Suggestion: Adopt Space Law in to the official ruleset of MRP

Put them forward

You best start believing in suggestion threads. You’re in one!

1 Like

Technically its already there in the WIKI https://wiki.beestation13.com/view/Space_Law

Just need to add something to https://beestation13.com/rules?server=rp that says SPACE LAW IS LAW.

Then, the only bit of space law not respected to the line is the trials and the not fully stripping peoples during brig procedure.

Trials are close to impossible to implement as a rule when there aren’t even lawyers trying to do it properly, not to mention the other bits.

The brig procedure defined in space law is not appropriate for code blue threats to the station, is more akin to HRP as well.

Pretty much what you want is HRP buddy, this ain’t it.

Pretty much what you want is LRP buddy, this ain’t it.

Give me poop or give me death.

1 Like

Reasons for adopting Space Law as a server rule:

The lawyer would become a much more effective role, one that you can actually RP with, and have some power behind that RP. Right now, lawyer is pretty much just a greytider with a little bit of sec access, but on a lot of servers the lawyer actually serves the players, and protects their interests while making sure that security adheres to space law.

It would give detective something to do other than braining people with a .357 to save a little bit of time. Detectives are an incredibly robust yet underutilized role on Bee, and often just resort to being just another security officer, because frankly if Space Law is merely a suggestion then they have no place in the game.

Right now, there is absolutely no nuance to Security, and there is no consistency round to round, this causes people to become extremely disillusioned and frankly frustrated with the state of security.

I think that this is one of those things that never got addressed because Bee LRP used to be the high pop server, but now MRP is, and is frankly an oversight because of that. I can honestly see no good reason for not adopting this.

I think a change like this would go a long way in helping people adopt and foster a more “medium” roleplay mindset, instead of just run and gunning and power gaming, and would make security actually accountable for their actions and will force them to treat players consistently and fairly or get job banned.

2 Likes

You are just giving sec more reasons to arrest you if you adopt space law as it is. Its a guideline and not a rulebook for a reason. For example, “mutiny” and “enemy of the corporation” crimes give sec a good reason to borg or perma you. Good luck for admemes trying to reinforce that shit

It would actually mean sec has less opportunities to abuse you as a player – what you are literally saying is “I prefer for my police to have no rules, that way they can’t arrest me” – which is odious logic at best.

Admemes/council should state these rules, not space law which was not made for metagaming fuckfest what ss13 is these days

I don’t really see your argument here. The reason its a ‘metagaming fuckfest’ is because there are no defined rules to crack down on such behavior. Adding space law as a rule would go a long way in reducing sec abuse. It defines a set of behaviors in which security must treat prisoners with the full respect and dignity of the law.

:sob:
Muh respect and dignity
:sob:

Do the crime, get the harmbaton.

In my experience it isn’t even do the crime a lot of the time… Sec just wanna flex.

???

It’s a video game, it’s not like security is stripping real people and making them stand in cold cells while throwing donuts at them.

You dont see it? Having a definite set of rules would not get abused? This would only make admins workload higher, now having to argue with silicons and sec about how to follow their laws. Guidelines and rulings, not rule lawyering and loopholes

Having a definite set of rules would reduce admin workload. Currently it can take weeks of deliberation on a ban because it has to be arbitrated out due to no defined rules on what is MRP acceptable or not.

Silicons have to follow their laws according the the rules anyways, this wouldn’t change anything in that aspect.

Because Space law is just a ‘guideline’ there is no definition on what secs role should be. Leading into security players abusing their position to power-game and valid-hunt. With space law as a rule set that would be largely eliminated. Its a lot harder for a sec officer to justify their shittery when there are standards in place on what a professional security officer should act like.

1 Like

Im still going to say that space law is just a old guideline, which should be used as refrence. If you want laws for security, it should be updated.

Exactly the purpose of this discussion thread, my friend.

I think this would be interesting, although it pretty much already is, since it’s a sensible thing not following it makes you more likely to risk a bwoink.
It’s actually a pretty good thing, since almost every situation is accounted for and almost necessary to not get dunked on by admins, so people should be using this anyway imo

3 Likes

I was actually shocked when @Arbalezt mentioned that Space Law was merely a suggestion, and I checked the wiki in disbelief and sure enough he was right, this is what prompted this post.

Yea it’s pretty much used as a guideline for everything, sicne most people follow it anyway and stupid punishment and brig timers are already grounds for a sec ban, overall this might not change much, although theres always that 1 person that permas or executes you other things that aren’t even crimes :man_shrugging: