Let's say I'm coding an emag nerf, vote on would you want it to be

You also don’t get to say ‘oh woe is me all the coders are lazy and are only making bad changes but I can’t make any’ when the codebase is open source and you are free to revert them and make your own buffs.

2 Likes

It’s a minor buff in exchange for a minor nerf, as well as some characteristics that are more like a sidegrade:

• Door is still open and accessible to everyone
  • Door is now possible to partially secure by bolting it while shut
  • The use of emag on door is still easily possible to infer from evidence
  • It is less immediately obvious that an emag was used, resulting in less “TRAITOR”

Edit for clarity after discord ping:

I’m suggesting that stripping access be the only thing emagging an airlock does. It won’t disable AI control or do anything else aside from making the door public access. It becomes slightly stealthier, but also slightly less strong in general.

Wires need to be accessible for Emag to work, meaning that normal doors can just have a screwdriver pop panel and then you emag - while reinforced doors need an extra set of tools and an extra step to remove the reinforcing cover. Makes getting into high-priority zones more of a challenge.

1 Like

That’s one of the options listed, yes

Yes, but what TG did is not what I or anyone else here (for the most part) seems to be supporting. Seeing a poll, which includes the option to change nothing and does not include total removal, and accusing someone of trying to remove something is just bad faith strawman / drama posting.

This reminds me of the classic: ‘‘Oh vault doors are bolted? better use the emag!’’ thus leaving the vault bugged and closed

And your original comment makes no sense if that is what you were talking about when you said this:

Because what I’m talking about doing to emags isn’t even close to what TG did to them. I thought you were talking in reference to what I was saying to @McMashugana, not what I suggested since correlating what I was suggesting to TG, again, makes no sense.

We can try to start over where you clearly tell me what you meant if you want, because I frankly have no idea what you’re even talking about anymore.

To put this another way, let’s consider a world where an emag is a must-pick
that’s 6 tc gone before you even get a choice
it means, functionally, traitors get an emag and 14tc to spend, rather than 20.
nerfing the emag, in this case, would take it away but give traitors 6 more tc to spend.

I have to say that while making airlocks with covered wiring makes the most sense, can’t hack what you can’t access and makes my “SECURE COMMAND” brain happy, I can see why people would think that isn’t the way to go, since it would make being Sneaky harder, forcing folks to cut open secured airlocks first before getting to where they want to go.

I personally, on several occasions have made use of the less potent Steel plate reinforcement on SEC doors to keep pesky wire hackers from having such a simple time getting into my brig. which is what makes me think the auto repeating 25% and growing option seem abit better for keeping the Emag versatile.

I also voted for the “limited number of recharging uses” option since spamming an E-mag to get what you want, be that all the doors in your way to open, basic equipment sabotage, or hacking every computer in an area undermines some of the espionage aspects of it, the E-mag should feel like a “get in, hack that, get the fuck out” tool, not a “ALL THE ELECTRONICS BEND TO MY WILL” tool.

1 Like

Being powerful doesn’t mean it always is suppoded to be nerfed. Sometimes it should be remained as it is.

3 Likes

My personal suggestion for emag is that it should have more unexpectable results.
For example, airlock is always bolted open and wire is cutted.
What if it does one of things below ramdoly? One of A types and one of B types will be chosen. (Airlock example)

[A type]

• strips accesses fully
  • override syndicate access
  • always deny
  • opens and bolt down, and cuts power wire (original)

[B type]

• cuts safety wire, and close time is very short
  • will automatically open when it is closed
  • instantly closed when there is a person in it(+cuts safety wire)
  • repeats open and close in a short interval
  • always beeping access deny alarm
  • bolt down and open in a short interval

It just being powerful isn’t the problem. The problem is that relative to it’s price and compared to other traitor items it has way too much utility. Doesn’t help that the go to solution for adding antag functions to something seems to be to make it emmagable.

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: Coding bickering thread

I fail to see as to why you think an emag nerf is necessary? It is a nice utility item to have and has many uses. Are traitors too powerful or does it diminish rp in any way? I would say no. I know security players want a free redtext and prevent antags from putting up any fight but making secure areas immune to emag is just harsh.

1 Like

It’s only 6 TC, probably the most bought item and is in fact so good you’re at a big disadvantage when you don’t buy one.

Your bait is too obvious my guy.

Idea that everyone will hate: 2tc for a box of single use emags.
And they don’t vanish on use.

Calling a disagreeing opinion bait… how classic. And you still didnt tell me, why is it bad that emag is good? Are there not supposed to be good options? It is incredibly useful indeed but literally no one is forcing you to buy one.

Good on paper but really ineffictive when made. Some things are there for a reason being cost and ability effective. Emags exist so you do not barg to doors either stealing IDs or hacking manuallly. Why the hell would I pay half of my TC to just mess with APCs?

Do you guys do not have this concept of landscaping or understanding that for each action has reaction? If you remove something or change it this thing will be replaced or surrounded with what we call “void” and voids natually around space and time create a chaos in some scale that messes things up and breaks order. If emags are about to be nerfed then something must be added or changed to compliment what it was doing. This includes, function, price, ability. space, code. art etc etc etc.

Is this sort of inflation? This is like modifying a recipe to fit the current price for the product. Product is good and used a lot but expensive to make and its income is low? Change the recipe tomake it taste the same, price the same, but made out of trash ingerdients.

Be reasonable.

1 Like

esports ready codebase :clown_face:
Did bee start pulling notes from ubisoft or has lead plumbing just made general a resurgence?

1 Like

Emag was already nerfed, if you emag a bolted door, now it’s stay closes and it circuit broke.
For this I don’t think it requires a nerf.
Before this nerf bolted doors would open if emaged and only welded, unpower or broken doors would stay closes against an emag.
Also I like emaging stuf around.