Making LRP decent pop again

I’m not anyone important I can’t answer that kinda question. I will say I haven’t heard any serious new attempts to change it since the vote, but I have seen things merged that lost votes and votes seem less common then they used to be. I’m just talking really, don’t take anything I say as what the server is gonna do. If there’s another speed vote I’ll vote to make the speeds the same, otherwise I’m honestly irrelevant.

1 Like

Perfectly fine you had a respectable discussion with me over it and even gave me some new info I didn’t previously know about how votes are going which is worrying if what you say is true but same as the rule changes coming up I can only hope for the best with these kind of things.

1 Like

dont fuck it up doe. Don’t make LRP into a felind friendly 5+ child server.
Keep the boning and add standard roleplay

4 Likes

I started playing SS13 on ye olde Beestation with like 100 players, 5 minute rounds and famous war criminals competing on who breaks the geneva convention more often.

As long as you only ban people for killing half the server without being antag, shit is fun. Keep it like that in LRP

Beestation anarchy good times :flushed:

5 Likes

Hiero: Speed is completely irrelevant unless you are a beginner who just runs away instead of dodging. You can completely tank hiero with just a pen and a core anyway. You have room for tons of mistakes if you do fight it, even more if you bring literally any heals. Admittedly speed does make the Hierophant easier but it does not really affect the fight in the sense that it’s already incredibly easy without it.

Drake: You dodge drake by moving one square to any direction, or two in case of arena. Its speed comparable to that of a slug. Suffice to say that you don’t need to move fast to deal with anything Drake can throw at you.

BDM: The only thing speed can help you with here is if you fuck up and have to run away. In an actual fight you’ll either tank the fucker, cheese him with hiero, or lure him down a tunnel in which case speed really doesn’t matter since you’ll be keeping close to him anyway to land hits.

Bubblegum is the only fauna that actually makes you wish you were faster, in order to cheese the slaughterlings and his enrage, as well as escape his illuisions easier. All of the others typically just offer an easier escape if you’re fast and aggro them for some reason unintentionally.

Source: Miner main lol

With all due respect - you played LRP during the time when it was the only server and should remember that before Sage existed, there were bans on LRP for poor RP conduct. It used to be treated as an RP server with minimal restrictions. You couldn’t speak OOC in IC chat, you couldn’t mention Admins or talk about ahelps in a round without being smited or banned. It used to be an actual Light RP server for nearly the entire year it was at its peak, and that only changed after Sage was introduced and hippie flowed in. There are ban records for poor RP that pre-date Sage’s existence.

And that’s not even what we (or at least I) am pushing towards. I support an NRP server where people can speak freely like they’re in a game, experiment with crazy things and put their game knowledge to the test by powergaming in any way they want to prep for inevitable antag attacks. I support optional RP for people who like doing gimmicks (Russian Cargo/Cannibal Chef) as long as they aren’t unjustifiably harmful.

I don’t support a server where players can get away with acting like an antag when they aren’t, or can “but I didn’t harm them!” their way out of being a dick and ruining someone else’s round, or with players that like starting fights just so they can repeatedly dunk on someone and then remove them from the round for daring to fight back. Or how about that time someone got so butthurt that the CE took actual non-harmful action against them for breaking into Atmos that they couldn’t think to do anything else for the round except harass the CE and smash up the station

6 Likes

All I can say is best of luck to the admins and players that want to start this initiative. Golden has a reputation it has to overcome in order to draw people to it.

Every time I’ve connected to Golden (in nine months of playing on Beestation Sage) I’ve been self-antagged within seconds of leaving the shuttle before reaching my department. I had to learn SS13 on Sage because Golden - the server people said was “beginner friendly” - never gave me a chance to try.

And I say that not to be hopeless or sandbag what Cae is calling us to LRP for. It’s to highlight that it’s going to take a lot to break that first impression for someone that found Sage to be their thing. Because I do wanna try Golden to do goofy stuff.

1 Like

Quote from Ike709, after merging the removal of the autodoc and someone opening a request for a vote.
“Votes have never been and will never be binding.”

