How important should naming conventions be on Bee?

get well soon my friend

3 Likes

This is a clown. Conventions do not apply.

4 Likes

thats a clown, clowns are allowed joke names, normal crew however cannot, case in point:

5 Likes

Oh so more lizards and not people?

Oh I know still very LRP

2 Likes

Voilet, tell me your secret to getting away with illegal names

2 Likes

Got pretty lucky with mine. Was parading around with my name as CBOS as a moth for weeks. Admins only asked me once after I ahelped for something else and I told them the backstory. Changed it to Cordswitch Bos of my own accord IC.

5 Likes

idunno what’cha talking about officer everything is in order as you can see… now i gotta go

8 Likes

Though I understand the need for the policy I feel that at the current moment with the server it seems like an imbalance with the rest of the rules. I don’t even think that many HRP servers actually have as strict rules for names as Bee does at the moment.

I think the naming guideline page needs a serious update then since there is zero mention of this on there.

4 Likes

I hate naming policies. Especially Lizard guidelines. Why are the names of lizards in common? shouldn’t they be in draconian?
(I think this is a lore issue, we don’t even know which language is spoken by these species).

END OF DAILY LORE SHILLING.

4 Likes

I hold a personal head canon that the reason lizard names are so stupid is because they’re a poor translation from dranconian made during early cross species relation and they just stuck for the convenience of the common speakers. And then the lizard names that don’t follow the verb-the-noun convention are closer to their actual translation and that’s why the ashwalkers who haven’t interacted with Nanotrasen before never have a verb-the-noun name (at least I don’t think they can spawn with one, might be making that up)

3 Likes

Well since lizard naming conventions are stolen from Elder Scrolls then it could be assumed it’s safe to use Elder Scrolls’ reasons for their names being in common. Which is explained with either that it’s the lizards name roughly translated into common for example Haj-Ei can be translated into Hides-His-Eyes. The second reason Elder Scrolls use is that the lizard’s commo name is more of a given name/nickname given by common speakers that describes the lizard. Possibly because the common speaker can’t pronounce the lizard’s actual name or simply it’s just a nickname.

3 Likes

on the rules page, section one. though should also be a given

2 Likes

ikr, these rules seem overly… Draconian in their nature…

~

payaso-eso
I’m sorry

2 Likes

ihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyouihateyou

They’re can go either way easily.

The default names (the ones chosen randomly and assigned to ashwalkers) are in a style that very much looks like a native tongue of sorts. The lizards which have spent more time with society are more inclined to use societal names.

As many know the naming conventions are based off of the Elder Scrolls franchise, where the lizard people (argonians, or in their own native tongue, Saxhleel) follow the same two naming conventions generally:

1. “Common” names, which those who spend most of their lives outside of Black Marsh (their homeland) use because they are easier to remember and pronounce.

2. Their traditional Saxhleel names, which are in their native tongue. This is the naming convention that Ashwalkers and default naming uses and includes names such as:

• Chath-Jaa
    • Ahaht-Naat
    • Ajim-Jaa
    • Desh-Tei

TL;DR a draconian, traditional name is completely allowed within the naming convention. It’s what I play when I play lizard, and also I tend to connect far better with other lizards who use this convention even if I’m not playing one because they tend to actually act like a lizard instead of a human. (And it’s perfectly fine and makes sense for a verbs-the-noun lizard to act more like a human given the implied roots of having a name like this instead of a traditional one)

I had a fantastic round with one I couldn’t even understand last night due to the foreigner trait.

2 Likes

Weird cat names I’ve heard over the years:

• Pancake
  • Chicken Nugget
  • Rebar
  • Old Man McGuffin
  • Four-Wheel Drive
  • Shithead (bit the owner the moment she got him, has the nickname “poopy” when children were near)
  • Ricky Dicky the Second (cat was a clone that the owner paid about $25,000 to get the original Ricky Dicky cloned)
  • Beans
  • Tortilla
  • Tor-tilla
  • Dilbert
  • Fredericksburg (named after the town in Texas he was found in)
  • Oracle (the cat was born with no eyes, could sense when a hand was near her and bite with 100% accuracy)
  • Big Tex
  • Cornhole
  • Trump 2016 (wish I was kidding, he told us he was gonna get a dog and name it Trump 2020 for the next election since his “prediction was right”. Don’t work in vet clinics anymore so I have no clue if he fulfilled on his word)
  • Doggy
  • Kolache
  • Jollibee
  • Gaylord
  • Grinch
10 Likes

Naming RULES are utterly stupid and contribute little to nothing beyond just making it painful for people to make any sort of character that steps outside the arbitrarily decided lines. The only naming rule that should exist are “No meme names/references.” If someone wants a stupid name, let them have it. If it goes too far, bwoink them for it. As it stands, it feels like most of the actions taken when it comes to character names are not for actual rule breaking names, but mostly for people who just don’t follow the rule exactly as written.

Entire alien races cant just be one homogeneous cultural entity. I know there’s the funny “haha lizard raised by humans” argument, but there’s a lot more nuance that can go into a name and you can come up with infinite reasons for why someone is named what they are. It’s entirely a moderation issue and the fact that a so-called RP server has literally stricter naming guidelines than some real life names use is at the very least weird, to avoid using harsher words.

5 Likes

Skill issue, stop using human names.

My gripes with the Naming conventions have been going on for… what, a year and a half now?

I said it then and ill say it now. Its comically over restrictive. Not only does it stifle actually creative names, It’s a massive waste of an admins time, hunting down every minor deviation from a ridged set of allowed archetypes sterotypes instead of just looking out for names that are actually a problem. You turned an enforcement issue into an even greater one in some sort of cruel irony.

Chemical compounds being restricted for Plasmamen is a fking travesty… It shouldn’t matter what form they naturally take, a cool sounding compound is a cool sounding compound and I hope this is overturned if nothing else is… Chlorine Trifluoride my beloved.

Got Bwoinked myself for being called Norman Green as a slime (which I didnt even mean to join as, ticket got insta closed with no chance at a response so it stuck)
and go see the moth guidelines for the uphill fight that was…
I understand why you set it that way Ruko… But are you saying that in universe, not a single geneticist deviated even slightly? Or is the argument that they are regulated and outlawed, because that is, while a valid reason in universe, still kinda shitty.

Wish you all luck… I hope the race specific conventions fall. The only reasonable filters that exist should be:
-Offensive
-Pop culture
-Direct references (and Initial swaps too I guess… preference tho…)

There HAS been change in the past… Keep fighting for it. And ill do what I can myself.
God speed :saluting_face:

It’s so overdone, we get it, you were raised by humans.

So what? Would you prefer that they stay in the same uncreative box you keep pushing them into?

5 Likes