Zoom9337 Moderator Report/ Future of Security

CKEY:The Hat Guy

Your Discord:None

Offender’s CKEY: Zoom9337

Offender’s In-Game Name (if relevant):N/A

Date: (7-22-2022)

Round Number: 39554

Rules Broken (if relevant): “Gross violation of Space Law, was reminded they cannot brainwash a traitor or antagonist under any circumstances.”

Part of Admin/Mentor Conduct Broken (if relevant): A warning for something that your average security/ head role would never know was a rule that can be broken.

Incident Description: A surprise Head of Security round. I already had my pants scared off when there was reports of flashing in the halls and a sec outpost being broken into. A sign of syndicate activity or revolution. By in large, a lot of weight was already placed on me early into the round. Then reports of a attempted break in to the armory was heard and I was terrified. All it took was them getting passed the walls and security’s arms were gone, and I had seen that happen myself. So an immediate manhunt was called. Immediately after they start going after the A.I, and my paranoia was already through the roof. We searched and searched throughout the station from arrivals to I think engineering? After quite a bit of searching, we were able to obtain the prisoner and asked them, “Where is the hardsuit? Where did you put the contraband?” They refused to tell the details due to conveniently forgetting them. I had resorted to flashing torture because come on, if they were trying to break into the armory who knows what they had in store. After a while I said I was going to clip her wings, captain intervened and said “NO CLIPPING” as they were a moth themself. I was going to say to just keep flashing them until they speak up when a brig physician spoke up and said, “How about we just brainwash the information out of them?” Note that this was not my idea at all to brainwash them in the first place, nor did I have any intention of making them my “lapdog” that the moderator was implying I was going to make with them. I had even made a mentions of this on the comms and the captain had no objections to this process. It was when suddenly Zoom came by and asked me if I was following SoP and space law, which I replied that yes I was. Then had noted that I was in fact, not following space law or SoP at all and had warned me about this action. While I did not have time to construct a proper reply as I was dealing with not only sec but command matters as well due to bombings and rioting outside the brig. I would like to say that I did in fact follow space law and had not broken any rules regarding it at all, and it all comes back to what the moderator said. “Is there anything that says brainwashing in the search? No.” And that’s the main issue, absolutely nothing goes against or mentions using brainwashing in any capacity, and in fact is not a law at all that can be broken. I even have proof of this in the space law chart shown in the wiki.

Now, I’m sure someone is going to say, “But you didn’t follow SoP, the other half of space law.” And I’d object to that accusation as well. I bring you the bane of security players alike, the Standard Operating Procedure. I’ve scanned through the SoP system multiple times, trying to remember if I had broken anything even remotely the rules it brings up, and I report that I hadn’t at all broke the rules given out by SoP. Absolutely nothing goes against or outright prohibits the process of brainwashing or torture in any regard. And I had indeed followed basic brig procedures as well in regards the stripping of them as well. And in fact, I’d say it has nothing in regards the basic treatment on the SoP page, but is in fact on the SPACE LAW page. Now, it does include something about prisoners. At this point, the SoP in regards to brigging have been followed, and I’m sure of it. They had already been searched of everything and I had told the warden to note their crimes. The point I’m trying to make is that a FIRM line must be established in regards to punishments. And no, the guide to security does not help in this matter as it only gives very specific circumstances in regards to brigging. It says nothing about interrogation, torture or brainwashing in any regard, nor is it discouraged. I don’t appreciate being told that I had broken Space Law or SoP when there was nothing against the action in the first place, which is why I deeply, deeply plead to the administration and wiki writers to set a firm line on what can and cant be done AT ALL, no exceptions. Or get rid of brainwashing as something that can be researched, make it be VERY illegal so that future seccies alike won’t fall into such a pitfall, I’ll even recount my own experience regards to this. I was blatantly breaking space law by wearing a syndicate combat hardsuit as warden and got warned for it in the process, it was very understandable and specifically stated multiple times on the wiki not to do it. I just think a better outline must be made so that security players don’t get warned/ banned for doing things that they otherwise wouldn’t know until a admin/ moderator TELLS them not to do. And why I feel like I’m not deserving of the note I had received during the round.

