How important should naming conventions be on Bee?

I’m plenty accepting of situations where someone wants to come up with a genuine reason for a unique name, but this is just disappointing and in no way creative.

3 Likes

yare yare daze…

What if I name my lizard kota-kronathux…

Actually, I dont think that’s silly at all.
I’m not saying that the following explanation is what the lizard had necessarily thought of, but I’m willing to defend a human name for an alien:

People who move to another country sometimes change their name to a local one (be it a translation or a completely different name of their liking).
This happens for a variety of reasons, you can get a good explaination from people who actually had to go through this process of changing name.

Since NT is primarily human (of origin, population, language [EDIT:actually I Just remembered that we use galactic common, we dont have accents and dialects like Aurora], etc) I dont think a similar behaviour would completely be out of place, and it can definetly give some depth to the environment (Beestation humans and lizards just seem to have the same identical culture and traditions? This obviously is a pretty huge flaw. Like i get it, globalisation and capitalism promote conformity, but this is ridiculous lol)

4 Likes

We’re just ignoring that someone just paid to have his cat cloned? Hello???

Also I miss being Fridge Friar

6 Likes

I think naming rules are restrictive. They’re usually not enforced unless explicitly complained about, leading to what feels like arbitrary punishment for a meaningless offence.

Ban people who call themselves utterly stupid names. Allow the rest, especially because this is a game where, using random names only, a ninja called Raiden can duel a wizard called Gandalf the White, who is wielding Thor’s hammer and a stand while a clown called Red Dead Redemption 2 watches and plays circus music.

11 Likes

I can’t say it’s any more creative than the millionth “Does-The-Thing” lizard around.

3 Likes

Allad-Minsa-Recucks will forever be the funniest lizard name i’ve ever seen

1 Like

Yeah that checks out.

1 Like

Like geneva conventions beforehand, change it to naming suggestion.

1 Like

I would actually wonder how many people really ahelp over the name of someone. Unless it’s a incredibly offensive I would think it’s pretty petty to complain that a lizard has a human name or an Plasmamen doesn’t have exactly what’s written in the guildlines.

Also somone mentioned here that they didn’t have trouble with their name until they ahelped over something unrelated so it is enfored really whenever an admin feels like it or notices the name.

4 Likes

This is usually the case as far as I know. Admins have the authority to make exceptions to rules when there’s a special case here and there, but can’t openly ignore a rule just because they disagree with it.

If they’re not the sort of person that really notices or cares about names, that usually means only noticing when it’s pointed out.

Hi. I report names as soon as I see them so that it’s less painful for the person when someone does eventually realize further down the road, whether it be because of a grudge or just because they ended up under the magnifying glass for questionable behavior at some point. I really wish there was a good system in place for people who come up with a reasonable exception to naming, such as the ability to give a blurb about your character somewhere for others to see so they can know how to approach interactions with you. I’m not fond of “Oh but you see I was raised by X” because of how lazy and overdone of a story this is, but it is at least an explanation and a character trait that can be used in other scenarios. You won’t feel a special kinship toward others of your physical kind, but might towards those that raised you.

What I absolutely abhor are people who do one of two things though:

1. Pick a race for purely mechanical advantages instead of any actual desire to RP as an alien race on a space station. You deserve to be a boring human instead of powergaming race traits so you can go do fusion in isolation without wearing protection.

2. Pick a race and then do nothing whatsoever to act like that race. You just think it looks cool and don’t actually care about being an alien for any sort of RP. Not all moths have to like lamps, but for gods sake don’t pick a moth and then actively complain IC when you realize you can’t eat meat because it’s toxic for your biology.

4 Likes

There has to be SOME kind of regulation or this is going to happen every round:
[Security] Sigma Gamer says, “Set Amon Gus to arrest.”
[Security] Dante From The Devil May Cry Series says, “Which one?”

I think what we have is mostly alright. Restrictions are the key to creativity. Also, it’s nice to be able to tell someone’s race by their name. Some of them could use a little more freedom, I’ll go one by one.

