What are your thoughts on bolas in combat?

Giving hermit lavaland crafting is a cool idea.

Can’t say I agree for the rest. Doctors aren’t supposed to be fighters. Golems use technology. Plantmen can grow weapon plants very easily (the bigger issue with them is being trapped in the base)

1 Like

One idea I have is giving grass the ability to produce oxygen, and at least give oxygen as long as you’re standing on it or something like that. Living terrariums are suppose to spread life to where ever their shuttle lands and would make sense if they were able to alter the atmosphere so more life would be able to thrive, and would allow them to step outside of their shuttle.

2 Likes

If ashies were going to keep the bolas, could they affect simplemobs? Maybe a safer goliath/watcher kill if you bola it first because it either can’t use it’s secondary attack or moves and attacks slower, and the bola can be recovered from the body?

2 Likes

With the way this poll is trending, I’m almost definitely going down the path of no bola

But also, hold everything. I need someone to pray for and use one of these.

/obj/item/restraints/legcuffs/bola/gonbola
	name = "gonbola"
	desc = "Hey, if you have to be hugged in the legs by anything, it might as well be this little guy."
	icon_state = "gonbola"
	item_state = "bola_r"
	breakouttime = 300
	slowdown = 0
	var/datum/status_effect/gonbolaPacify/effectReference
2 Likes

These are craftable, by the way.
It’s just nobody ever does because where the fuck are you going to get gondola skin as a greyshit.

Bolas should be useful against simplemobs. Ashwalkers don’t use them because they can only affect carbons. Miners have better ranged weapons and lowering their walking speed doesn’t really benefit the ashwalkers, other lavaland ghost roles are too weak and don’t need to be weakened by a bola

2 Likes

there’s a maintroom with a gondola, gondola pockets from cargo

That honestly would be nice! if they had a grass-tile exclusive sold for them that could work as cult pylon(good atmos) the role would become 1000% more interesting, suddenly terraforming lavaland becomes possible and would show some competition to the other lavaland roles

I pray ( @Ruko ) this full lavaland tweaks gets to fix/help/tweak some ghost roles that have been dead for a while in another post

In regards to Bolas, i think until we tackle the combar speed in general ashlizards should keep em to have a chance against miners (though i do agree as ruko said miners always are no more than 3 and face usually more ash lizards)

Maybe if they lose the bolas could the Arrows be tweaked to give slowdown if you hit legs? That would be a good alternative and i don’t see them used enough

I think it would be cool if bolas were to be able to thrown at simplemobs, i think if we (hopefully) go into the thread to check on ash lizards(and other ghost roles) in general we could get some good stuff going

Back to the poll itself bolas are a necessary thing on the current speed meta tbh, both issues needs to be tackled atm

Going back a bit on the bounties, considering there’s been a lot of items removed/reworked on the loot table of chests/tumors maybe they could include the bone armor set as a drop? That way they can contribute to the cargo bountie once they get it as a reward( for example a chest filled with tribal bone armor from a fallen ashlizard) or if you want to make them able to craft in introduce a scroll that allow non-ash lizards to craft stuff from tribal menu, but yeah it’s just me with the idea for loot tables of chests/tumors to have more gimmicky-fun stuff that could help the station/make some interesting RP instead of the mega old gamer pvp gear

Well you can get lucky with legion kills and get anything from a bare skeleton to a knight in full plate armor. Though unless it’s changed that tendril legions can drop bodies with loot it isn’t really a strategy don’t all that often. More of a “Hey, cool armor” and miners don’t take it.

though why not put it on, get wings, and then fly to your local ashwalker tribe and become their god and overlord?

Arrows and bows are not used because they are expensive. There’s only one bow and some arrows at the start and you need some materials for each arrow, so using spears is cheaper and less risky. Also, they require cloth or materials made from it. If cotton seeds were somewhat renewable and you didn’t loose all chances to get cloth if you loose 2 seeds then the ashwalkers would grow it almost every round. My solution for this is to add wild-growing cotton.

2 Likes

That would be good, honestly throwing arrows should be a little more common for Ash lizards to engage more safely with hostile fauna besides throwing spears

And also replying to prickly, yeah if the bodies also had a chance to come with full skele armor that would help on not getting rid of the bounty

Legions already do. Among with other things like…a full knight suit…a knockoff cultist suit…a blood-red hardsuit and operator id (!), an explorer suit, and explorer’s webbing.

That said, I wouldn’t lock bounties behind unguaranteed RNG.

When asking if I could potentially make ashwalkers a guaranteed spawn, I was not told no like I expected to be (I was also not told yes, so don’t take it that way either). If they are a guaranteed spawn with one of every possible bounty item (and given all of their gear is fire/lava proof) is that acceptable, even if there is a chance you’ll have to specifically hunt it down?

@taylor for your opinion as well.

As a footnote, if they are approved as a guaranteed spawn it will be in the farthest reaches, so it will not be accessible early, nor will the ashwalkers have easy early access to mining base.

1 Like

If ashwalker spawns are consistent and the bounties have a decent cash reward I wouldn’t be opposed to it. With the current average miner player being in the way it is, we don’t see the mining bounties in anyway so not much is lost. More meaningful interactions between station and ashwalkers is nice, and reasons to barter as ashwalkers for futuristic items from the metal box in the sky or as miners for primitive but valuable items would be nice. Only real issue there is it relies on getting lucky and having a miner who can speak whatever the lizard language is called.

Lavaland grass: Once extinct due to lava and unchecked fauna populations, can now be grown and made into specialized tiles that filters out toxins and outputs oxygen to whomever is standing on it. It is weak to being consumed by Goliath’s and the planter must make sure that goliaths aren’t eating the grass

Feel like this would be a good template, and provides a IC reason. Though in order for something like this to be added I think we need to make it harder for miners to steal seeds when there are no pod people spawned. I think either seeds need to be spawned in the hands of pod people (or within their terrarium when they wake up) or within a safe that pod people spawning from the terrariums will know the password to through their notes. Kind of frustrating when miners constantly steal gatfruit (just for botany to not even touch it do you sec) and leave the plant people with no good weapons beside bamboo spears. Even had miners try to steal the seeds WHILE IM A PLANT PERSON INSIDE THE PLANT PEOPLE SHUTTLE.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.