 Likes

Yeah people who ahelp names are lame, I’ve only done It when its something like one guy whose last name was prepucio which is foreskin in spanish OR if they are a clearly a new player who is going to get bwoinked anyways because they don’t know the rules and I trust admins will be kind to them like they were to me when I was new

But yeah if I see a name thats a reference or kinda bending the rules I’m not snitching

4 Likes

The guy who kept playing as the blade runner guy and only got caught after ageeeees is a legend. Truly an undercover detective.

2 Likes

Let’s hold public votes for who’s name gets executed every weekend. I’ll vote for The Real Captain, true LRP name. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’m more likely to LOOC the person letting them know to be careful on this server since they tend to go after people with names that aren’t the norm.

I will fully admit I do not report name guildelines breaking because it’s

1. Something that I’m against being a rule as it serves no purpose other than limit players creativity.
  2. Literally wastes admins time that could be focus on something else.

Why should I put time and effort because someone named their Moth character two words instead of one when there’s probably something way more apparent happening on the server at that time?

That’s the real problem that I think guildelines suffer from, it wastes everyone’s time and causes unnecessary drama.

Removing offensive names should be all the guildelines who do anything more are perferences set by the server and aren’t necessary for Beestation to thrive.

2 Likes

Honestly I thought the problem with naming guidelines was the lack of communication. Pretty sure Truthbringer had their name for awhile and all of a sudden kerblammed.
Getting called out for a unacceptable name immediately should be fine. Getting called out after having the name for months after it seemed fine is a bit… Yeah. Never really had a problem with names even with several characters.
My take away from this is that more admins means the naming guidelines gets more relaxed. (So apply!!!)

2 Likes

I feel like this is more that the admins are pretty oblivious regarding pop culture.
I remember there was a guy called Hank Hill who walked around for like a month before I drew attention to it, after I tried to explain who Hank Hill was to the admin they acted like it was some really obscure character that no one has heard of.

Then there are other characters I see pretty regularly who clearly characters from well known video games and shows, yet they have managed to stay around for quite some time. It’s almost like the admemes don’t want to do it themselves and just plead ignorance instead.

2 Likes

get bonked for being named Albert Wily
can’t use Dr. Wily cause it’s a megaman antagonist

but then

guy named Morgan Strange
guy named Richard Sanchez
guy named Berengar Beeblebrox
guy named Hank Hill
guy named Fleeble Vegapunk (this one is fake though for funny)

wut

Not that anyone asked, but I once made an AI and it had the name T-WATT. They asked me to call them “TWAT” for short. lol

Shortly afterwards they had a new name. xd

hmmm i wounder who that could have been…

Millii wasn’t happy with it, it was also at the same time i called out hank hill

My ai is still called T-watt, but i need 9 more borg hours to be able to play as them…

1 Like

Twingo renault is also an honorable mention, since if you asked someone on the American continent if that was a bad reference name only a car nut would be able to identify.

Dude went 3 months before an admin managed to put two and two togeather on what the name was a reference to.

3 Likes

people are petty and lame, that tends to happen quite a lot.

things like that are honestly to be expected its like those people that whine about nerfing potemking instead of labing against him