Coding bickering thread

force crossed to save money from donations and hire 1 “professional” game dev

I used LOGIC, youtube and my talks with the coder bus to DEVINE the process described.

I can make a new thread if you have specific ideas you’d like me to implement

1 Like

This is completely untrue when the games direction is set by headmins and maintainers

And maintainers will prioritize PRs that exist which they don’t hate over those that don’t exist because servers have a shortage of labor.

/tg/'s been RUINING THE GAME TG WILL NEVER RECOVER FROM THIS for years and generally has had mild increases in player-count to show for it.

Feedback in SS13 is HEAVILY skewed by selection bias.

4 Likes

Make it so if you’re a clown you can kick your shoe at people and it goes “honk” but does nothing else

2 Likes

Reading this thread is making me feel like I’m reliving when I made my post that essentially was just complaining about coders .

I think this thread needs to be closed and you need to take a break from the game and read over the comments. It was what I needed at least.

My only other comment is that it’s a fair point to make that people could put time into learning how to code and that they should if they want to make unique things within the game, or even simple things. If you have time to play the game, you do have time to learn how to code for it. I can make the PR that would address my issues with the silver slime PR I salted heavily over, it’s a simple changing of a number and removal of some times. Do I honestly have a reason why I haven’t made that PR within the 8-ish months since I made that thread, not really. I could’ve easily put in time to make the PR and then look on how I can propose other changes as I learn, but I flatly didn’t. All it would take is just taking the time to do something else than what I usually do, but use it to learn to code. It’s simple to do, but you yourself need to actively make the effort to do so. After reading this thread and seeing the guide to coding, might as well divert time into making that PR and seeing if I want to try more

1 Like

Ironically also selection bias, since you can’t know what the station would be like if the coders had gone the other way on things.

People just don’t like being treated badly. It’s not that deep.

If you say “hey, wouldn’t it be cool if X” and you get replies from a coder etc that says “god I fucking hate non-coders that complain about the game” then you are rightfully going to feel dismissed, condescended to and disparaged.

Seriously. 99% of the coder hate is because the default response from the beestation coders/maintainers is “shut the fuck up NON-STAFF WYCI WYCI WYCI”.

Slippable blood is a perfectly reasonable and sound idea. Implementation was easy, haters rejected it. :pensive:

1 Like

That’s not what said at all, guy just wanted to bitch and moan about ‘muh coders only nerfing’

Not talking about your specific situation, bud.
If you want to understand what I’m trying to say, I suggest you reread the post and try to think about it in a vacuum.

That’s what started the thing.
And you wanna know why “wyci” is the usual responce? We’re people too, we also play the game and dedicate some of our free time to coding. If the idea seems cool to us, we code it in. If the idea is '“wouldn’t it be nice to have TG wounds/Baymed” the responce is “we’ll need to unfuck kapulimbs and our 7+ damage procs across ~1500 uses and nobody has the motivation to do that”.
Just keep in mind that all coders here are volunteers and if you really want to see an idea get implemented you should probably post a bounty for it.

I wouldn’t mind the response you’ve just given.

This should help!
I dont know why we didnt copy their file structure in the first place

“this just reeks of entitlement”
they are entitled. they’re the ones who took the time to learn to code, and who take the time to do the work on coding for bee. thus, they are entitled to the privilege of choosing what to code, seeing as nothing would get done without them. see how that works?
this thread is the motivation i needed to start learning. thanks @Ruko for posting the guide above

1 Like

i doubt there’s any hope for the random pperson asking for X to “code it themselves”
nor for the singular coder… when talking about reworking LE MEDCODE and maybe kapulimbs.
so unless a coalition of coders is formed consider it a untouchable monolith

1 Like

I read this and now I too want it.
why have you introduced me to a world that won’t have people slipping on blood and thus not wanting more janitors?

Im telling you, i coded it, it was working great, someone else did a pr too, but they rejected it… Humanity is not ready for such realism in ss13 where a pool of blood is actually slippery. (And the backbone is there since theres a variable called ‘bloodiness’ or what so a presence of that is enough for a condition to call slipping on someone)

Hi that was me.

Come up with an original (at least to me, didn’t know someone else attempted) idea to improve gameplay interactions in a meaningful way that encourages RP and avoiding huge disgusting bloodbaths.

“Oh my god this will be terrible”
“Do you know how much of a pain this will be”

Yes. I do. At first. Also plenty of hilarious shenanigans too.
And after a pretty brief adjustment period, I think the game will be much better for it.

It could maybe added when Borbop ports liquids upstream from Monke.