Anti-combative antagonists brainstorming

Voluntary conversion antags never work. This isn’t quite one, but making people intentionally abandon their job to join your force is pretty close to it.

The problem is that A: Most people are never going to just drop whatever they’re doing and follow you voluntary, which is a problem universal no matter the level of RP. And B: It opens up a can of worms on how much people are allowed to self antagonize, since abandoning your job can be quite antagonistic if they need you.

2 Likes

this would make for some interesting ploys to conceal stuff, which would be kinda stealthy, but not lurking in maint 24/7.

it’d be in this antag’s interest to help maintain green alert even, since that is when SEC is least capable of preforming stuff like investigation and searches, since having their antag gear on them would give SEC their go-ahead to slap them with arresting, monitoring and confiscation of said contraband.

It reminds me of a round that I failed to run contractor, the first thing I did that round was get a pair of gloves so I could hide my prints, then I bought a boat load of Tator gear, got to work making it look inconspicuous (Generic boxes, rather than Syndi-boxes), then I stowed most of the gamer gear and evidence in a maint locker and I even had a Secondary backpack in my work space to swap to on a dime incase I thought I would be searched at brig.

1 Like

The black marketeer is also an idea i thought of.
As Halinder said it combos well with other antagonists and would also start to give actual value to money for the average joe/ antag.
Perhaps the back marketeer could create and give items that allow people to TP to his shuttle that would also act as his shop for safe transactions. Then you would just have to communicate to find buyers and perhaps if sec has PROOF that you are selling illegal wares they would be enclined to arrest you, then you can bribe people and or hire an attorney.
If you can get signatures from people in command you might even be able to do it legally to some extent.

6 Likes

Getting the CMO’s Approval to sell COMBAT STIMS!
Getting the HoP’s Approval to sell SYNDIE SOAP!
Getting the CE’s Approval to sell INDUCERS and COOL BATERIES!
Getting RD’s approval to sell CYBERNETICS!
Getting HoS’s impossible approval to sell GUNS GUNS GUNS TELESCOPING BATONGS!
Getting Cap’s approval to sell WHATEVER THE FUCK YOU WAAAANT!

1 Like

Hey what if we implemented some kind of demonic entity antag that would grant monkey-paw’esque wishes in exchange for crewmembers souls?

Wait a minute …

one must also keep in mind the remaining antag issues that as much as people like to ignore/refuse to acknoledge they still exist. mainly the nuclear tot VS sec armrace. aka the huntvalid VS death to all sec mindsets that result in greenshifts and 0 RP between the two… and the fact that outside of the tot&sec dynamic the rest of the crew is left as more of a observer and victum with little part

with that said. a more clasic idea ive had in the past… less of a new antag and more a rework of our current antags to fit the bill better with the simple TLDR of

• traitors with more numerous objectives… plenty less violent and many more in the sabotauge or kidnaping and less in the murder sence. conflict yes. clasic violence… lategame only
  • traitor discoragment from the all or nothing mindest by making it. failing objective/being caught to not be absolutely crippling
  • de escalation of sec via some rulechanges and a change of mindset (if tots are forced to deescalate sec is going down to) ie no blue alert for contraband.
  • the implementation of a “lesser antag” a crewmember who’s rather than a full on hostle agent a meerly a corrupt crewmember. a basic open ended objective and some oportunity to fufflil it (example: collection of large amount of credits… with access to syndicate bounties that are very illegal but not grand or violent) with the added challenge to not get demoted/fired/detained theese antags must both fuffil their goal and remain relatevely nonantagonistic… due to that we may even have heads of staff in the mix… corrupt officals ect
  • bribieries where also sudgested a system to allow tots to interact with the crew in ways other than murder, the means for establishing full on crime rings for any lesser antags with big dreams and complex yet lucrative objectives, and a tool to help antags be less isolated from the station. a hope to buy themselves some small help… and of course opening up ways for bribery and corruption
    however the idea felt a bit “whimsical” and “out there” so an alternative would be nice to figure out for the milion credit question on how to get antags to interact with the crew in ways other than offing your victum
2 Likes

Unfortunately money doesn’t have much value, you could sell contraband for what your client department can provide this been either tools or services.

Hear me out. and this is going a little off topic. but beecoins = credits. equally useless, but at least bee coins stick around. price of everything goes up a lot, coins are wiped. But you get 1000 or so every shift. and keep what you make. least then, coins will be worth bragging rights.

Regardless, I don’t think a balanced economy is required for a Black marketeer type role. sure yes, they could steal 2000 low value items, but who is going to do that? people are going to steal high to medium value contraband. Contraband that if missing will incomitance the staff massively. No hardsuits, stun batons, or tech cards? too bad traitor stole them all.

