Some minor detective suggestions

Heya, everyone’s third favorite detective here. Here’s some minor changes/additions I think should be added for the ease of all three detective mains.

Give the detective access to the security gear room

• Probably the most glaring issue I’ve seen, after the gen pop renovations some maps (Rad) don’t give detectives any way of entering the security gear room. Other maps make you enter through the evidence storage room.
  • I’m defining the “gear room” as the room in security that has the seclathe. It’s a pain not having access to this area, don’t see any reason why the detective shouldn’t have access to it.

Spawn a photo album in the detectives office

• In the same way that folders are used for case notes (you ARE taking notes on your cases, right?), I think the photo album would be an obvious addition to store photos that you take. Who doesn’t like scrapbooking?

Put a corkboard in the detective’s office

• you can pin reports on it.

Give the detective a pet or something

• A lot of jobs have unique pets, might as well give the detective one
  • Some pet ideas:
    • A bat. Fits with the neo-noir detective thing.
    • A dog of some kind. A borzoi, bloodhound, greyhound, the possibilities are endless.
    • An owl. Feels fitting.

Feel free to comment any other ideas

5 Likes

A bunny called Max

8 Likes

One irritable bunny.

1 Like

For the first reason:

I believe this was originally placed to stop old Detectives to roundstart print lethal ammo, thankfully this has stopped but it does conflict with other stations where they have the seclathe and the secvendor on the same place, some Dets really like to have the Holo-STOP sign and only one station gives it roundstart

For the 2nd reason: Yeah, the photo albums are in heads of staff lockers and they’re NEVER used, doesn’t seem bad to bring this item and see someone using it tbh, unsure if it has a cool interface to see picture or it’s like super old and wonky

3 & 4 sounds cool too

As for other Det things…

One day…

2 Likes

Why should Detectives have Sec lathe access?

I Started Blasting So Anyway I Started Blasting GIF - I Started Blasting So Anyway I Started Blasting Danny Devito GIFs

4 Likes

On many maps, the detective already does. I’m asking for ALL maps to have access.

As for why, aside from the obvious printing ammo, stuff like sec lights, evidence bags, and other handy stuff is accessible via the seclathe.

Also, for the nightmare that is lone detective

Evidence bags are usually available in boxes around the Brig, more can be added if it is a major issue.

Printing ammo is for higher alerts, of which the doors may become available for Detectives maybe?

Lone Detective them get yourself promoted to Security ASAP…

I was trying to get my resident coders to see if they could turn the circuit UI into a red string pegboard kind of thing but it never happened.

Singlehandedly one of the best things we could give detective IMO

I’ll add:

• Autopsies

• The ‘memory’ system being talked about on discord (so people finally remember anything that happened in round during interrogations)

• More aids for the detective to timestamp when things happened

• Security camera replays (a man can dream)

• Updated camera bugs

Also, if you weren’t aware, a recent PR added blood drying, blood normally dries roughly 6 minutes after spilling, so if you arrive on scene with fresh blood, you can start a stopwatch to take the time until it dries and use that to pinpoint the exact time an attack or wound occured, which can help pin down alibis and understand which direction a scene was moving in.

6 Likes

About the blood drying… i need to double check but i noticed that even if you get a fresh wound like a small stab the dot blood drips very quickly turns into that dark color, i would need to test it more, but it is indeed a nice addition!

1 Like

I like the autopsies idea, was thinking about that a while back because I think it’s good to identify murders, or even charge people.
E.g:

• someone strangles someone they dislike to passing out, you can perform an autopsie (or medical can do a “visible diagnosis” kinda thing) to see stuff on them.
  • Flavor text to show that their neck seems swollen / damaged / visable markings.
  • Possible to get dna / fingerprint evidence from said strangulation to arrest em.

Obviously very indepth but that’d be sick.

These are all good ideas, when are you coding and mapping them? :wink:

Sorry, I forgot that I posted in suggestions

I’ll move this to #suggestions-but-you-cant-suggest-anything-because-“if-you-really-wanted-that-stuff-in-game-you’d-just-code-it-yourself-lol-why-would-you-even-ask-for-potential-feeback?”

9 Likes

When I finally finish my uni course because working full time and studying is DIFFICULT!

In all seriousness learning to contribute it’s fairly easy and once you start its even more enjoyable than playing the game

1 Like

sometimes I just want to be a silly little ideas guy

8 Likes

It’s a code way to enforce SOP.

Mainly to make most detectives intuit, “Hey I don’t have access to this area maybe I don’t really have a good reason to be in it.”

Although I agree, there are a few trouble stations like Corg where the main staff area is the locker equipment storage.

Regular maps like Fland and Meta are fine though.

What we wanted

What we got

Alas, wyci :pensive:

8 Likes

Tbh I’ve literally never seen people put stuff on them

I was summoned. What do you want to know