Compact and fast fusion

Assuming you know how to get tritium, the reinforced window box monster is based on How to improve your tritium burn chamber yields but made outside of a turbine, window spam is there to block rads. If you don’t get much of the tritium chamber or the tritium guide, then you need to learn more atmos first before tackling this guide.

Fusion chamber:
On picture top right, the 2x1 chamber surrounded by regular walls is a fusion chamber. Inside of this chamber is one injector, 2 heat exchange pipes, one passive vent. Passive vent is so you can easily scan the inside of the chamber from outside or tap the insides into a canister. Injector is connected to plasma gas miner supply and a separate connector where you can plug in any gases you want to put inside the chamber. There’s a canister connected to the heat exchanger to provide heat conduit gas, you’ll want pure plasma for this.

Once you have pictured minimalistic regular wall chamber setup, you can optionally make sure that the insides are vacuum so you don’t accidentally end up with nitrogen inside the chamber which can lead to hyper noblium formation and stopping any further fusion.

How to fusion and what you need to start it

• 2x canister with 29% oxygen and 71% plasma (burn mix), heated to at least 100C to start internal burn.
  • 1x canister with 500 mols of tritium, any temperature
  • meson goggles

Proceed to dump the 2 burn mix canisters into your fusion chamber, this results in hot co2 and a bit of waste gas (o2 or plasma). If you used the 29% oxygen mix, it should end up with near 0 oxygen inside chamber.

After the burn mix inside chamber stops burning, dump in the tritium canister.

Once the above is done, you can start the fusion by pumping in pure plasma for as long as you see tritium gas (green on mesons) inside the chamber. The moment plasma gets inside, fusion starts. Either keep distance or wear a rad suit. Once the tritium is no longer visible on mesons, turn off plasma input, your fusion is now fully cooked and can be used to heat up gases thanks to the heat exchanger pipes you surely put inside the chamber.

If you just want to hear geiger counter tick for whole shift, keep dumping in tritium and plasma for more fusion reaction.

Here’s a tip for this. The trit chamber also makes co2, so you can pump both into the fusion chamber. This means you don’t need to pump as much plasma in while getting the same amount of reactions

1 Like

That is completely wrong. At no point of the tritium making process is co2 created. Oversaturated oxygen burn of plasma results in pure tritium instead of co2. Tritium itself burns into pure h2o.

As for fusion, co2 itself has absolutely no impact (not counting changing total heat capacity, just as any other gas) upon the reaction aside from being a requirement to start it, which is a fixed amount of 250 mols. The amount of co2 does change during fusion however.

Fusion strength depends entirely upon plasma mols and temperature.

2 Likes

Congratulations. You are the most robust engineer on Bee probably. But tell me, why build something like this in a active round? This looks like a lot of work. Yet, I fail to see any benefit. I only see a hazardous installation here.

Should you not go play some more Factorio or something then doing this in SS13? Not trying to be mean. This is very cool and all, but it’s really only impressive to people like me who also spend 5 hours in a local server testing different SM configurations.

2 Likes

It takes me about 20 minutes (round time mark from start, not even real time) for the entire setup pictured. It’s not as complicated as you’d think, especially when you repeat it a few times and know the layout. For comparison, the fusion is starting at around the time science is finishing their research TTV.

The gameplay benefit is that with fusion heat you can create hyper noblium as the next step. It takes a few more minutes but each mol of noblium is 1000 credits and 1000 research points.

It’s in no way a hazardous installation, the radiation from tritium doesn’t reach outside the chamber because very little tritium is wasted to burning and there’s a ton of glass blocking rads. Fusion chamber is a hazard only for the minute it’s active due to rads, then it’s inert and only risk is opening it. Even if either of these chambers were breached, most that happens is that flooring is burned through in the next few seconds from the heat and it slowly vents.

3 Likes

Reinforced glass, are you insane?

