Making LRP decent pop again

Aaaaaand
Hiero
Drake
Bd(s)m

I dunno about the rule changes and what not, but i do guess that its the only way to bring more pop in, so im glad itll be happening. As for the admins its always a pleasure when they come around, though my biggest problem with lrp IS the pop. I try and rp on mrp, but i do like golden for the amount of freedom it presents to you if you rise up to the challenge. Never would i think that a multiplayer game would have a difficulty slider, but beestation golden proved me otherwise, especially considering how easy it is to make your own life a breeze one second just to throw it all to hell and start a manhunt on yourself the next one. Id certainly miss it, since im guessing the new ruleset is going to fuck with that, but i understand why most people hate going through a gauntlet.

It wasn’t always this way, irc there was some kind of tide of new players that arrived and kind of turned LRP into what it is currently over time (correct me if i’m wrong).
And besides, if people are gonna continue being shitters, they gon’ get banned, and thus not be a problem anymore.

LRP’s movement speed actively chases people away from it. Having two different move speeds between the servers is going to inadvertantly make people choose the server with the movespeed they prefer even if they don’t like the rules as much.

The tragedy of Golden:

• Sage was introduced, which caused an exodus of players that actually role-played and had funny gimmicks to leave in favor of a server that primarily encourged and required role-playing so they weren’t cucked by someone just because they could be. Sage also had lower movespeed which was a frequently requested feature at the time.
  • Hippiestation had it’s final exodus, which caused a sudden influx of the worst kinds of shitters, valid-hunters and rule lawyers to mix in to what we already had, rapidly increasing the concentration of these kinds of players to a point that they couldn’t be dealt with IC in a reasonable way anymore. When an already dwindling command/sec are now constantly overrun by players and told to “get robust” it stops being fun for them and they cease to exist. Then there’s nobody holding the tide away from doing it to the even less robust and less experienced other players.
  • Filter was introduced, causing a staff exodus (primarily those interested in adminning LRP) as well as a dip in player numbers and a massive increase in griefing on LRP as a protest to the change. Most notably here, was the DDoS attack that took Golden down for several consecutive days, leading to many players that didn’t even know Sage existed to connect there, assuming it was the same as Golden. This was the beginning of problems with Sage having LRP players.
  • LRP went largely without admins for weeks, then months because the admins that remained mostly preferred MRP anyway, and this was true for almost all newly recruited admins as well - the shift in the perspective of the kinds of players that liked LRP had dramatically changed for the worse, along with an actual shift of player quality in that direction as well.

Now we’re where we are today - trying to restore balance to Golden in the form of both Admin:Player ratio and Greytide:Command ratio, which unfortunately means forcing the tide to place nice in ways they were never forced to before, because it didn’t actually need to be enforced in the ages long past.

Valid-hunters used to exist to kill antags and station threats, not to be the station’s threats just looking for an excuse to kill someone and flaunt how robust they are to everyone who dares get in their way.

Greytiders used to be fun for the other people involved, and we didn’t need rules that explicitly forbid them from asserting dominance by roundstart cuff-stripping command staff for AA and dumping them into the recycler so they’re effectively removed from the round “non-harmfully”.

10 Likes

Damn. Thanks for the detailed recap, and good luck trying to fix this mess…

Ruko I respect and appreciate you but this is heavy-handed extrapolation. I’m game for a change like this if it’s what regular golden players want, I’m not game for it if it’s an attempt to bring the flock back

there is an audience on lrp of non-inflammatory, respectful, and loyal players. they’re there. they’re the reason the server isn’t dead they don’t deserve a stampede

LRP’s movement speed encourages melee and kiting.
People run faster than bullets.

2 Likes

can u run faster than THIS STRONGLY WORDED POST? no

ok i’ve calmed down. i just think this is a one-sided perspective. i like the runspeed bc it helps me do things faster in game, it affects the pace in which the game is played. it goes beyond combat.

1 Like

I know some people would prefer it, but I’d wager its a very small minority

I think it’s terrible for the game’s health for sage to be different from golden in this mechanic in the long-term too. A lot of things that can be balanced for one (e.g. megafauna or ordinary combat) won’t work for the other.

It would affect the speed that you can do other things but I don’t know if preserving that is worth the negatives. Sage’s speed isn’t even very slow either.

This is also SPECULATION but IMO if things work out and golden starts to have a high regular population, more active moderation to stop griefers, etc. then that’ll make the people who still play golden rn much happier than the status quo.

3 Likes

It’s not about drawing in people from the past, it’s about having consistent server settings and balance so that people don’t pick a server based on it’s settings, but around whether they want to RP or not

It’s also about not being able to get a word in during the time it takes someone to cross the full width of the screen without even using speed boosts.

It’s about how imbalanced combat is on LRP - Stun Batons are legitimately better lethal weapons than lasers when you run faster than the lasers.

There’s not a single non-boss simplemob that presents a threat on LRP because you can cross their entire view distance before their AI can even process that you’re present. (Miners, griefsky discouraging nulls)

On top of guns being laughably bad, melee requires low ping for your hits to connect with at such high speeds, or else you have to click the person while they’re 2+ tiles away.

PvP combat is my primary reasoning for wanting the change (especially considering how much of it happens on LRP), but not the only one. MRP speed is still fairly high compared to most servers, but it’s manageable. Having the same speed between both would make balancing mobs and weapons a lot less of a nightmare too.

1 Like

this is a misinterpretation of what i said. i’m in the now, i really don’t think anything I’ve said suggests otherwise. i’m not really in a position to discuss combat comparisons, nor i am one to talk about balance between servers. but i’d suggest you take my word for it when it comes to catering to the current crowd you have on lrp, because they’re the foundation of whatever comes next for golden, whether u guys like it or not

1 Like

The speed vote has already come and gone, I’m just making noise about it because I disagree with the outcome, and dislike dealing with it when I play on LRP.

It’s the worst part of the server to me.

ding dong

“who’s there?”

“PAPA JOHN’S BITCH”

1 Like

I mean the speed change lost the vote, but less and less stuff is being voted on anyway, and stuff is merged that loses votes plenty. I say just merge it anyway. Sure one or two die hards will be mad, but so be it.

1 Like

…don’t appreciate this ngl

LRP gets 30+ On a regular day, no?

2 Likes

I remember pre-filter Sage. It was mine and many others’ home…and it was beautiful. Last I recall of it, it was a shell of its former self, overrun by people who cared not for what it stood for.

This just…hurt to read, but it’s pretty much what happened. This wasn’t just the tragedy of Golden, it was the tragedy of Beestation. ;_;

5 Likes

Man 100+ crew LRP rounds were the shit. I hated and loved everything about it.

12 Likes