Wow, another bullshit naming suggestion (moth edition)

Ah, only erasing the character development :^)

1 Like

Cordswitch Bos’s name was okay’d by two different Admins at one point before it was decisioned quite randomly that it was no longer valid. There’s probably a bunch of behide the scenes reasons that no one really knows, doesn’t matter now since most of the staff that was involved left over it later on.

The name was okay’d in the first place since it was 100% done purely through roleplay as the name connects him back to his original character CBOS. It just being Cordswitch basically removes that piece of history of his character’s devlopment. Devlopment that I suppose is strickly not allowed on Bee.

Doesn’t matter, imo he has a right to be mad.

3 Likes

I fail to see how this is an RP name. It meta connects one character to another. Should there be a valid reason to connect them, like connecting a oozeling to any other character through the last name naming convention, then I could see it. All that I am being presented with here is he had CBOS and then made a character name cordswitch bos. if CBOS was an IPC, then I fail to see the connection. if CBOS was a moth, then its a pretty blatantly not okay moth name. What is the character development? that you made a new character?

The development was that CBOS, an IPC was given something from xenobio that transformed him into a moth.
CBOS and Cordswitch Bos were the same character.
Should have explained that, my bad. Heh.

Admins were aware of this devlopment and the reasoning for it.
If I’m connect, CBOS name was not allowed for a moth anyways (which was fair) so he created Cordswitch Bos to replace it.

1 Like

He also wanted to be ‘cute and soft’ so like… it worked out

2 Likes

I guess, but the concept seems flimsy. as far as I am aware, the general ruling is that any rounds that existed prior are non canon. If he was actually an IPC that changed into a moth one round, that change should generally be ignored. This honestly gets into weird territory. Cordswitch Bos isn’t a valid moth name though. Ultimately bee just isnt the kind of server that actually allows for that kind of thing. A number of changes would have to occur before a name was allowed purely because of something like that. While bee does do some RP, its honestly not as RP focused as some other servers and as a result, a name that only works if you have a historied character doesnt work out. Otherwise you could come up with excuses for any character to have any name whatsoever.

It doesn’t feel like a “moth name” issue. Its related, but its really more of a “state of beestation” issue. Do we want flavor text and character history and all of that? Some people do, some people don’t. But alas, that is a whole different topic.

1 Like

:person_shrugging: I see it as a flaw in the ruling but that’s just my opinion.

1 Like

We’re nearly breaking through

1 Like

Hard agree. We actively try to promote RP but you can have your character and all of its lore completely flushed down the drain over a name not fitting guidelines. which makes no fucking sense in the real world.

3 Likes

also, just to clarify, cordswitch bos is a pretty light offender of a name. Its ALMOST a good moth name by current standards, but as far as the current rulings go, Bos messes it up. On top of that, my personal problems with moth names dont really touch that much on that kind of name. Its the people who didn’t try at all, or just came up with something really generic, like the 2 moths who straight up just have human first names and thats it.

3 Likes

Names like rocks?

1 Like

nah rocks follows the actual naming convention, and your moth could have an attachment to rocks which would result in that name. you can have RP reasons for it, even though bee RP is limited. RP reasons for having a single word human name as a moth are non existent in the current state of bee

1 Like

I tried to make it as vague as possible to cover a broad spectrum of simple name examples… and so it wasn’t just me who managed to pass the filter…

I’m fine with “double” word names if they are generally said together or are the full name of an object (Candlestick, Hardhat, Supernova). My own being Sunburnt and Ovenmitt.
Not just two words randomly slapped together to create a NEW meaning. Those I would consider out with my suggestions

(I have yet to meet Supermatter the engineer* moth tho :pensive:)

Reminder that this is an rp server, everybody

1 Like

those are fine. there is one specific character that I see that gets my goat though. Otherwise those are actual words on their own.

2 Likes

If I’m going to be completely honest, the single word moth names just need to be removed from the policy all together, because as you said it just attracts players who use legit human first names and didn’t read the actual policy on what a single word name is supposed to be.

Not to mention people are copying one of the moth players who is one of the only players that was allowed to get away with breaking the naming policy and got to keep their name. Single word names just need to be cut out.

Also while we’re on the topic why is someone allowed to have their character named after a well known american politician after doing gimmicks where they try to run for president and stuff, like come on you can’t play stupid on that one.

Like how is that ok but David Budd is not an ok name, like i don’t even know what David Budd was even referencing.

Personally I don’t entirely agree. I just think enforcement needs to be done, since its currently too lenient for it to work. I think currently Millii is the precedent that is negatively affect moth names. Millii is just a slight alteration of “Milly” which didn’t follow the rules. Millii sort of follows the rules, but in a meaningless way. As a result, other people “follow the rules” in meaningless ways also. Emily, having been told they can be “Em”, was directly inspired by Millii, and somehow gets away with using Emily as their name despite that being just as bad as “Milly” was. Emily is a perfectly fine player, but the name leaves much to be desired. On the other hand, there are several fine moth players, like myself, Fluffy, Floppy, and several others. Additionally, I find moths with single word names more memorable than moths with latin looking names simply because I understand the name on a conceptual level. I don’t remember most of the latin named moths simply because of that. I know that there are moths with those names that I enjoy playing with, but I can’t name most of them.

Unfortunately, despite my attachment to my characters, I have a hard time fully disagreeing. Single word moth names are frequently made with little understanding of how the concept works. its not just “pick any letters as long as there are no spaces”. Its not “insert name here”. Its “Single word object, concept or event of some special significance to the character”. Object, Concept, or Event. There is a lot of room to make names with there. Its not a small selection. Yet somehow most of the single word moths don’t get that memo and just do whatever they feel like.

The infamous david budd thing. Yeah, I actually avoid making names that could be seen as any kind of reference, and I might rename my engineering moth just to avoid a potential slap on the wrist despite the character having no connection or even remote inspiration to the related name. Right now it feels like the enforcement of the rules is really cherry picked. Some people are bad, some people can get away with it.

4 Likes

Pretty sure Milly/Milli existed long before the policy. This has nothing to do with what I added.

While I don’t necessarily have an issue with human sounding names, I do have an issue with saying that they fall under simplenames and warrants reason for full removal across the board.

Milli (IMO) does not fit the letter nor even the spirit of the policy I wrote, nor do any derivatives.
This was handled by staff outside of any policy AFAIK
This is a fully separate enforcement issue, seemingly caused by themself.

Hey! thats just mean. Whats wrong with Cydia (B), Cydia (L) and Cydia eh?

That is mostly why I wanted something not in a dead language

4 Likes

I feel called out

2 Likes