Lizard names are perfectly fine. Two broad concepts.
Apids. Bees, flowers, puns, seems cool. The wording on the wiki is really really tight for some reason. I would be annoyed if I saw admins get on someone for being slightly off policy. (Side note, why can’t they use latin like moths?)
I’ve never seen an Ethereal in my life and maybe this is why.
IPC names are very good. Best example of restrictions allowing for creativity.
Felinid naming policy… really lends credence to the whole “this race is just human with cat ears” criticism.
Oozeling naming policy is just stupid. You should be allowed to do color-adjacent stuff like fruit flavors, etc… And this “son” thing can really go.
Moth names seem good to me, multiple options just like lizards.
Plasmamen names are okay, but they could use a little extra besides elements/element-like. Minerals?

1 Like

There is an admin with an off-policy ethereal name that is close enough nobody has ever complained, even the tight-asses like me. His IC name is Atlas.

The only other Ethereal I even know of goes by Coma YS. They’re unfortunately very hard to notice unless the lights go out.

Because it literally, canonically is - They are not an alien race. They’re degenerate humans that underwent genetic modification, and the “typically asian in origin” was a nod to being weebs.
Yes, I’m serious.

This was only changed after some crusading by @Syrox01 to be fair. Used to be only latin names but they presented a really good naming convention that helped broaden them in a unique way.

Some moths are taking pretty heavy liberties with it though and I feel like it’s getting pushed a bit further than it should be.

2 Likes

Didn’t mean to make this two posts initially

This makes more sense if you read their info-blurb which was recently added to the wiki. It’s the lore I wrote up for them when they were conceptualized as a race.

Nanotrasen has previously created many serums which modify the very biology of test subjects, notably including full genetic transformations into slimlike humanoids. (pretend for argument’s sake that these are from genetics - they may be in the future anyway) Likewise there have been many breakthroughs in the Xenobiology division, producing very well trained slimes, and a few rare specimens even resembling human-like intelligence. Taking into account the speed with which slimes can procreate when provided sufficient food, a joint project was formed of a partnership between these two divisions… Oozelings are the result of that joint research. Taking the healthiest of the more intelligent slimes and processing the prior genetics research in reverse to apply more humanoid characteristics to young slimes. Nanotrasen is now able to mass produce loyal humanoids which are biologically ideal for work on Nanotrasen’s plasma research stations. Oozelings inherit the name of the Scientist responsible for the strain and are definitely not brainwashed with propaganda from birth, and are also definitely not borderline slaves or otherwise born of questionably unethical roots of any sort.

They, like moths, were going to get an expanded naming scheme, albeit only slightly. I’m not sure whatever happened to it, but they were supposed to be enabled to have last names ending in -dottir too at some point.

1 Like

We both know I avoided both of those pitfalls.

I played a race because of the downsides.
My name had reasons for it to be like that.

Despite that I still got slapped for it. Altho I am glad you finally came around on it…
I wish the same for all races. If it fits, it fits

Chemical compound names fit Plasmamen
Oozling could be less restrictive, allowing more creative uses of colour anywhere in the name… and personally I use fruits.
Colour X-son seems… a bit much (someone being called Big Green should warrant a full perma ban tho :P)

The only other Ethereal I even know of goes by Coma YS

Ethereal is kinda rare but havent really had complaints from their players…
-Canopus AC
-Spica MT
-Aquilla F

all seem happy with them…

1 Like

Atlas… isn’t a moth? I guess I never really had a good look at him…

That it does. The -dottir would be a nice addition.

I feel like all of this is pretty reasonable.

1 Like

He’s an Ethereal.

1 Like

Yes, I was just pointing out that I’m dumb and knew one all this time. Somehow never noticed until you pointed it out.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, with most of our races being barely reskinned human shapes, it is pretty hard to notice someone’s race in many cases, especially if their name isn’t flush with guidelines and you don’t run around doing >examine on everyone you see.

Genders have it even worse.

2 Likes