Swarmers Ate the Ore Silo 2.0! And also the Cryopods!

This time around our “BELOVED” Swarmers comes back and not only eats the Ore Silo (classic) but also eats the cryopod room!

I made the original Swarmers ate the Ore Silo thread back in March. Why are they still in the game?

Swarmer is even trying to delam the SM and then destroy the gravity generator.

As a wise HoS once said “One Swarmer? Fuck it, we’re evacuating. Raise to Blue Alert!”.

You can not fight them. And just like the last one:

This was written with a bit of rage.

9 Likes

at this point FUCKIT, no one should be in the vault for any amount of time longer than 2 to 3 minutes, just take it off the vent network.

If you Desperately need to sit in there for extended periods then you’re just going to have to leave the doors open.

3 Likes

can swarmers still space the fucking station by destroying reinforced walls?

1 Like

If the swarmer ate the cryopod or tried to sabotage the SM i suggest that instead of trying to get someone to code a ‘‘removes the swarmers’’ you make a proper player report because they’re clearly breaking the rules of SM gameplay along Common sense and be excellent with each other

I thought it wasn’t possible to eat the crypods tbh, as for spacing integrity turf pr fucked some things on the swarmer side, we don’t need another post with 100+ replies, what we need in this case is a player report.

4 Likes

I’d rather prevent the cause of the problem than removing the one instance of this happening. Because this isn’t the first time nor will it be the last.

6 Likes

That has been fixed I think.

1 Like

thank the fucking lord, that was absolute bullshit, and swarmers going out of their way to do this was very scummy. hate swarmers

Guess we better remove all antags then. They’re all able to do these things too if they wanted to

Go make a player report, swarmers aren’t going anywhere.

3 Likes

is this a challenge?

What say you in defence of swarmers?

6 Likes

Go ahead and read the other post, players have voiced that yes, the core gameplay of the Swarmers is annoying but if they were tweaked a little bit a.k.a someone putting the effort to code it and rework them they could be some entertaining antagonist that would go beyond the cookie clicker simulator.

I don’t like swarmers that rush the oresilo, obviously, nor i don’t like the swarmers that sabotage on purpose just to be gamers, i do like fighting swarmers when they’re big in numbers, they present a challenge, they… antagonize and if they manage to replicate that much? well you better enjoy seeing a wasteland of the area where they decided to nest, it is a nice concept that could be expanded to make it more interesting

But as Ruko said, most antagonist can already do that, as long as they have a valid RP reason and they’ve done a basic interaction to generate conflict then yeah, that can absolutely happen, what should not happen and is a rulebreak is what @Ambiic showcased, one(or many) swarmers going out of their way to sabotage Cryopods, gravgen(how do they even sabotage that lol), SM, etc that is worth it to make a player report, otherwise that will continue to foment the ‘‘yes this is Okay behaviour to do as a swarmer’’ mentality.

4 Likes

Swarmers are NRP

They do not talk.
They do not interact.
They do not even get near the crew if they help it.

Swarmers are boring.

They do not make the round more fun for anyone.
If a syndicate operative did ANY of the stuff even “good” swarmers do they would be told that they’re being incredibly boring and not sticking to antag conduct.

Swarmers are not good for the game and should be removed ahead of a rework.

7 Likes

Neither of these are required for an antagonist to create interesting and intense situations. RP includes a lot more than talking, and in many cases proper RP does not involve talking at all.

And this is not true or there would be no complaints about them.

RP is not exclusively between the antagonizing party and the affected player, and conversation is not required for RP at all. Believing/following this philosophy is what killed all meaningful gameplay on Skyrat and turned it into a glorified chatroom with ERP. RP is between everyone - in the case of swarmers it is crew to crew RP.

Nuclear operatives are a good and extreme example of this in action - they rarely engage in direct RP or conversations, but do talk amongst themselves while crew does the same. They still create a tense and interesting scenario as well. The arguments posted here are the kind that push us on the slippery slope of antagonists being reduced to monologues and a slightly more hostile form of Bar RP instead of mechanically antagonizing the station.

Beestation is a server for and focused around RP - this does not and will never mean that antagonists should always engage in conversation before or during antagonizing, nor is this a qualifier for being a good antagonist. It is going to be a mechanically rich game focused on all aspects of RP, which will include antagonizing forces that act without words sometimes.

5 Likes

If I did a “gimmick” like this every time I’d be banned within next week.

6 Likes

Fair point on requiring mechanical antagonism, but the thing is there’s really nothing dramatic or interesting about the mechanic antagonism supplied by swarmers.
There’s no rising tension, no climax aside from “oh everyone has been inconvenienced in a boring way”, no payoff aside from “we shot the mute replicator”.

I think I see where you’re coming from. I don’t want chatrooms either, but swarmers aren’t a step toward positive RP, they’re a step toward the type of boring LRP were trying to avoid.

Where can we agree on this, man? What changes do you think should be applied to make swarmers entertaining?

2 Likes

See: the well-displayed disdain of mime antagonists amongst many staff members and players.

1 Like

Can’t destroy the silo if there is no silo. (Push for the silo removal PR).
As for the cryopods, it would be easier to for someone to make code for the swarmers not be able to attack them and the change making sense since their mob info is to collect humanoids and this would make it easier for collection due to their dormant state.

4 Likes

All of this is the correct answer.

1 Like

You want mats?
go to cargo and get what you need,
someone stole all the mats?
check the ore storage terminal and toolbox that xenobiologist skull in.

Ruko, your vision for beestation is completely different to the opinion of the playerbase of beestation.

I promise you, if a poll was done on players opinions on swarmers : what issues there are with swarmers, what they personally rate them and whether they remove them or not then the results of this poll would be overwhelmingly negative.

Sure you are able to reason this for yourself and theoretically prove that swarmers are “fine” antags but in reality, the players who play on beestation and interact with swarmers generally dont like swarmers and thats something you need to acknowledge AND address.

1 Like

Hmm, Although I get where your coming from, and I lean towards agreeing with you, I think that it can be fun to interact with swarmers sometimes. Conceptually, a horde of self replicating all consuming robots is a a classic sci fi trope, I just don’t think bee has the best implementation. I think that maybe making swarmers interact more with other swarmers, or have an end goal aside from more swarmers (a mega swarm boss that they can build? IDK) as well as making them more of a threat and less of an annoyance would be a good direction to go in.

1 Like