WilsonPH Staff Feedback Thread

This is the feedback thread for our Administrator @WilsonPH Please provide your thoughts about how they perform.

This is not the place for ban appeals or player reports but you can mention specific events and how they handled it given you don’t try to change the outcome of the case.

You are expected to keep a somewhat formal tone and give constructive criticism. Insults will not be tolerated.

4 Likes

Needs to be more careful to not accidentally use OOC during a round (Sorry Wilson, I just had to)

5 Likes

1 Like

Listen
I rectified my mistake by instantly making this.

6 Likes

does his best. i would say he will become a good future admin. also hi wilson

1 Like

Congrats on becoming a full-min!

1 Like

3 Likes

Well, with my shit post out of the way:

I think @WilsonPH is a fantastic and very active admin that appears to have found a great balance of playing and managing the game. They represent the ideal staff candidate as someone who doesn’t forget to be a player and is less likely to grow detached and jaded.

They stand up for the RP standards and player quality expectations that Beestation is supposed to be about. They expect people to make rational IC decisions instead of just acting on a nonsensical spontaneous whim for the OOC lulz. They expect command and antagonists to RP instead of playing purely to win.

Most importantly though: they are actively enforcing these standards instead of simply advocating for them and shrugging it off as acceptable.

2 Likes

I completely agree with you on this, it’s very refreshing to see command players actually being held accountable for being incompetent at their jobs or rushing to kill the balid. Hopefully we start to see a decline in people who are playing command just for the sake of having extra access so they can valid hunt, and an increase in head players who actually know what their job is.

Even before my first interaction, they make me feel like I’m being watched by someone who wants to find any error with something I’m doing. I’m fine with the fact that they’ve found errors, but I feel like I have to write a formal paragraph over a minor infraction to appease them.
Maybe try to reassure the people you’re bwoinking who are totally cooperative and merely had something slip their mind instead of saying what they did wrong and ending the ticket.

As a summarized example:
Them: “Hey, why’d you take a chem set as explorer? Did you read exploration SOP?”
Me: “Sorry, it’s been a while. This circumstance is in there isn’t it. What do you want me to do to fix it?”
Them: replies with SOP
Them: “Ask RD if you can keep it”
long pause as I do IC stuff with other explo like decommissioning the chem set and asking cap for permission to get wilson to stop breathing down my neck
ahelp resolved without any further comment

(Of course, apologies if I misremembered anything. This is a vague memory.)

Something about the tickets with them feel… sharp? Maybe it’s in the replies I forgot of that example (there were more), or inbetween the lines. Somewhere in there, a “No worries! It’s hard to remember everything.” or something that acknowledges that I’m a fallible human being instead of a rules (SOP) monkey would really make that ticket for me go from “please don’t note me I’ll bend to your every will if you just close the ticket and stop spectating me” to “oh oops yeah I made a small mistake let me do RP to fix this.”

Did you know you can get a note for cryoing early with a good reason with no prior history (not even unnoted) with antags off for >100 hours and “cooperative in ticket”? I’m more just impressed that’s noteworthy, I guess. Except the part where I had antags off which I said in the ticket and they acknowledged. That’s not noteworthy as it’s not mentioned in the note.

They also feel a bit abrasive with the few times I’ve spoken with them. This isn’t me, but this screenshot feels like it encapsulates them vs what I want in an admin.

This is just my personal experience with them. Maybe I’ve just gotten unlucky in my interactions, but in those limited interactions, this is the feel I’ve gotten, and, well, it’s a feedback thread. I have nothing against them as a person, but I don’t want to be around them as a mod.

I try to avoid playing when they’re on cause I feel tension knowing they’re watching. Bit of a straw that broke the camel’s back, but I think I’ll go try tg with this mentality.

3 Likes

I cant take them seriously, but maybe its a me issue.

I can promise you that, without a doubt, Cydia is not the one who is watching you and waiting for you to make a mistake. If you have to live in constant fear and constantly try to justify your own actions when there is a written page online telling you that you broke the rules, you cannot really blame the admins for that.

