Restructuring Command Staff

Blood cult appear, convert CMO, get armoury access, profit
the change is reverted.

@mailsz @taste_of_a_liar Once again, individual heads of staff would only be able to apply access to their own departments, and this is something already in the game to boot, it just isn’t utilized right now because the HoP does the job for them, often without asking like they’re supposed to.

Getting into point by point on taste in a moment, but I wanted to make sure you both saw and knew about that.

So you just want to remove the HOP…
Then only the captain could give people access to departments without command
And why would command members go to the HOP offices to give access to their own departments when they already have their own offices and tablets to do that?

Consider the following:

If you take away the “second in command” and the pointless ID console shenanigans that HoP isn’t even allowed to use without consulting other heads ** which are fully capable of doing the job transfer themselves** (which is why I called the centralized ID console ban bait in an earlier post) all that is left is a quartermaster anyway and there’s no point in having two.

So yes, indeed it is pretty much the same job, that’s kinda my point to removing one. Quartermaster is the better name between the two if you look into what a quartermaster’s duties usually are, but I ultimately don’t care which job name gets cut.

Addressed this with my prior post already pretty much. Heads would not be going all the way to the HoP office to assign access - they already have a restricted ID console in their own department that can only change access related to their own department.

To continue being a broken record: Because of these individual and limited ID consoles, there is no reason to have someone’s with a primary duty of assigning access when they aren’t even allowed to do it without consulting appropriate heads anyway or else risk a job ban.

Sounds like an LRP problem to me. No sane crew should just be slaughtering pets for the sake of it, and this should generally be ahelped when it happens for being a spaz and acting out of boredom instead of acting IC.

There was a whole discussion not so long ago lamenting that people act like crazed lunatics IC without a second thought and without being reported most of the time.

I don’t think the first officer is necessary as a standalone role at all, I offered this as a balancing point more than anything, but will play with the idea as others want to.

I think having a direct assistant is something the captain should appoint personally by choice, but is otherwise wholly unnecessary. All of my issues with the HoP revolve around them going over other heads without asking and ignoring their direct supervisory duties to play beta captain.

Captain is supposed to appoint heads to every department that doesn’t have them at the start of the round. There should never be departments without heads of staff for very long unless there are no heads of staff at all and it has nothing to do with the HoP. It is never the HoP’s call to assign people to departments, even if they don’t yet have a head - it is the newly appointed head’s call.

If there is no captain, one specific head of staff is automatically designated acting captain and inherits his duty.

If there are no heads of staff at all, the server is at complete dead pop and normal gameplay breaks down no matter what you attempt to do.

The cap dies, and his body can’t be recovered, and he had the code for the spare AA card.
Well, I guest now the recently promoted RD with 0 interest of been command will have to be our new condom, lest upgrade his ID with the non-existent HOP.

What access are you even trying to acquire or spread exactly in the event of captain’s death?

Case one: If the captain did their job of appointing heads (or the roles were otherwise filled), then the various other heads are all capable of assigning necessary access themselves and the newly acting captain doesn’t have explicit need of AA to distribute - it’s just a matter of asserting your position as acting captain to the other heads and receiving access from them. The only command area entirely sealed out are the captain’s personal quarters which any engineer can pry open and/or even reprogram a door for. If multiple entire departments are falling, see the next case.

Case two: Round is completely fucked and almost over anyway, as a revolution or stealth nuclear ops are well on their way to victory. Would be surprised shuttle isn’t already on call and it certainly should be in a case like this. Focus as acting captain should be on expeditious evacuation.

Captain access to the command console and the crew isn’t going to accept a cap without cap ID,
and this system would relay in command been very competent, something that is rare

To be honest, just make the QM a “demi-head” like the wardner at this point, since really the HoP is quite lietrally the bureaucratic arm of the captain.

However, the HoP can be made as a “permantent” First officer, since there would be a void gap between the total dominion of the captain and the lackluster per department powers of the rest of the heads, while also making the QM as a legit head of cargo.

Of course this would shift the powers and effectiveley make the HoP more of a captain and less than a head, however, they could legit be used as a “second opinion” for the captain’s orders.

2 Likes

This + stepping on the toes of other heads is pretty much all most HoPs do anyway. Whether or not this is a necessary or frivolous function is what I’m openly here to debate, but also to propose someone who is not distracted by any of these things actually head up the neglected service areas as an official head.

Then we have an issue here, since Service is pretty much self-suistaining 1/100 times, botany will always end up touching grass and spread whatever cursed fruit on the station, Bar will end up in a riot zone, kitchen is a biohazard area, and the janitors usually fuck off in somewhere and die, not to mention what the clown and mime are authorized to; and all of this doesn’t end up on the HoP’s blame if anything.

The issue is either a massive lackluster things to do/problems to solve in service, or a complete disregard of the SOP.

EDIT: on top of that, when was the last time you ever saw a HoP take notes of whatever happens in service?

BASED. 2020202020

…

This isn‘t a HOP removal. This is a QM removal in disguise.

8 Likes

ME! Though I only report botany’s bullshit if it’s deathnettles or some other OP plant, not that sec usually cares enough to get rid of it.

No, the bar is a ghost town with SSD bartender and the kitchen is being ran shack by assistants since there are no chefs. This isn’t a fault of the HoP usually, though when I’m not busy I try and at least make some food.

Also, I feel like the HoP has enough power as is in the ranks. HoPs usually are the ones dealing with issues that the captain is too “busy” to deal with which includes most service problems.
So, yeah I’m going to disagree heavy on the whole HoP’s are useless role statement. It’s not the jobs that’s the problem it’s employees not realising how much they can do as HoP.

4 Likes

As i mentioned, the HoP role is either too eroded to the point that’s not viable or too prevalent to the point one of the key roles in the station (this case the QM) is completeley conflictual.

1 Like

I personally don’t see the issue with allowing QMs at the very least access to the command comms. It’s very beneficial as I think we can both agree that HoPs never check on cargo nearly enough to be considered the head of that department.

1 Like

If we do that, then we’ll need to give QM a mindshield and make them not antag eligible.

I’m not against that either to be honest.

This is a terrible idea, HOS should be last in this list. Individuals like the CE and RD can generally open time in their duties to perform captain stuff

CMO is generally busy managing three different autism-factories at a time, so they should be lower priority, not higher. CMO should always be on hand at their department to manage the finite resources and brainpower of Medical. Whereas, besides project oversight, Engineering and Science manage themselves.

I’m honestly quite surprised you put HoS so high, given your experience. I often see a complete denaturing of departmental roleplay when the role of HoS and Captain are combined in duties for one individual to manage. Executions and other uninteresting meta game tactics start being the norm and ultimately, Security’s needs will eclipse and ALWAYS be given priority over the station as a whole.

Optimally imo?

HOS → CMO → RD → CE → QM

balls
uh, forget i said anything
https://images-ext-2.discordapp.net/external/BsUYhsgxpOSDrrqoD5BzqY0Tk0pXmrojz9k0riJlwzo/https/media.tenor.com/Ick0491fRK8AAAPo/kms-kill-myself.mp4

4 Likes

Correct. Kick the QM down a notch or two. They’d make for an insufferable and corrupt head the way most people play QM.

Service runs itself fine 99% of the time(and generally they’re not super needed), they don’t really need a head.
Cargo makes itself useful as well, due to the presence of the QM, who is like a warden for HOP.

They don’t need an actively involved head. If there is something needed, its generally a job change thing which HOP takes care of.

This needs to be said. HOS as acting captain is generally a miserable experience.

1 Like