Anti-combative antagonists brainstorming

Hear me out. and this is going a little off topic. but beecoins = credits. equally useless, but at least bee coins stick around. price of everything goes up a lot, coins are wiped. But you get 1000 or so every shift. and keep what you make. least then, coins will be worth bragging rights.

Regardless, I don’t think a balanced economy is required for a Black marketeer type role. sure yes, they could steal 2000 low value items, but who is going to do that? people are going to steal high to medium value contraband. Contraband that if missing will incomitance the staff massively. No hardsuits, stun batons, or tech cards? too bad traitor stole them all.

Bump so it doesn’t get culled. Anyone else got a antag a cool idea?

Honestly more Malf-objectives would be cool, having a borg steal something by shiping it through cargo in what is obviously a syndi-crate of some kind as theft objectives would be neato.

1 Like

Do malf AI’s get gimmick objectives? Making Ionlaws malf AI objectives would be… interesting.

2 Likes

Incredably, an A.I. that has Antag loicence and the Ion laws to fuck around with their work would be MAGNIFICENT.

1 Like

Really just add miscreants since people keep suggesting that unknowingly. They get little to no TC and aren’t full antags by the rules, meaning that they can’t commit murder to accomplish their objectives. In return their objectives are easier (but still trackable). I was thinking of things like “Make sure X doesn’t escape the station (alive)” or “Steal the clown’s megaphone”.

2 Likes

Miscreants don’t even need to have trackable objectives, they could inherit some of the less disruptive optional objectives, and let them loose. Just stop them from using excessive violence (they can shoot sec with rubbershots or whatever to make a getaway, but not bring big harm) and make them focus on RP. That way, you have all sorts of cartoonish villains doing mostly harmless trolls, and engaging with sec/ crew in interesting ways.

Also one thing I feel should be pointed out: adding non-harmful antags would (possibly) make sec less trigger happy. Since the criminal in question can just be a silly lil guy instead of a mafia member, they might think twice before stunning and cuffing first, asking questions later. So it could open up more chances for regular antags to RP things out as well.

2 Likes

Giving people a “fuck around” pass is almost definitely a good idea.

RP antagonists simply do not work. the perfect example of it is the devil gamemode.
Besides. You know what creates fun and interesting rounds ? not roleplay directly. But conflict and chaos that sparks opportunity for roleplay.

noone will want to roleplay if it’s always the same “I do my job thing”, you need something to roleplay about.

A good antagonist for the game is not the one that does all the objectives stealthy. A good antagonist is not the one who always plasmafloods entire station round start. good antagonists should have a purpose and should feel like a threat to station, by making small moves here and there, and play cat and mouse with crew and security. good antagonist should feel like a threat and spread terror.

Besides, you can roleplay as current antagonists, but since beestation is not roleplay heavy, you can never be sure the other person will want to join in. (Example, traitors can take hostages, threaten someone, but you can never be sure the other person behind the screen will want to follow up the roleplay)

EDIT: I am incredibly pained by the amount of people saying that the current traitors objectives should be more about stealth and stealing. You guys don’t realize how much of a double edge sword this is. Remember greenshifts ? they were supposed to be “perfect for roleplay” and it was the exact opposite.
the most fun and roleplay heavy rounds i had were during really intense times with a high threat from the antagonists.

3 Likes

Unironically yes. because 1, its not everyone. And 2 the fuck around pass is limited by the standard rules of conduct (don’t be a dick to people, don’t murder people, don’t powergame), else go wild. have fun.

Pretty much whenever I am with another antag they go for the meta strategy of buying a bunch of gear. Raiding armoury and then fucking off to do their objectives loudly. Had chemists who leave immediately and in real life I just sigh to myself and assume they are a traitor. Never act on this of course. But stealthy? No. Rarely.

I don’t understand. you seem to be disagreeing with my post but, ignore what I wrote?

“You know what creates fun and interesting rounds ? not roleplay directly. But conflict and chaos that sparks opportunity for roleplay.”

Conflict and chaos can be achieved without violence/round removing.

“A good antagonist for the game is not the one that does all the objectives stealthy.”

See my original post “let’s brainstorm an antagonist that does not require (read: against the rules) violence, or hiding in maints alone in the dark.”

“Besides, you can roleplay as current antagonists, but since beestation is not roleplay heavy, you can never be sure the other person will want to join in. (Example, traitors can take hostages, threaten someone, but you can never be sure the other person behind the screen will want to follow up the roleplay)”

That’s is the purpose of this thread. to come up with antags who don’t get into violent situations and thus sec has to actually role play with them. If they don’t they brake escalation rules, or risk being fired IC.

“I am incredibly pained by the amount of people saying that the current traitors objectives should be more about stealth and stealing.”

No one is saying that? no one wants more stealth antags.

“the most fun and roleplay heavy rounds i had were during really intense times with a high threat from the antagonists.”

I don’t know how recently you’ve played, but bee is suffering from round ending antags every other shift. its why there are so many threads about it right now. People don’t want the same high threat antags because its stale. blobs and Xenos don’t RP, it just becomes a 2D team death match by the end of the game.

1 Like

Yeah uh, in case you haven’t noticed dynamic has been going super hard as of late

There’s a line of chaos, where there is too much of it, so much in fact that it makes RP nigh impossible
And we’re crossing over it rather fast.

5 Likes

That’s totally true, it’s busted. And dynamic is a completely different issue.

How the hell is miscreant a fuck around pass??? They have MORE restrictions than regular antags in the rules.

think i was misunderstood. I took fuck around pass to mean “harmlessly fuck with the crew”.

and am also earnestly on board with the idea that really didn;t come across well

1 Like

Well literally the purpose of my comment is that I DISAGREE that the conflict and chaos can be achieves without “violence”. and solely rp antags never worked and never will work.

I played pretty recently. That’s why I am active on forum again. Don’t misunderstand problems with dynamic as problems with antagonists. I agree that antagonists feel a bit stale, but making them “kill less”, “be less violent” is really not the solution the game needs.

1 Like

i dont think its possible to have an antag without violence. as violence is a natural part of conflict. that said i compleatly understand the situation… yall want a intruging cartel/criminal/mystery activity. not john stealthkill with a big iron on his hip

i dont think this is likely to come to existance in the current enviroment. due to the status quoe even a antag designed perfectly to fit this may get sweeped up in the secVSvalid madness… oh wait ive alrady talked about this very same topic… o well this year’s been a blur

best we can hope at the moment is the ocasional natural conflict that may arrise between nonantags especially sec and command. as long as they are not shitters theese events can be quite entertaining as they are very natural and not a hint of greentext just people fighting for what they beilieve but this is beyond rare

with all that said… perhaps a system of corruption… moraly questionable characters with alterior motives that are however not pure evil like antags

2 Likes

I think the easiest fix here is doubling midround antag costs since dynamic will always attempt to spend as much threat as possible, and i think that some antags, like nightmare, should spawn based on station integrity.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.