Sergei Koralev Admin Application: Oh Gods Not Again

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): sergeikoralev

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): A Clerical Error#9300

How often are you online to play/admin? (Timezone): Timing varies dependent on my university work. I’d likely be able to idlemin during early afternoon EST hours two or three times a week.

What changes, if any, would you bring?: I would aim to bring a higher standard to Sage’s MRP, helping cross-compare between both here and NSV13 in terms of quality and conduct.

How old are you?: 23

Why do you want to be an admin?: I believe that this is a good step to helping our sister server, and decided to put my foot in the door.

How long have you been playing SS13?: Account creation date Jan. 21, 2018

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: First Seen: Oct. 4 2019

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: 7 I’m moderately familiar with a broad spectrum of capability, with a specialization in engineering that (while it could use some work) is still very valid.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?: I am capable of handling multiple tickets at the same time in complex scenario investigations, and rarely have to invoke the rule of clusterfuck. Given such, I’d say a solid 8-9. (Yes, I’m a little bit self-serving with that.)

Have you ever been an admin on another server? This is not limited to SS13: Yes || Server administrator =BMR= Arma3 official servers (Retired, not milsim) || Administrative Hitman: FTL13 (Until EOL under Altangy primarily), Game Admin: Deep Space 13 (Until EOL), Head Administrator: NSV13 (Current)

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: No alts, sorry.

Your strengths: Fair, understanding, calm, firm, measured, professional, amicable.

Your weaknesses: I wield the hammer of the gods on NSV, and I do not fear to use it. It has been said that “Sergei has teeth.” Additionally I do not take kindly to individuals wasting my time, especially in tickets, and have a tendency of yeet and defeat with such persons.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: People not answering administrator’s questions when they get boinked.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Professionalism: It is the core of an administrators credibility, and without it we can not preside over those who we must look over, as our lack of professionalism could be easily used to sew the seeds of doubt upon rulings.

What makes a staff team good?: A staff team needs several components to be good. They need be even handed, tolerant of discussion, but at the same time firm in their convictions and actions. They need also be uniform in their application of rule or policy, and should aim to not skirt the bounds of rule or law in order to gain their own benefit.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: The purpose of a staff team (Not just an admin team) is to enable a project to function. Each member of staff has their role, from project lead, to mentors, to community outreach, to admins. Each has a specific role, but without one another the project might collapse. They are able to work together to form a cohesive direction and enable players to enjoy the gameplay that is the final fruit of their labor.

What kind of player are you?: I attempt to be temperate in my actions in game, generally I will try to talk my way out of a situation for longer than I should, which from time to time gets me killed, but if the need arises to defend myself I do not hesitate to subdue those who assail me. Of course I don’t often play security with this mindset, but I do always try to help keep security engaged and call for them when I need assistance from them. My typical roles of play are Botanist, Medical Doctor, Engineer, or Atmos Tech.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: May the living/ghost timer skew! Likely playtime will suffer, but that is expected. Overall I attempt to hold myself to the same high standards on all servers, and thus I don’t predict any measurable change in terms of in-game actions. I will however ensure to be more temperate and cautious of rulings compared to NSV. I don’t want to step on the toes of different rules.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?: As with all scenarios like this, context matters. If there’s no ticket then there’s no action for my personal rule. Once the ticket roles in it’s time to start log diving, inform the player that there is an investigation ongoing, and get their side of the story. Go through say/attack logs to back up the story, check for antag datums or objectives, check if the clown has been targeted by security prior, and, if things get far enough, ask for the Clown’s side of things. Assuming that the clown wasn’t an antag and they have no prior notes, weren’t being harassed by shitcurity, etc… I would likely give them a warning, note them for it at a low-minor severity, and resolve both tickets.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?: This is where my engineering knowledge comes in handy. Obviously if the other admin is cleaning up then my job becomes easier. I’m going to teleport the individual to admin jail, coordinating with the other admin who is going to be the “lead” on the ticket. Lead initiates the ticket and starts questioning while the other cleans up the mess. Questions such as: “What were you doing?” “Is there anything you’d like to tell me?” and “Let’s have a talk.” Can all get good reactions out of griefers. I’d continue questioning both their intent, and general competency level (Some people really are that stupid) while checking logs, and coordinate and consult with the other online admin about proper actions to take. Without prior notes, warnings, or CC database records it would likely be a “catch and release, we’ll see what happens.” approach. Griefers often go back to doing the same thing again, fool me once about your stupidity shame on you, prove you’re not as stupid as you say and I can get the hammer out.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?: Mistakes happen, this is at the core of SS13, it’s such a deep and involved game that even I am surprised sometimes when I find a new feature. Thus, when a new player starts playing chemistry for the first time and blows up it’s understandable. Meth heads blow themselves up all the time. Likely what I would do is note them with no severity if they are 0-3 hours of chemist play and include a brief description of what happened. Likely I wouldn’t ticket them, and if I did, I would also offer the advice of going to the wiki to make sure that they don’t explode again. I also understand that misclicks happen, and if someone initiates a ticket going “Ooops, I just clicked the wrong button and exploded chemistry” without me having to even look at the explosion log, that speaks volumes to if they genuinely just screwed up.

