Basic Supermatter Setup Guide

So a suprising ammounts of engineers doesnt know how to set up the SM, and what to do when it goes nuclear. I will try my best and explain the very basic set up so you wont make it go boom the next time you play engineer!
For starters you will need these items: Wrench, Meason goggles or the scanner goggles set to the meason mode and RPD( rapid pipe dispenser). Now first thing you wanna do is go around the SM and unwrenc all the gas pumps that are around the cooling loop like here:
and it should look like this:
the middle one is bypass and we dont want the gas to go past the radiators. and do it for these pumpts too:
and it should looke like this:
dont forget this:
and lastly:
Okay! Now we can move on to the gas filters under the SM, basically everything will be default so you just have to turn them on and it will be: nothing, nothing, nothing and n2.
Now you wanna grab 6 plasma canisters that are in the racks:
and put them in to radiation collectors and click on them to turn on:
Now you come to the red tanks which are N2, thats the cooling gas and wrench them down and turn the pumps to max and turn them on. Last thing is go to the AIR alarm and set it as follows:
Bam you done! Last thing is to turn on the emitters and you are golden!
Now for troubleshooting, you start with a tablet, in the tablet there is software download tool, you want to download app called: supper matter monitoring, so you can check on the SM on the go! There is lots of cool info and you can find out why the SM is delamming. For example, if the gases show there is O2, the cooling loop is damaged or the filters are set up badly, if plasma and other gases are in, check the air alarm if your vents and scrubbers are set up. those are the most common malfunctions you will face. Remember, take a shower after leaving the SM so you are not a walking chernobyl, wear your measons so you dont trip balls and always ask your fellow engineers if something isnt clear. Dont blow us up!

4 Likes

Remember kids, NEVER TURN ON THE FREEZEERS UNTIL YOU UPGRADE THEM.

4 Likes

Im sorry buddy but there is no such thing as going past the radiators. Every pipe ‘network’ is simply a container that has a volume based on the sum of its parts. pumps filters and similar devices separate the networks.

If you were to remove that bypass filter… nothing would happen and the loop would behave EXACTLY the same. It would have an X number of pipes and X amount of heat radiators. On every atmos tick the gas would be moved in and moved out based on other devices, and temperature modified based on the amount of those heat radiators in space.

Furthermore removing that pump defeats sabotage done in the space cooling loop, if one middle part is snipped, it will still be a single network if you remove the bypass pump.

Otherwise everything else is spot on when it comes to basic setup.

2 Likes

i somehow fucked even this up

You probably forgot to turn a pump on the maximum.

Exactly i too wanted to point this out it actually makes the whole setup even more robuts cause no one can just unwrench a single radiator out in space and cut the loop not that this would be a hard to solve sabotage but its still nice not to have to worry about it.

You are skipping/missing some useful safety features.

Things you need to understand when setting up the SM:

Cooling: While the space loop is the easiest option, it can be damaged. Being able to bypass the space loop for the cooler loop is very useful in emergency’s. Plus, at T4 2 coolers can actually cool faster than the space loop. I recommend swapping the pumps for valves here. This stops the flow issue from pumps while keeping control of where the gas is going. Plus it lets you have more piping included in the cooling loop part, which seems to help cooling rather than hinder.
If you want to take the cooling to “another level” you can create a 3 layer cooling loop inside the SM chamber, pump a can of plasma into it and then bung on a Cooler to help keep the SM temp down

SM bypass. Very useful for keeping gas running in the loop while you vent the SM.

Venting SM. The quickest way I have found to vent the SM is to use the RCD to remove 1 tile to space. This can be hard to do while the SM is a raging inferno, so you should set this up 1st with a holoprojector. Holo the inner SM door, stand in it, vent the 1st tile, holo it. Now you just need to walk onto the 1st holo and remove the 2nd. Bam! SM vented. I have seen a build where the SM and 1 spaced tile have been walled off with glass from the rest of the chamber and N pumped directly into the SM, but the power output seemed much less. (I could be totally wrong about this)

The Filter. I have only experimented with Plux here. Set the filter to Plux, add CO2 to the mix and watch the canisters slowly fill.

The Filters (4) You should set the 1st 2 to N and N2O and put a can of N2O in the mix. N2O Heals the SM rather quickly. The 2nd 2 can be used for O and Co2 if you want to farm Plux. You can always set them back to Nothing if things get spicy.

More Powa! It’s the Rad collectors that gather the power. You can add 6 more to the SM without too much trouble (mostly wiring woes), more than 3 emitters make a small difference they aren’t normally worth bothering with.

I would like to contribute by saying that you don’t need to modify the setup in any way to get exponentially more power from the supermatter. You can use the default setup without changing any of the plumbing and get 20+MW of power generation just by taking a few boxes of lightbulbs and placing them on the scrubbers before you fire the engine up.

This works because the radiation from the crystal irradiates objects inside of boxes/toolboxes/belts/etc and lightbulb boxes have around 30 bulbs that get irradaited and in turn throw off more radiation. This creates a very low-risk high-output chamber and the rad collectors will process exponentially more power with no change to the setup of the actual engine.

The applications for this are limited as you’ll generate more power than the crew will ever use, and there are some tradeoffs such as throwing off much more radiation. It is, however, the way to go if you want to generate more power. A single box of lightbulbs will boost the default engine output to 2.4MW.

2 Likes

And that really works? Sounds impressive but I have never seen someone do that so I’m just curious if that actually works. Guess I’ll just try next round.

Just tried it, it does work. This seems like an OP and very much unintended feature (bug).

Yeah I also just tried it and immediatly went over 1.2 MW of power, this seems really overpowered but I don’t know if this is a bug since it’s just the way the rad collectors produce power (more rads= mo powa baby).

Yeah but the SM should give off less energy if some of it is being absorbed by the items so that it cancels out.

The rad thing is a bug, rads on parts cause them to spread rads to parts etc. and you get a lot of rads, currently, xenomedes/park66665 is trying to make a fix for this but it is an extremely easy way to get a lot of rads, if you take a bluespace rped with 5 of each part you can get 200k rads very quickly.

Also I have set a guide on the wiki for making a sm cooler then this, Guide to the Supermatter - BeeStation Wiki

The rad thing is a “bug” but also SUPER nice for any antag plasmeme who wants to make themself a chernobyl backpack.
It should possibly be toned back, or come with “unintended consequences” like heavily irradiated items melting to nothing or damaging scrubbers/vents/walls.
Rad boosting the SM is also a thing I did in my “Spicy SM” submission to the bee video.

Oh, and while I agree that round start freezers are ass and do actually heat the gas, the SM won’t melt down at 75K, so don’t think that they’re entirely useless. if you’re mid meltdown ANY additional cooling is good.

There’s a PR up that fixes contamination.

That sounds so hilarious it almost makes me want to play plasmeme

Not gonna lie. I had one round where Engi was so irradiated I died mid-stride in the corridor walking towards engineering. I hadn’t even passed secure storage or showed any symptoms just one step healthy and the next one i was a ghost and my corpse was behind me.
It was really funny. I think someone cloned me and I spent the rest of the round hiding in maint on the far side of the station waiting for the shuttle trying not to metagame the radiation bonanza

That was probably when someone opened a fusion can in SM chamber. It did do that, yes.

1 Like

I kind of loved the fusion can in the SM round. it was memorable. very memorable.