TL;DR There should be specific limits on what security can do in the first place in regards to torture/interrogation/ brainwash or else more people are going to be warned for things they wouldn’t know about otherwise, which is why I’m firmly against this note given to me. Thank you for reading.

in rule 7 it states : 1. 1. Content that is not explicitly erotic as defined under rule 6 but still makes people uncomfortable is prohibited.
which i would say torture falls under as beign tortured or seeing anythign like this would make someoen uncomfortable, and for the brainwashing: it can be obtained in two ways: through the brainwashign disk and through deconstrcutign abductor items and research alien surgery. also just brainwashign someone to get information out of them is pretty questionable i would say and for what i have done in thats round it wouldnt even warrant thats.
Also in rule 7 there is the use common sense rule.
woudl you view it as acting on common sense to cut of someones limbs or blidn them to get information out of them? no thats makes no sense at all.

So you were going to mutilate a prisoner, and when the captain told you to not do that you resorted to trying to brainwash them? When it doesn’t even seem like you had any concrete evidence at the time? Like this is brig phys level of shitsec, I’m sorry but like you should just use common sense and think about the fact that you as security have the ability to ruin someones round if you take them in and do stuff like this with no concrete evidence. Then on top of that you flashed them until they were probably completely blind as a moth, would you have liked it if someone pulled this on you?

It sounds like you used absolutely no common sense in this situation.

they knew i had a syndicat hardsuit and from the AI they knew i had a way to communicate with it in the binary chat. when i got to brig i had no suit on me. so they knew i had hidden stuff somewhere on the station but i had no intentions of breakign into armory or the AI sat

I absolutely DID have concrete evidence and full backing and suspicion, don’t say I wasn’t using common sense when there was a active station threat, and lo and behold directly after that adminhelp, the station starts to fall apart.

After all, torture is in the game. Its torture. Mutilation is a part of it.

Torture is against the rules.

3 Likes

If you really had a issue about it, why not just LOOC about it? We could have avoided this whole conundrum if you had just spoke about it LOOC and said, "I don’t want to be tortured, just permabrig me. "

So your response to seeing that someone has contraband is to torture them? Then when they tell you their intentions you brainwash them anyways and continue to torture them? Would you torture someone for having the syndicate ballon?

The tracking implant exists, you could have brigged them and implanted them and had been done with it.

I’m honestly surprised this was just a warning and not a ban, because i’ve seen people get hit with shit for stuff much more minor (cough notmegatron)

I don’t remember them EVER stating their intentions thus far, all the said was “i forgor lol”.

State the exact rule that prohibits this. I want to hear this, prove me wrong.

Falls under rule 7 (Be Excellent to Each Other), as stated by wueue above:

“Content that is not explicitly erotic as defined under rule 6 but still makes people uncomfortable is prohibited.”

Doesn’t take a lot of brainpower to understand that putting another player under torture is pretty uncomfortable. In any case, you ASK for consent in LOOC, NOT wait for them to ask you to stop.

4 Likes

What you are saying is not specified in the rules. While yes, torture can make people uncomfortable, how was I supposed to immediately know they were uncomfortable with it. And I gave them AMPLE opportunity to reject the idea the moment I brought it up, as I had interrogated them in the interrogation room. And this isn’t in the main point of the note, the point is that what I did was against space law and SoP, which it was not. I was entirely within my right in SoP and space law.

Regardless of what anyone else says:

Brainwashing is not an acceptable punishment for someone enforcing Space Law, and is not mentioned anywhere in Space Law.

That was my take during this.

5 Likes

Then I please, PLEASE beg that be signaled or disallowed anywhere on the wiki where others like myself not take the blunt of a warning. As I had stated before in my original message, as I had not been challenged on this when the brig phys brought it up.

1 Like

With specific regard to Hostile Agents, as per code 205, Nanotrasen Security division has been asked to provide a list of permissible actions which may not otherwise be taken for crimes of similar severity.

• Tracking implants may be used without any additional conditions.
  • Chemical implants with non-lethal contents may be used if the agent has also been convicted of a violent crime.
  • Implant checks may only be performed If there is definitive evidence that they have an implant. This includes members of security witnessing implant use, finding implanters, or implant boxes with fingerprints or other related fibers.
  • Pacification surgery may be performed in the event the agent has also been convicted of a violent crime.

You literally cannot do anything not listed here in terms of surgery / body alteration.

4 Likes

oh no. there goes my entire argument down the drain.

i have no intention of letting this spiral into drama.
We will review the reported incident when we come around to it, dont worry.

This back n forth isnt helping anyone.

I’ve not reviewed anythin in this thread yet so dont see this as a judgement yet, but i dont think it takes a genius to see how TORTURE might make someone uncomfortable or at the verry least be unfun for them.

7 Likes