FYI this is where I get the stuff about vote policy. Not relevant here, just wanted to show I’m not making that up, and therefore, it is possible to just merge the speed change (but no one has actually said they are even considering such).

1 Like

I do remember that RP was still enforced on the old bee; hell, i got noted for disposaling a scientist once; but even then, i can’t quite put it into words, but it still somehow felt less hugbox-y than what we currently have.

1 Like

Every time someones uses “hugbox” as an argument I want to smash my head against a wall, face it, every server is a hugbox for a certain type of community.

3 Likes

That’s true and maybe i just dislike the fact that Old Bee and Current Bee are hugboxes for 2 very different types of communities.

Fuck hugboxes, we need cumboxes. All in favor for a skyrat/citadel code server?

7 Likes

Why do you cum?
If i need your server ill fuckit
Getting cum

1 Like

Ngl, an NRP/LRP ERP server would make for a great shitposting den.

Belone said : “Every time someones uses “hugbox” as an argument I want to smash my head against a wall, face it, every server is a hugbox for a certain type of community.”

I agree with him (for once), most pieces of media caters to specific ranges of core audiences. In the case of Golden, the complaint about “hugboxing” is caused by a current audience of hardcore PVP players and experienced LRP players having needs that clashes with the intended core audience (LRP enjoyers in general and new SS13 players in particular) needs, which the staff is seeking to cater to.

So, how does one go about conciling the wants of both the current and the intended audiences ?
Well, I don’t know, and that’s probably going to be hard, hopefully Ike will figure it out.

1 Like

I might regret posting this, but I can tell you there is no desire to reconcile. The intended audience is the focus and losing people we happened to pick up that were never part of that intended audience is not a concern to staff. Beestation is intended to serve and teach newer players and be a friendly learning environment. Nothing is going to change that, and if you have been trying to change that your efforts have been wasted. The playerbase does not dictate the server’s intended focus or function.

The fact people agree with LRP not being newbie friendly only shows that we have failed at enforcing against this type of behavior for a while.

Conflict will always be a part of the game, and this isn’t to say it wouldn’t be a pretty large factor of LRP where everyone can gear themselves up for combat. This is directed toward the people who only exist to spark conflict where none needed to exist, or the other party was never a willing participant

4 Likes

Then get it over with and merge the reduced move speed, staff the server with competent admins, consistently punish behavior that isn’t aligned with the server objectives, and stop having community discussions with people that chime in the same tired arguments about how having a station that is consistently unplayable is actually a good thing.

Leaving LRP unattended more than half the time like you do now is just a waste of hosting fees and BeeStation would be better off just closing Golden and keeping Sage.

1 Like

It’s not as simple as just “staffing the server with competent admins”.

Merging the speed has nothing to to do with what I posted. It’s something I and several other players want changed, but an at least equal number of people don’t want changed.

With what incentive? lol
You act like this is something we control. All we can do is turn away the incompetent applications - we can’t force people to be admins that don’t want to be.

Again, we can’t really force admins to do anything they aren’t willing to do.
I’m on LRP right now and was last round as well.

is this not a “have ur cake and eat it too” mentality tho?

certainly reads like it

since i might be tapped out for dialogue rn, i’ll just say that not wanting to reconcile is a mistake and all it really tells me is that you guys are going on a hope and a prayer. So - good luck

1 Like

Fair enough. I suppose I didn’t consider that and I’ve taken some time to put together an objective analysis that should contribute more than yelling to pull off the band-aid.

• Crossedfall is paying real money every month for a secondary server

• This secondary server is not serving its intended purpose

• Revising the operations of the secondary server requires new operating guidelines (Whatever they may be - rules, code changes, etc)

• The new guidelines require man hours of labor, efficacy, and staff consensus

• Operating within these guidelines requires personnel to oversee their implementation

• There are not enough staff to operate oversee the implementation of new guidelines

• Assembling the manpower to operate the server is beyond the current staff’s control

• The soon-to-be-launched Gooncode server will further strain the pool of human capital

You’re right and there are structural roadblocks to implementing any changes that aren’t superficial and at the present moment - some of these obstacles may be objectively insurmountable. They may be more important to discuss than new operating guidelines.

1 Like