Okay so
Should be stated VERRY CLEARLY
this isnt a ruleing, just my personal oppinion

normal crew should recognize the VERRY obvious shit - eswords, stands ect
Sec should recognize a wider range of things, like emags, stechkins ect
noone should imo recognize stealth-intended items like a sleepypen or e-dagger

2 Likes

I wonder how many of you actually have or had a job

If the work place is known to be hazardous, youā€™d probably be given weapons for self defense - or not get arrested / whisked away by god for having them

People often confuse security with being cops, instead of security. Big yikes.

Go tell that to security doing organ manipulation checks and cavity searches on everyone who touched a door

2 Likes

It is still funny to me that people here think security has less info on the tech of enemies than your average customs police officer at the airport.

Also: The armory.
It makes no sense that there are less truly lethal weapons in the armory than in a cities police department. We are talking about SECURITY here, not mall cops.
Corgstation got that partly right with the machine pistols.

I would expect Security Officers to at the very least have hybrid laser pistols, if not semi-automatic weaponry.
No sane private company would equip their security personnel with nonlethal weaponry only, even if no threat is confirmed.

What we have:

segway-patrol-service

What I would expect from private security in countries without any dangers whatsoever:

What I would expect the second any danger is confirmed:

pmcexperience-1

Private companies usually hire ex-military and security companies like Blackwater when they fear for the safety of their investments. I do not see a reason why that should be different in space.

Here is an example: Private armed security with semi/full-automatic rifles guarding a private transport vessel against somali pirates.

TL;DR:
Stop underestimating security. Professionalism would be expected, both in behavior as in equipment and ā€œmetaā€ knowledge.

1 Like

This is why I think every department oughta be a different smaller Corp all under the NT banner. Thatā€™s one of the ways you could make this whole meta knowledge idea work. Have security be some PMC, have the detective be a representative of Space Pol since heā€™s the backbone of space law.

1 Like

Oh I could imagine it being all part of Nanotrasen (as Nanotrasen is basically a Megacorp) but that would also mean that all of this would be cranked up to 11, as fictional Megacorps ( as dumb as it sounds) are not bound to any laws that would hinder arming their personnel.

1 Like

Would be interesting to have security carry lethal sidearms along their disablers.

The stam damage of disablers is stupidly high (30) so I donā€™t think sketchkins (or similar) would make much of a difference.

1 Like

I mean that sounds like a really sick basis for an MRP server to rival Eris for sure. Iā€™m not a cool coder man but if there was anything to use Clover for itā€™d be something neat like that.

I mean this is far from the rules, but this is how I personally act. If Iā€™m going against an antag who is new or obviously inexperienced I usually play along, like if they sleepy pen me in the middle of a public place. But if Iā€™m against someone who I know is very competent (like jwimmy himself) Iā€™ll usually use my metainfo.

I think itā€™s important to just go with your gut on it, the rules donā€™t really apply to every situation perfectly, so generally just do what you think will give the most people a fun time.

Not every job, even if hazardous, brings you access to weaponry. I deliver pizzas not government secrets.

1 Like

Although I must remind you that I am in no way connected with the general intelligence and security service aka AIVD.

and other jokes you can tell yourself!

My view is simple: if the item has unique sprite - crew is allowed to at the least recognise it as something extremely suspiciouos and also allowed to make assumptions on what it does. Such as, cryptographic sequencer being some sort of hacking tool. Security should know exactly what it does, full metaknowledge should be available to them.

If the item does not have unique sprite - crew should not know what it is or what it does, security should only be allowed to test it if they caught someone they have specific reason to believe is a traitor and HoS and Captain should be allowed to actually test it whenever they find it as the most informed on the station in those matters.

Of course if someone actually saw the item in action, they can examine it to their hearts content and discover itā€™s functions fully.

Someone who is decked out in sec helmet, gas mask, armour vest and skulks around where that gear is not needed - suspicious enough for anyone to assume him to be a potential threat.

1 Like

As a true tactical enthusiast in the style of my hero Gecko45, my characters self train themselves to know every trick in the book that antagonists can throw at them so this wonā€™t affect me none.

That being said though, if you find an antag donā€™t just shout on comms get them lynched immediately thatā€™s no fun. Play along a little bit, give them the benefit of the doubt.

to counter meta info, we can make it so people can commit capital crimes, regardless of role-playing or not,

1 Like

I think you should just treat stuff according to their examine text. If it says itā€™s a pen? Itā€™s a pen. If it says itā€™s a tool of mass destruction? Itā€™s a tool of mass destruction.

1 Like

you can identify a sleepy pen from a normal by seeing that it contains reagents, by examining it

Which lets the antag have a chance to talk it off as ink in the pen

They stab antag with it, antag sleeps, Execution for them, this is why i hate security

1 Like

This is another metainfo problem, why would sec ever stab a random prisoner with a pen?

1 Like

because shitsec want to kill as many antags as possible

1 Like