Why MRP stands for Minimum RP and why it has to change +how to change

I believe that the spirit of this post is in the right place, but Perhaps the exact details are sorely lacking.

Re: Botany and Chemistry.
Back in the days when MRP was more enjoyable, people still did these large crazy-death-items. I personally feel that disallowing these projects would kill the fun of MRP- It’s MEDIUM role play, not HIGH role play. Ergo, I will ask for enforcement of an existing rule: Do your Job. As long as botany keeps the shelves stocked, grow those bomb pumpkins, you crazy devils! As long as chemistry keeps the fridge full of medical supplies, fuck around with chemicals! (There are things other than meth, though…)

IC-LOOC- Probably not the end of the world if a newbie asks in IC about stuff- MRP, not HRP. Still, differentiating LOOC from OOC seems like a pretty safe bet either way, so…

Rules Detailing- Sure, why not.

AI and Borgs- I’ve seen dumb shit from borgs and AI recently, although I don’t think Robots using slang is really that dumb. Also, gonna be frank, Binary chat is like the only place where I’d accept text emoticons. Makes sense to me, either way.

Devils- AI already SHOULD consider Devils Crew… Should being the operative word. Besides, devil sucks as is. I propose that devil should be a SIDE antag- offering Tators the tools to complete their objectives, and victims and security abilities to fight back. Admittedly, that’s an ideal, but oh well.

Sage Only Bans- Why are we so damned skimpy on these?

Anyway, that’s my 2c, certain other people have ideas too.

2 Likes

perhaps you are right here about botany and chemistry, i am sure everyone would be happy if they just did what they had to do.

about borgs, emoticons is not a problem, its how they speak, showing affection or anger. they act with too many emotions involved.

Devils- last time i ahelped that and was marked as IC issue by admin.

i am being a bit harsh in what i said, but i really just want this place to be better for people who actually try. and for people who really wants their MRP.

MRP servers can vary greatly. Not every MRP server needs to have the same level of RP as para, Fulpstation is way more lax than para and I’d still consider that MRP.

how is Golden diffrent from Sage ?

You’re less likely to get banned for killing people. And bans are usually shorter.

Which basically makes no diffrence in gameplay if you are not a traitor, or shitter.

Yes it does, people are more afraid to kill others and thus will kill less. Also on MRP admins actually enforce the antag conduct and shit. Electrocution does more damage and movement is slower. There are plenty of differences, you don’t come off as the kind of person who plays or really understands LRP and how different it is from sage.

I started as LRP player as most of us. And i am running away from that and as previously said, i expect more.

there might be few diffrences, but basically. they are not a game changers.
I aknowledge that i might not get LRP server at all, because for the past few months i play MRP only, but it goes both ways, i think for those who play LRP it will be hard to understand MRP behaviors and gameplay. I understand LRP players expect something else, and MRP expect somethign else as well.
I do not wish any changes to LRP i just wish MRP was an actual MRP not an LRP with more game changes mechanics.

MRP players have diffrent needs and it should be respected as long as those 2 servers are separated.
Also it cannot be denied, the MRP level dropped dramatically down and even administration has noticed that, i simply think the steps they took are not enough to restore how it was.

Hello, Gordon!

1 Like

eh, I’ve mostly stopped playing ss13 but I will chime in to add my two cents to this since it’s an MRP thing, when Sage first started rounds where the entire crew was dead or the station was in disarray was the exception not the norm, I loved LRP I’d hop on and play every so often even when I moved to MRP just because there were a lot more people just being themselves instead of a character on there, but what I do have a problem with is playing MRP like LRP. it’s kind of like Yeah I enjoy tomatoes, but I don’t really like them in a salad. although I’m not expecting it to be High RP I do want the Higher MRP of before,

people would talk in comms to request things when I was working in xenobio, and they’d wait at the window while I got done with whatever I was doing and went up there

I was arrested as a traitor and put in perma instead of getting my head chopped off by valid hunters so even though I was taken out of the round I was at least still in it.