Final comments: I’m going to have fun reading the peanut gallery with this one. I’ve contributed several times to Beestation in terms of mapping, in addition to consulting with current Bee staff with regards to cross-server operations. While I don’t expect you to take me at my word for everything I’ll share my time card from NSV as well to prove that I’m not a total incompetent.

2 Likes

Man, you have 8 hours…

-1. Love our NSV brethren but… 8 hours? C’mon man.

This application is extremely well put together, and it’s clear you put a good deal of effort into making it.

I hate to do this but as arch and hangy have already pointed out you have 8 hours

I understand you have prior administrative experience - but I just can’t give someone a positive score when they have 8 hours on the server. Gonna have to be a -1 from me, I’m sorry man.

1 Like

Try to get at least 50 hours mate, then your NSV experience will help you.

I’ve worked with Sergei for a multiple years now. They are currently a headmin within our partnered project NSV and have a lot of experience with our code as a result. I have no problems with granting this a +4 as with the other NSV apps.

Edit: Forgot to do the current total… +2

2 Likes

I still feel as if they should have a little bit of hours

We need more players as admins not people from downstream servers who barely have any hours in the game. And besides if you aren’t going to admin on lrp then adding another admin to mrp which already has more than 3 active admins every day is overbloating and unecessary.

8 Likes

100% agreed.
I know my opinion doesn’t matter but - 1

Despite almost not playing on bee at all, I’m pretty sure that you’ll be a good admin, +2

T:+3

2 Likes

even with a lack of playtime just the fact that they have headminned elsewhere effectively for over 300 hours should pretty much hand them this tbh

its not like having more admins is ever a bad thing

3 Likes

The more admins we have, the easier it is to spread the work out and the better we can enforce the rules and keep the community moving.

I’d rather have someone who can admin sometimes, and brings a unique view of rule enforcement than no admin at all.

+2,
T=5

2 Likes

Very experienced admin with robust knowledge of the tools, how to catch metacommers, and of engineering. The more trustworthy admins the merrier.

+1,
T=6

In exchange for the US Capital Nothing I’ve been asked to certify this finance bill admin.

Policymaker and general good guy.

+2 delegates.

Alright, counting Fran and Archanial that brings us to +8

Well, even if you have lots of experience, are cool and generally many admins from Bee want you here, I will be going with a -2.
Why? Because 8 hours played. I strongly believe you need to somewhat know the server and the community to be able to admin nicely. It’s not personal, but we denied many apps with like 100 or more hours only because they had too little time played, that this would be super unfair to accept another, almost 0h account app.

T:+5 I believe

guys can we stop speed accepting NSV mins :flushed:

1 Like

I promise, I’m not Satan incarnate. Neither is Ta. :upside_down_face:

I understand your apprehension, but is part of having a trial administrator phase to ensure that the new admin has a good sense of the server’s rules, guidelines, and overall climate? While my playtime on Bee isn’t significant (by any stretch of the imagination) much of NSV13 has been modeled off of Bee in terms of general policy, and often we have players who operate on both servers. I can offer some consolation with regards to the following: What I lack in experience from playing specifically on Bee, I likely well make up for by being a temperate, relaxed individual who doesn’t need to press buttons at random.

While yes, this is true that being a trial is for the staff to make sure they are okay. But I am not talking about rules, rullings, mechanics or anything. I am talking about the community, and as an Admin it would be better to be somewhat recognized, not an another 8h account granted admin. I just want it to be fair for everyone, not an easy way for NSV admins to get adminship here too only because you are a downstream server.

Edit: Would I be granted admin after playing an hour on NSV? (I know 8 hours and 1 hours is 8x the difference, but on SS13 it doesn’t really matter that much. Also I can make it to 8 hours once NSV is open again.)

3 Likes

Another? And here I thought I was about to set a record. Just curious, who was the first?