What are some fun lil' RP emotes/quirks/etc you use?

As I’m always looking for ways to better improve my RP skills, I wanna know some fun little ways y’all use to improve your RP. Emotes, speech, interactions, anything like that.

I’ve started making a text file with a list of various custom emotes to use with Shion.

Anxious / Stressed

's ears flatten

Nervous

quickly looks across the room, her eyes flicking back and forth
's ears swivel nervously

Scared

tucks her tail between her legs in fear

Waking up

's eyes sleepily flutter open

About to sleep

's eyes begin to sleepily flutter
begins to nod off

Interested

's ears perk up

4 Likes

using proper punctuation when a point needs to be made

otherwise, we ball

3 Likes

I use ‘*giggles’ alot, eventually I shall master the high five.

3 Likes

Ay same! I also use stare/blink quite a lot as well from the default emotes

4 Likes

I use “tilts head” a bit when I try to look confused and questioning as a mime.

3 Likes

say emotes over the radio are where it’s really at

;grumbles|3am... these night shifts are really getting to me. One of these days I'll get some proper rest.

5 Likes

I think you finally did it, you highfived me on the first try today!

3 Likes

Beside those I don’t usually have the same actions pre-planned

• Mixing *scream and *laugh when Jacob is loosing it.

• [Takes a few deep breaths] when he calms down.

• [Put his hand on XXXX’s shoulder.] when he tries to be friendly (he usually is awful)

4 Likes

Yes, FINALLY!!!

“X leans on the counter”
(Alomost universal)

“X nods in acknowledgement”
“X nods in appreciation”
(Usually reserved for less talkative characters instead of saying “hi” or “thank you”)

“X exhales a plume of smoke”
(To spice up smoking)

“X extends their arm”
(Usually when asking to be given something or to invite to a handshake)

4 Likes

As Joon I spin a lot and caps lock a bit generally. To show excitement.

I also try to speak in a bit of a posh superior type way to show off her ego.

And of course “It is I! JOON ROSENTHAL!”

I’m more of a speech person haha

Odessa is very apologetic and blows a lot of kisses… A lot… Of kisses…

And oh! And she says “a true shame” a lot for some reason. Haha

4 Likes

clearly “; chews on his microphone|” is supreme

8 Likes

I play an IPC. I frequently using *ping *beep *buzz as basically nonverbal communication in a conversation.

It’s your job to figure out what I mean when I go *ping after you ask me to do something.

5 Likes

I want “*squint” where you type that and your character squints their eyes, and even at whatever you may have pointed at recently.

But I will just type up “Squint” in the emotes when I am incredulous at something.

I still say if you have a Cigarette or Cigar in hand, and you use it on something, your character Insultingly puts it out on said object or person, with added pained screaming and blinding damage after a brief action timer if you decide to do it on someone’s eyes.

but personally I love to use Italics, caps and the double exclaimation points IC when talking.
Italics for when I see or do something that is immensely satisfying, and needs to be delivered snarkily.
Double Exclamation when the IC perceived idiocy is too real.
and Caps to add to the double Exclaimation.

One of the other Emotes I do is “Inhale” followed by “Exhale”

an emote I do, because I play an IPC, is instead of laughing or sighing, I’ll

gives a beeping chuckle

or

gives a long, sighing whir

2 Likes

; burunyuus into the mic |

burunyuu

• The thing that has helped me the most, is pretending that ghosts are always watching you.
    Make it interesting for the ghosts but not excessive. Simple body movements like laying your head on a counter, stretching. Maybe holding your growling tum, etc. Even if youre alone, shaft mining, do something. Fiddle with your PKA, hum to yourself, crack your knuckles, wipe dust off your visor.

• RP works best with communication, so communicate! Talk on the radio, department or general. Have some banter, tell a dumb joke, ask a coworker for help with something. Anything to promote interactions.

• Be willing to go along with something, even if its bad. I’ve gotten RP from literally every antag currently on Bee. Sure you’ll get the people who are freaking out playing antag that might wordlessly murderate you, but if you get someone who is trying to RP with you, go for it! Go check out that weird graffiti in maints, squint at the space dragon trying to sell you a good deal on carp meat. When you enable the people trying to RP as antags, security, or doing a gimmick, you help the RP on the server overall.

• Dont forget LOOC - want to do something silly or intense but arent sure if they are up for it? Just ask.

• Custom emotes go a LONG WAY. Brush some hair out of your face, crunch on a donkpocket, *stare at the bald spot of the moth in the HoP line next to you. Custom emotes are the gateway to starting something!

12 Likes

Ah doing the ghost watching thing!!! I do it as well!!!

The flipside is if youre too interesting its scary for a round to end and suddenly see like 5 ghosts watching you

7 Likes

as Boston I like to stutter every few words, k-kinda like t-this. And if Boston is ever unsure of anything h-he’ll trail off w-with a few p-periods… like so

I like the social anxiety trait on paper but it makes text way too unreadable, so I like to do it manually

Boston is just generally nervous and trying his best and I love him

2 Likes

I’ve tried to do a stutter with Shion before, but I couldn’t really do it in a way that felt consistent and mostly natural, so I stopped.