How important should naming conventions be on Bee?

This is a topic I figured I’d ask here since it seems that the name guildelines are one of the more stricter rules on Bee. We all know that calling yourself “BAN EVADER” and “Bill Science” is epic and funny but I’m more asking about the species specific guildlines.

• Lizards must aways be Verb-The-Noun or related to elder scrolls somehow

• Plasmamen and Ethereals must have name related to chemistry or mythology

• Oozeling must always have a colour related name with “son” at the end of their surname

• Apid need to have “B” in their name and need to be related to flowers

• Moths must use latin or single word items for names (expect you haven’t use lamp or Moth/Moff in the name for some reason)

I’m not saying we should ditch these, in fact I think some of these are great ways to guilde people into making names for their characters, instead I think they should allow for more leeway or shouldn’t be treating them as if they are the only ways to name your characters.

I concerned if it’s really limiting not only the playerbases creativity which effects the level of roleplay on the server but also causing the admins to focus on someone that dares to name their character something unconventional and not on more important issues going on during a round.

11 Likes

If people were allowed to make ooc notes about their character’s backstory, then naming justifications would be so much easier without having to be bwoinked and asked, “Why isn’t your name following our guidelines?”

Well it says right here in my backstory that this lizard was raised by humans so he has a human name!

2 Likes

Was told my plasmaman name wasn’t allowed because I did a gas instead of a chemical, naming policy dumb :frowning:

2 Likes

Naming policy should just be"no LRP/meme names", out of all things that break immersion a slightly different name isn’t the biggest issue

6 Likes

Proof?

I hate naming convention rules as a whole.

If someone has an offensive name, change it by force or ban them if it’s too gruesome.

If someone’s doing bill science, ban evader, or whatever else, leave them alone.

At least until we actually get some rp standards going. Otherwise it feels like straight-up abuse when name adminning happens.

Right now the name rules feel completely pointless. If someone wants to have a terrible name they’ll just make an alt for it. If someone wants to have a funny name, they risk bans and bwoinks even if they play 100% fine, or even if they’re friendlier than mr. Joe Bob. Sigh.

6 Likes

To be honest I nearly agree with that. Most people on bee just laugh whenever they see names like those, me included and honestly they usually don’t do anything that bad other than the name.

This would fix the issue so much and would let players to actually develop their characters more as a plus.

4 Likes

Well yeah, it also gives others bits to roleplay off of.

Unless you know someone already, you have nothing to really use as a seed for roleplay. Or at least nothing compelling.

3 Likes

That is crazy no way

4 Likes

8 Likes

Apparently Plasmaman must have roman numerals in their name so I’m guessing that’s why this happened.

This is the kind of thing I’m hoping will get changed. There’s nothing wrong with the name at all and it just seems bizarre for character names to be so specific.

Putting in backstory stuff would be nice and all but that’s a wyci issue while admins just changing how they deal with the name guildelines seems (at least from an outsiders point of view) fairly simple.

1 Like

whothefuck

“typically with Asian origins.”

5 Likes

Should just be named to anything that sounds like a name you’d give a IRL cat with no last name. Something like Snowball, Leo, Concrete, etc.

2 Likes
9 Likes

Someone says this once a week, without fail.
It’s so overdone, we get it, you were raised by humans. Blah blah blah blah get new material.

2 Likes

I’ve worked at vet clinics for three years, I have more names where that comes from if you want em.

8 Likes

My Lizard was raised by the Welsh.
:sunglasses:

5 Likes

On personal note, while ideally naming policy would be more of a guideline but there are usually a lot of awful names being used. Either IRL references or poorly disguised memes. Also people picking very odd names for what they are. Hence the strictness

1 Like

Panzerkampfwagen V

2 Likes