as a chef on ten population rounds, I’d break into secure tool storage get tools repair whatever I broke and went to hack the botanist stuff so I could get ingredients, ended up killing a HoP traitor who pretended like security was after me to get me into the abandoned brig to kill me and then I used the meat I got from putting him in the grinder to make my first ever Cak
after getting done with my jobs in genetics with nothing to do I made a deal with cargo that I’d go explore space and bring them loot back in return for a motorcycle.

or the time Owen and I switched identities in genetics and I was just going around screaming “I Owen McShain am a felinid” and then he ended up tricking people into thinking he was me and got me beat up and thrown out of cargo,

or heck the time I rescued another traitor and then a changeling changed our identities to get us away from security.
Me leading a bunch of lizards away from the station to protest someone yelling at us for speaking draconic and ending up being the only person who got out of the skeleton gateway
the point is these were MRP they allowed us to make jokes and do fun gimmicks while also putting everyone at a standard that they at least had to follow while saving room for fun stuff, it wouldn’t be allowed on HRP but it was MRP, people valid hunt or greytide and use RP as an excuse instead of just admitting that they really just want another LRP server, people would keep complaining about LRP being low pop but when someone would say “join it so the pop will raise” they’d just say it’s not worth their time and that they prefer high pop which is how we ended up in this situation. And like I said I really do enjoy LRP, I started out on LRP and really it’s where I learned how to roleplay and where I met most of the people I do today, but I’d rather have LRP on LRP
we’d have rounds that lasted hours, to the point where I’m pretty sure we had a round that lasted a whole night, instead of the one hour rounds of people calling the shuttle because they didn’t get traitor, ((which is what I enjoyed about LRP because I could get more rounds before I would go to bed
I dunno I’m just rambling and not really adding anything to this I don’t think, just wanted to say what I considered MRP at the time and just leave this here to kind of add my thoughts of it, sorry for the wall of text.
TL;DR:MRP and LRP are just slightly different and most people take that “slightly” to mean that MRP is just LRP when in reality it isn’t, and also the people who want to treat MRP like HRP are wrong to

4 Likes

i want my mro 8 our long rounds back ;-;

1 Like

STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM! Nobody breaks the law on my watch. I’m confiscating your stolen goods. NOW PAY YOUR FINE, or it’s off to jail!

it sall be payed whit blood then.

We already have a rule about doing your job and powergaming

Make a PR

See first reply

Can’t get more specific than the policy we already have. Enforcing speech patterns that harshly wouldn’t really be MRP. Silicon policy - BeeStation Wiki

I’m going to basically re-write all the rules at some point to reflect on the current rulings and for ease of reading them but I don’t think the rules we have right now are insufficient. A lot of specifics have already been ruled on in New Rulings and are being continued to be ruled on with Council votes.

1 Like

After seeing how even the LRP /tg/ servers have more roleplay I think a big part of it is the server config.

Bee spawns more antags in general, which is why every blue shift gets so chaotic. When you’ve got so many antags who are doing their best to kill and sabotage the station everyone is more paranoid and affected by their actions.

Likewise another useful mechanic would be the possibility for fake greenshifts. Either the blue shift threat report being fake and there being no antags at all, or getting a green shift no threats alert but there actually being antags.

It would mean people don’t subconsciously prep or do mild powergame in anticipation of threats because it’s likely that there are none at all. Instead you default to doing the same routine regardless of threat reports and only concerning yourself with antags once they actually show themselves.

almost like people voted for the PR that made mid round events/antags more likely
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

It’s almost like Golden and Sage have such a different playerbase target that we need to have slightly seperate codebases for each of them since changes made for the sake of one often sacrifice the other.

Votes and popularity contests for things that benefit exclusively one of the two servers at the cost of the other are not good.

The thing is, the greenshifts are usually the rounds where the shit goes beyond your imagination and control.

Hmm I can’t seem to find the vote or PR for that but it does ring a bell. Either way it’s likely a config option already which can be set per server rather than for both.

I was thinking the other day how slightly different maps for each server can benefit things too. Giving a public deputy gear vendor on LRP for all the validhunters, making the Brig easier to break into and equip yourself on LRP etc. Up to maintainers if they would allow that though.

More greenshifts are a good thing for RP and other MRP/HRP servers prove that. Crazy antics should happen still because this isn’t HRP, and admins are there for if it gets too crazy that actual rules are being broken.