Wow, another bullshit naming suggestion (moth edition)

People in here not understanding that Milii is a plant that moths in particular love.

Euphorbia milii

If you just google ‘Milii’ the first result is going to be that plant. It’s not the same as “Em” for Emily. It’s a single-word object that holds significance to the character. It follows our rules to the letter. Bonus points for being Latin.

Edit: To be clear, we did bwoink the name “Milly.” It just so happened to work out that there was a single-word object that could easily replace it and still hold the same effect. That’s not always going to be the case and sometimes people have to take more radical name changes.

3 Likes

I actually was aware of this when I made my assertion. also I am fairly certain Milliis name is Millii, and not Milii, but thats effectively a nitpick. The moth playerbase is split on play styles, which is mostly fine. But names really need some sort of real enforcement, or for the guidelines to be expanded.

Milly / Milli
Hapi
Meta
Starshot
Moona
Truthbringer

All reported names that did not get changed (editted lines through ones that were). I gave up and stopped trying, largely because I genuinely felt like I was the only one who even cared, but also because of a very specific incident that I’d rather not get into.

Milly / Milli is sort of the exception since they were asked to change from one version to the other, but both names are equally out of line with the guideline as far as I can tell.

You’re correct, and this was never an explanation offered. I’m even into flowers quite a bit and didn’t know about it.

I beg to differ, but I digress, it is a plant and I’m more than satisfied now that I know that lol

google results

1 Like

i dont really care what naming conventions say im gonna just rate these based off what I think is fine and what isnt

already said to be fine so im not gonna say anything

i think the names fine but i can see why people who care about the naming guidelines wouldnt like it, but if my memory of what the guideline is then its actually fine as a name if you do a quick google search

this is fine

this is also fine

i think its fine but ditto of hapi

arguably the best moth name ive seen

1 Like

Hapi did have to change his name to Happy though.

Bruh whats the point of the naming guidelines wiki page if we’re still getting in trouble when we follow the guidelines and now I have two different admins with conflicting views on my name.

3 Likes

If you call Kalavi Lumen “kerlin lunit” he will not only respond but wonder how how long you’ve known him if you know the name the NT HR department wanted to supress.

2 Likes

Somehow this became a callout post. I just want scandanavian moth names. Like Ossian Kemppainen.

Sorry for my contribution to that, didn’t mean to derail and I’ll leave that bit where it is.

I like reasoning behind your initial suggestion for what it’s worth, but I do think it would be getting a bit silly to add a third naming convention onto the table at the same time. Removal of Latin as acceptable would ostracize many existing characters that had taken care to follow the rules.

Milii not Milli.

1 Like

this tends to happen when discussing naming guidelines on the forum. Bit of a touchy subject for some

3 Likes

Who are these two? Ruko is not an admin anymore I might add

2 Likes

he is in my heart

3 Likes

local moth name sounds like a fucking NOITA boss
that said i absolutely aprove of theese changes

6 Likes

007craig talked about moth names and the one I have right now that Ruko was talking about was approved by him. You can still see his comments in my notes.

1 Like

this is the most based way to look at things, headcanon that names are actively supressed by NT

1 Like

its my fault, I just didn’t want to open a second “moth naming” thread when there was one, so I expanded this thread to include my own concerns.

Millii’s name is neither Milii nor Milli. It is Millii. 3 i’s, 2 L’s.

I don’t like truthbringer as a name. spellcheck doesn’t seem to think its not a word though, so I guess technically its okay? I don’t really single word moth names that consist of 2 words, like truthbringer and starshot. They just don’t feel right to me. Moona and Hapi are pretty blatantly not great names according to current conventions.

The solution here is either better clarification for moth names, or an expansion of how they work.

Is a fine expansion. Maybe even ditch single word moth names for scandanavian names as a contrast to the latin names.

Either we expand moth names, or suppress moth names. Those are the options.

2 Likes

I’m okay with single-word names, I just really want scandanavian names because I think they sound nice.

Probably a typo from when I first recommended it. It’s close enough for me though. Still has the plant pop up in searches.

Or the secret third option, nothing changes. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I interpreted the Moth guidelines were that they could basically have names similar to people having titles as long as they reflected some aspect of their personality. For example, someone has the title of “Dragonslayer”, which is two words technically but again my spellcheck says there’s nothing wrong with it.