Tablet PDAs: Community Feedback

Hi everyone! I’m currently working on (near-finished with) a massive PR that replaces PDAs with Tablet PDAs! They use the NtOS system, with all the features of an old PDA ported over.

Here’s the PR on GitHub if you want to take a look, but I’ll break it down here as well.

Essentially, every trace of old PDAs and cartridges has been removed.

Instead, we now have a subtype of tablet that can accept “Job Disks” (cartridges), that come pre-installed with the programs for your job, as well as some additional things like viruses (detomatix, clown virus), spam/message-everyone capabilities, or the Mime’s emoji-mode.

I’ve also tweaked some stuff to make tablets more usable as PDAs and feel more personalized. There’s now a theming menu in the “Settings” app (previously “Hardware Configuration”)

We now have many themes, including “Thinktronic Classic”, which will make your PR look just like it used to! Complete with full background color customizability.

The sprites of the PDAs are mostly unchanged. The overlays, however, have been modified from their olive-green to a sleek blue.

Check out the new default theme for Clown PDAs! Complete with Comic Sans!

Hate how bright the UIs are? Say hello to NtOS Dark!

Tablet flashlights now are “movable” and don’t do that weird thing where they teleport between tiles, modPCs are generally more stable and usable.

The janitor starts with an app to locate various janitorial items, and by proxy the janitor closet (no more “;HELP where is the janitor closet”)

Tablet Version

PDA Version

You can now “Imprint” an ID into a tablet - this is the same as “Update PDA Info”.

All roundstart tablets have been removed in favor of the PDAs.

FULL CHANGELOG

del: Removed PDAs.
del: Removed round-start backpack tablets.
refactor: Due to a buyout and massive restructuring of Thinktronic Systems, all crew now start with tablets containing pre-installed programs for messaging, and programs for tasks previously done by PDAs.
add: Added themes to tablets in the Settings app.
tweak: Renamed Hardware Configuration to Settings.
code: Improved tablet flashlight UI interaction with cyborg code.
admin: Added logging to PDA bombs.
tweak: Brig physician now starts with a cartridge.
add: Added a locator app for janitors to find mops, cleanbots, and janicarts with.
fix: Improved ModPC behavior with sechuds showing the wrong HUD.
qol: You can now use holochips directly on a PDA/tablet to insert credits to the ID inside.
tweak: Tablet flashlight now uses movable lighting instead of jumping around
tweak: Tablets can be used while inside lockers.
code: Changed tablet program access requirements to support lists.
code: Added an emoji entry TGUI interface. For use with the mime PDA.
add: Emagging things now pops up a console window briefly for flavor.
add: Emagging a modPC now opens a slower console window and sets the theme to syndicate.
qol: The Cyborg Monitor now has a feedback sound when sending a message.
fix: Fixes PDA sent photos opening an undersized window.
tweak: Cyborg integrated tablet now has a button background.
tweak: AI now has a small integrated tablet only for sending messages.
qol: Added an improved photo selection TGUI menu, mainly for use by silicons.
fix: Photos now describe their dimensions properly.
fix: Photo descriptions no longer randomly place periods around.
fix: Photos can no longer describe invisible things.
add: Nukie tablets now start with the Remote Airlock Control program, for remotely interfacing with the infiltrator's blast door.
tweak: Regular cargo techs no longer have the Ore Silo logs in their PDA Cartridge. It's now locked to the QM.
add: Added a Log Viewer program for viewing ore silo and NTChat logs on the filesystem.
fix: Modular computers now correctly show visible_messages to the user if they are holding it.

So, check out the GitHub PR - and reply to this thread or the PR with anything you think should be considered in this. Any thoughts, ideas?

11 Likes

Thank you for coding this!! :pray: :pray:
I really like tablets, and i love the themes you added! :muscle:

wasn’t this removed due to lag reasons or such?

I’d love it if using emojis as a mime could be done by just clicking an emoji to put it into a message instead of typing it out, kinda like the Windows emoji system

1 Like

No we need more retro cassette future.

This is fantastic and exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for! Absolutely!

2 Likes

Thank god finally, no more dropping a tablet round start for more bag space. Sick of spawning with something I never use unless I’m the HoP.

1 Like

You didn’t use the SM/Alarm monitoring apps while playing engineer or atmos tech?

MIME PLAYERS REJOICE!

Emoji inputs are now easier than ever! No more “emoji guide”! Screw that! Why not just… CLICK EM???

9 Likes

do FRAME and Detomatrix cartridges still work?

does emagging the PDA unlock the DDOS and self destruct programs? (also does the DDOS program cut out PDA functionality cause that would make it actually useful)

do the clown/mime viruses still work?

3 Likes

Make the color adjustable like the current pdas >:(

Good question, for the classic theme, can we change the color of our text too?
In the end being able to change the color of the theme regardless of which one would be preferable

@ivanmixo

all virus carts work, haven’t tested emagging, will do, thanks

Emagging PDA works the same as a tablet, yes

4 Likes

I have improved the emag experience greatly.

2 Likes

Emagging anything now shows a window

1 Like

I really think you should have just stripped out the messenger stuff and replaced it with a default install of NTnet chat.

I don’t think you’ve used NTChat. It’s actually pretty bad.

You don’t even get notified for a message. I’ve improved it slightly in the ModPC Update V2 PR, but it still has a lot of room for improvement.

It is by FAR not a replacement for the PDA messenger. It serves a separate, unique, purpose.

4 Likes

New silicon image selection UI

The old “remote door” cartridge, now available on nukie tablets as well as military PDAs

1 Like