Why MRP stands for Minimum RP and why it has to change +how to change

Hello, Gordon!

1 Like

eh, I’ve mostly stopped playing ss13 but I will chime in to add my two cents to this since it’s an MRP thing, when Sage first started rounds where the entire crew was dead or the station was in disarray was the exception not the norm, I loved LRP I’d hop on and play every so often even when I moved to MRP just because there were a lot more people just being themselves instead of a character on there, but what I do have a problem with is playing MRP like LRP. it’s kind of like Yeah I enjoy tomatoes, but I don’t really like them in a salad. although I’m not expecting it to be High RP I do want the Higher MRP of before,

people would talk in comms to request things when I was working in xenobio, and they’d wait at the window while I got done with whatever I was doing and went up there

I was arrested as a traitor and put in perma instead of getting my head chopped off by valid hunters so even though I was taken out of the round I was at least still in it.

as a chef on ten population rounds, I’d break into secure tool storage get tools repair whatever I broke and went to hack the botanist stuff so I could get ingredients, ended up killing a HoP traitor who pretended like security was after me to get me into the abandoned brig to kill me and then I used the meat I got from putting him in the grinder to make my first ever Cak
after getting done with my jobs in genetics with nothing to do I made a deal with cargo that I’d go explore space and bring them loot back in return for a motorcycle.

or the time Owen and I switched identities in genetics and I was just going around screaming “I Owen McShain am a felinid” and then he ended up tricking people into thinking he was me and got me beat up and thrown out of cargo,

or heck the time I rescued another traitor and then a changeling changed our identities to get us away from security.
Me leading a bunch of lizards away from the station to protest someone yelling at us for speaking draconic and ending up being the only person who got out of the skeleton gateway
the point is these were MRP they allowed us to make jokes and do fun gimmicks while also putting everyone at a standard that they at least had to follow while saving room for fun stuff, it wouldn’t be allowed on HRP but it was MRP, people valid hunt or greytide and use RP as an excuse instead of just admitting that they really just want another LRP server, people would keep complaining about LRP being low pop but when someone would say “join it so the pop will raise” they’d just say it’s not worth their time and that they prefer high pop which is how we ended up in this situation. And like I said I really do enjoy LRP, I started out on LRP and really it’s where I learned how to roleplay and where I met most of the people I do today, but I’d rather have LRP on LRP
we’d have rounds that lasted hours, to the point where I’m pretty sure we had a round that lasted a whole night, instead of the one hour rounds of people calling the shuttle because they didn’t get traitor, ((which is what I enjoyed about LRP because I could get more rounds before I would go to bed
I dunno I’m just rambling and not really adding anything to this I don’t think, just wanted to say what I considered MRP at the time and just leave this here to kind of add my thoughts of it, sorry for the wall of text.
TL;DR:MRP and LRP are just slightly different and most people take that “slightly” to mean that MRP is just LRP when in reality it isn’t, and also the people who want to treat MRP like HRP are wrong to

4 Likes

i want my mro 8 our long rounds back ;-;

1 Like

STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM! Nobody breaks the law on my watch. I’m confiscating your stolen goods. NOW PAY YOUR FINE, or it’s off to jail!

it sall be payed whit blood then.

We already have a rule about doing your job and powergaming

Make a PR

See first reply

Can’t get more specific than the policy we already have. Enforcing speech patterns that harshly wouldn’t really be MRP. Silicon policy - BeeStation Wiki

I’m going to basically re-write all the rules at some point to reflect on the current rulings and for ease of reading them but I don’t think the rules we have right now are insufficient. A lot of specifics have already been ruled on in New Rulings and are being continued to be ruled on with Council votes.

1 Like

After seeing how even the LRP /tg/ servers have more roleplay I think a big part of it is the server config.

Bee spawns more antags in general, which is why every blue shift gets so chaotic. When you’ve got so many antags who are doing their best to kill and sabotage the station everyone is more paranoid and affected by their actions.

Likewise another useful mechanic would be the possibility for fake greenshifts. Either the blue shift threat report being fake and there being no antags at all, or getting a green shift no threats alert but there actually being antags.

It would mean people don’t subconsciously prep or do mild powergame in anticipation of threats because it’s likely that there are none at all. Instead you default to doing the same routine regardless of threat reports and only concerning yourself with antags once they actually show themselves.

almost like people voted for the PR that made mid round events/antags more likely
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

It’s almost like Golden and Sage have such a different playerbase target that we need to have slightly seperate codebases for each of them since changes made for the sake of one often sacrifice the other.

Votes and popularity contests for things that benefit exclusively one of the two servers at the cost of the other are not good.

The thing is, the greenshifts are usually the rounds where the shit goes beyond your imagination and control.