Contrary to popular belief, reinforced glass is intended to be used for radiation related projects. Reinforced glass has the highest radiation blocking power out of all the glass. Plasma glass has absolutely no radiation blocking power. Durability and fire resistance difference between plasma glass and reinforced glass is irrelevant at these temperatures, as either would break if exposed to fire.

1 Like

It’s more like that it’s extremely vulnerable to sabotage or meteors.

the fusion is starting at around the time science is finishing their research TTV.

If you do TTV round start and know what you are doing you can get it done sub 10 minutes.

The gameplay benefit is that with fusion heat you can create hyper noblium as the next step. It takes a few more minutes but each mol of noblium is 1000 credits and 1000 research points.

1000 for each mole… Damn. Well then it is worth playing around with I guess.

It’s in no way a hazardous installation

I taught that in a sense that someone might break it deliberately because I read somewhere that fusion can destroy the entire station if it goes wrong, but I guess that was false.

1 Like

All glass is a screwdriver and crowbar away from sabotage. There’s no sabotage protection possible without going layering Rwalls. Even that is just delaying.

Even default atmos setup is a few button presses away from plasma flood of whole station, sabotage as an argument for security is meaningless with such badly designed maps.

I’ve read about the incident and indeed there’s a fusion mid point where if sufficient plasma mol count and temperature is reached, the reaction becomes exponentially more radioactive.

radiation_pulse(location, max(2000 * 3 ** (log(10,standard_energy) - FUSION_RAD_MIDPOINT), 0))

If you wanted to recreate it. theoretically you could heat a huge amount of plasma using regular fusion, then merge this plasma with the fusion itself.

Here’s a result of a brief experiment with adding 100000 mols of superheated plasma into an active fusion chamber:
radboom

1 Like

that still remains true, fusion is simply slightly safer since migration off of fastmos.

By no means does that make it safe. It turn you into a red stain on the wall if you give it a chance too.

Fusion leaks are basically fastmos.

not really.
Before fastmos, firelocks didnt even have a chance of catching the fusion before it hit main hallway, now it does.

Very cool setup, Kontaminant! I appreciate how early in the round you can make this, no walking back and forth to turbine. Didn’t know reinforced glass blocked rads so well and it’s giving me ideas. I’d like to see a guide on how you’ve harvested Hyper-Noblium like it was candy, too. Saw you doing it in a round and I was astounded.

Yes, the Hyper-Noblium farming setup is all that is left to complete the trilogy.

1 Like

No BZ farm guide?

I guess I’ll make one when I get home (the only irritating exotherm we have, but I have a setup that works)

2 Likes

Yes, and you will always get co2 from a trit burn no matter how careful you are introducing plasma.

As for the co2. I didn;t explain myself properly and you seem to be agreeing with me more than disagreeing. You still need co2, plasma and trit to maket he reaction. The trit is used up during the reaction while the values of the plasma and co2 change. So you don;t need to just pump plasma in. co2 and plasma mix works just as well. And since the gas farmers can get used up, it’s better to try and reuse gases to increase longevity.

Question. Have you tested Heat Exchange and Heat Pump’s vs the inpipe cooling? I keep meaning to test and was wondering how you got along with it.

You will not get co2, read the code. If you introduce co2 into your tritium burn chamber, it will immediately become active fusion and ruin it. It doesn’t get clearer that this, you cannot get both tritium and co2 from an oversaturated plasma burn.

1. if (super_saturation)
  2. air.adjust_moles(GAS_TRITIUM, plasma_burn_rate)
  3. else
  4. air.adjust_moles(GAS_CO2, plasma_burn_rate)

That makes no sense. However I did read deeper into fusion code and gases seem to have “fusion_power”, which is what you may be observing by dumping random crap into the fusion chamber. As it increases instability.

I have not tested those with fusion levels of heat, as those pump machines are for precision work rather than something as brutish and random as fusion.

Yeah, you’re making sense with the co2 thing. Seems I over thought something and missed the important part.

Time to incorporate your methods into my Atmo Mullet.

1 Like

I usually throw 2 cans of N2O into a fusion chamber, N2O has the highest fusion power.

1 Like