Bump so it doesn’t get culled. Anyone else got a antag a cool idea?

Honestly more Malf-objectives would be cool, having a borg steal something by shiping it through cargo in what is obviously a syndi-crate of some kind as theft objectives would be neato.

1 Like

Do malf AI’s get gimmick objectives? Making Ionlaws malf AI objectives would be… interesting.

2 Likes

Incredably, an A.I. that has Antag loicence and the Ion laws to fuck around with their work would be MAGNIFICENT.

1 Like

Really just add miscreants since people keep suggesting that unknowingly. They get little to no TC and aren’t full antags by the rules, meaning that they can’t commit murder to accomplish their objectives. In return their objectives are easier (but still trackable). I was thinking of things like “Make sure X doesn’t escape the station (alive)” or “Steal the clown’s megaphone”.

2 Likes

Miscreants don’t even need to have trackable objectives, they could inherit some of the less disruptive optional objectives, and let them loose. Just stop them from using excessive violence (they can shoot sec with rubbershots or whatever to make a getaway, but not bring big harm) and make them focus on RP. That way, you have all sorts of cartoonish villains doing mostly harmless trolls, and engaging with sec/ crew in interesting ways.

Also one thing I feel should be pointed out: adding non-harmful antags would (possibly) make sec less trigger happy. Since the criminal in question can just be a silly lil guy instead of a mafia member, they might think twice before stunning and cuffing first, asking questions later. So it could open up more chances for regular antags to RP things out as well.

2 Likes

Giving people a “fuck around” pass is almost definitely a good idea.

RP antagonists simply do not work. the perfect example of it is the devil gamemode.
Besides. You know what creates fun and interesting rounds ? not roleplay directly. But conflict and chaos that sparks opportunity for roleplay.

noone will want to roleplay if it’s always the same “I do my job thing”, you need something to roleplay about.

A good antagonist for the game is not the one that does all the objectives stealthy. A good antagonist is not the one who always plasmafloods entire station round start. good antagonists should have a purpose and should feel like a threat to station, by making small moves here and there, and play cat and mouse with crew and security. good antagonist should feel like a threat and spread terror.

Besides, you can roleplay as current antagonists, but since beestation is not roleplay heavy, you can never be sure the other person will want to join in. (Example, traitors can take hostages, threaten someone, but you can never be sure the other person behind the screen will want to follow up the roleplay)

EDIT: I am incredibly pained by the amount of people saying that the current traitors objectives should be more about stealth and stealing. You guys don’t realize how much of a double edge sword this is. Remember greenshifts ? they were supposed to be “perfect for roleplay” and it was the exact opposite.
the most fun and roleplay heavy rounds i had were during really intense times with a high threat from the antagonists.

3 Likes

Unironically yes. because 1, its not everyone. And 2 the fuck around pass is limited by the standard rules of conduct (don’t be a dick to people, don’t murder people, don’t powergame), else go wild. have fun.

Pretty much whenever I am with another antag they go for the meta strategy of buying a bunch of gear. Raiding armoury and then fucking off to do their objectives loudly. Had chemists who leave immediately and in real life I just sigh to myself and assume they are a traitor. Never act on this of course. But stealthy? No. Rarely.

I don’t understand. you seem to be disagreeing with my post but, ignore what I wrote?

“You know what creates fun and interesting rounds ? not roleplay directly. But conflict and chaos that sparks opportunity for roleplay.”

Conflict and chaos can be achieved without violence/round removing.

“A good antagonist for the game is not the one that does all the objectives stealthy.”

See my original post “let’s brainstorm an antagonist that does not require (read: against the rules) violence, or hiding in maints alone in the dark.”

“Besides, you can roleplay as current antagonists, but since beestation is not roleplay heavy, you can never be sure the other person will want to join in. (Example, traitors can take hostages, threaten someone, but you can never be sure the other person behind the screen will want to follow up the roleplay)”

That’s is the purpose of this thread. to come up with antags who don’t get into violent situations and thus sec has to actually role play with them. If they don’t they brake escalation rules, or risk being fired IC.

“I am incredibly pained by the amount of people saying that the current traitors objectives should be more about stealth and stealing.”

No one is saying that? no one wants more stealth antags.

“the most fun and roleplay heavy rounds i had were during really intense times with a high threat from the antagonists.”

I don’t know how recently you’ve played, but bee is suffering from round ending antags every other shift. its why there are so many threads about it right now. People don’t want the same high threat antags because its stale. blobs and Xenos don’t RP, it just becomes a 2D team death match by the end of the game.

1 Like

Yeah uh, in case you haven’t noticed dynamic has been going super hard as of late

There’s a line of chaos, where there is too much of it, so much in fact that it makes RP nigh impossible
And we’re crossing over it rather fast.

5 Likes