Hmm I can’t seem to find the vote or PR for that but it does ring a bell. Either way it’s likely a config option already which can be set per server rather than for both.

I was thinking the other day how slightly different maps for each server can benefit things too. Giving a public deputy gear vendor on LRP for all the validhunters, making the Brig easier to break into and equip yourself on LRP etc. Up to maintainers if they would allow that though.

More greenshifts are a good thing for RP and other MRP/HRP servers prove that. Crazy antics should happen still because this isn’t HRP, and admins are there for if it gets too crazy that actual rules are being broken.

You can’t have a cake, put it next to another cake, and then expect your cake to not get eaten.

But when one cake is chocolate and one is vanilla and the people who enjoy vanilla and don’t like the taste of chocolate decide to eat chocolate because most people in the room are eating chocolate then complaining that it’s not like vanilla, it’s a problem

6 Likes

Fuck it, just buy the bakery.

1 Like

MRP just means actually try to do your job

botanists should be able to make whatever the hell they want, so long as they are responsible for the chaos if it spills out; just like xenobio.

MRP has always been a hard thing to maintain. Most servers stick to LRP/no RP or go for HRP. It’s hard to say when too much RP requirements makes it HRP, or when allowing so many shenanigans makes it LRP.

Personally, I see MRP as a LRP but with less yelling, and people actually trying to do what their role is supposed to do (not necessarily the right thing but neither let their role go to waste and become a glorified assistant with a department’s uniform) and behave like human beings and not neanderthals that fuck off roundstart to get AA. But everyone has different views, and no MRP server is the same.

I don’t frequent MRP (hell, I think I only played there 2-3 times when I wasn’t an admeme anymore and that’s why I enjoyed the lowpop and seeing @DimitriSTK88 / Sirio as Captain) so I don’t know how bad things are, but just keep in mind that keeping a balance is extremely difficult, if not impossible.

There will always be people complaining about not enforcing enough RP and breaking muh immersion

And there will always be people who want to be allowed to make methnades, say ‘poggers’ and grow death neetles just for the memes.

2 Likes

Even if you think that RP is hard to gauge (Which it honestly is), we are in high neanderthal territory, low humans. At least Neanderthals showed pro-social behavior. Last night, people just kept breaking into EVA because… reasons. At the end, none of them were antags.

Striking a balance is impossible, probably. But that’s no excuse for the extreme LRP that we are now.

4 Likes

Suggestion post and you tell a person to make a PR to change something, come on. Not every person playing here wants/needs to learn how to code, that’s why people make a suggestion, so those that are capable may think of this idea and implement it.

3 Likes

So, from what I understand of LRP-MRP-HRP, here’s me summing it up with the examples of an engineer:

LRP - Do whatever you want, u gay if you tide but it’s not against the rules

MRP - Set the SM/power up, do some repairs when needed, then go do whatever you want

HRP - Only do things that are safe and fitting for an engineer, no crazy side projects

So implicitly MRP is something that is being pulled in both directions.

Thus, I believe we can tie the Medium part of the MRP to the idea of fulfilling you responsibilities first, then doing side fun projects later.

This is not very hard in the case of chemistry. Medbay running out of healing chems or is otherwise inadequately supplied, all because you decided “hehe, meth make me go zoom”? Your ass is on the line. You may, of course, waive these responsibilities with the approval of the CMO, but they exist else, and you may be noted/role banned for not fulfilling your job.

You may say “But there’s already a rule for it”, this I have never seen enforced outside of gross incompetency in the case of SM failure and such, else I have never seen nor heard of anybody receiving any punishment for it.

The problem is with more obscure roles, such as botany. I believe botany’s only responsibility is coordinating with the cook. Question being, what kind of responsibility can you reasonably give them, that would have them doing something productive for the entire station, but also give them enough time to do their crazy death plants?

Of course, the responsibility of said plants should be tied to them, similar to xenobio mobs, if anybody uses them to cause chaos/death/whatever, it also falls on the botanist.

All that being said, in the case of botany there’s, I believe, 4 maximum slots. At least 1, if not 2, should be doing something beneficial.

Thus, I believe this is the most realistic way this discussion should continue:

Enforce rule 14 A LOT more often.

Find a way to tie in new responsibilities to departments/roles/individuals that have too much liberty and too much power. Such as botany.

Also, xenobio should be its own separate sub-division of science, makes no sense how virology is a sub-department of medical but xeno is not one for science.

1 Like

People that use botany only to grief should be banned from playing it for a looong periods of time. It is not a vital department, but causes chaos in many rounds, so making deadly plants should be allowed, but it should be stated that using them against rules may result in severe punishment, and by SEVERE I don’t mean 3 day ban, go higher. Botnis have a lot of ways to ‘contain’ their plants, plant bags or just analyzing plant before harvest, and then putting it into biogenerator.

1 Like