If you want to be mad at admins, be mad at the ones who are too lenient. But Cydia is a great admin because they aren’t lenient with people who are going to play the “I didn’t know card” every single time they blatantly break the rules and aren’t afraid to actually ask the person what they were doing rather than take a quick look at something and say “doesn’t look like anything is wrong.”

1 Like

I’m not mad at anyone nor do I live in constant fear over my every action. I know I play the game fine with good intent. I have ~900 hours with very few issues; I’m playing the game fine. Nor am I blaming the admins. Thanks for trying to overblow what I said. This is a feedback thread. This is how I feel about this staff member.

2 Likes

Just am fyi, this is the post wilson was responding to:

4 Likes

You didn’t ahelp before leaving, that’s why you got noted. The recent database PR kind of messed with our ability to see and edit preferenfes, from what I understood. Besides, you can still roll antag with antags off if nobody else was eligible for it.

Also I don’t get why you’re getting so worked up over notes, they’re for recordkeeping, not as a form of punishment.

This I do apologize for, I got caught up in another more serious ticket and when I remembered I didn’t close yours I just hit close.

Something something guilty conscience.

Let’s look at this from my point of view. You see a fairly new forum account posting ‘why can’t I metagame antags on a roleplay server’. Would you think to yourself that this person came here in good faith?

2 Likes

Besides, you can still roll antag with antags off if nobody else was eligible for it

I wasn’t aware. Could’ve informed me by ticket too, as I’m just learning this.

Also I don’t get why you’re getting so worked up over notes, they’re for recordkeeping, not as a form of punishment.

Well, notes are for record keeping until “lengthy note history.” Then they are a part of punishment. I feel like it should be understandable that people do not appreciate receiving a note.

Let’s look at this from my point of view. You see a fairly new forum account posting ‘why can’t I metagame antags on a roleplay server’. Would you think to yourself that this person came here in good faith?

And I did look at it from your point of view. I think not assuming the worst in people is a good idea, especially when you hold power over their heads. And let’s say they did have the worst in mind. The bottom response is still better. Hopefully nobody good comes under your bad assumptions. I look up to friendly admins who can still perform the right actions.

But, the more I think about it, I think Peppercats is right. Some of my criticisms are toward beestation as a whole. You just have more ruthlessness in upholding the minutia of the rules and SOP and unwritten expectations the way other staff don’t.

I think beestation is tending toward over-controllingness of characters’ actions (at the cost of dynamism, rp, and fun. It’s groundhog day station these days) such that it feels like mistakes (accidentally having fun) are inevitable. You just actually look for those mistakes.
Sorry for those misdirected criticisms.

So, my remaining feedback then boils down to this: I think you could be more friendly. But again, I could’ve just gotten a bad taste. My favorite games still have some poor reviews; this is just my experience. It’s bad to make bad assumptions.

2 Likes

I can attest to atleast parts of your feedback too, not me but a friend of mine (dw wasn’t meta-gaming, I wasn’t on the same round as they were) does have a distate abotu WilsonPH as a staff member for also “looking for issues”

2 Likes

If they are a bit dry is because they do this so much each rounds that they can’t just give enough brain power to be more nice and articulate without burning out or missing on other problems going on at the same time.

There are several potentially good points of negative feedback in recent posts and I don’t mean to disparage them all or the people making negative feedback.

However

If you disagree with the rules at their core, the problem is not the admin enforcing them - the problem is your choice of server not aligning with what you want from the game. Bee is somewhat strict and stuffy when it is kept up to standards, and it’s totally okay if that isn’t your cup of tea - but please don’t rag on the staff for maintaining the expected standard for those of us who like that environment.

3 Likes

my opinion one of the best admins here. hes chill. like when i didnt know about coffin production being labeled an exploit he just told me. Didn’t harrass me to stop, and immediately replied when I thought of an alternative.

This is the type of admin bee station needs.

1 Like