Radstation feedback thread

Hello all, as some of you may be aware I’m working on a new station for bee!
I apricate this is still very early in it’s development but I do use the forums a lot, and enjoy feedback from not only experienced mappers, but players too. And so, here is the feedback thread!

Links:
PR: Rad station by BriggsIDP · Pull Request #8528 · BeeStation/BeeStation-Hornet · GitHub
My repository (so you can view it, details below): BriggsIDP/BeeStation-Hornet-But-Cooler
Image of the map 1.34:
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/107176252/221184713-fb5d8927-8883-45d0-b6dc-b6c644ea5420.jpg

9 Likes

How to view it:
Go to: https://fastdmm2.ss13.io/?repo=BriggsIDP/BeeStation-Hornet-But-Cooler&branch=Rad-Station&map=_maps/map_files/RadStation/RadStation.dmm
Disable the area overlay by clicking the eyeball on the area tab with the red X icon
Middle mouse button to pan around.

1 Like

How many people is this station meant to hold?

minimum player count is set to 20, ideally I would say around 30-40

It honestly looks like it shouldn’t have a minimum player count at all tbh.

1 Like

You may be right about that! it’s designed as kilos slightly bigger brother

It’s kind of shaped like a sea turtle.

4 Likes

Those solars look awesome, too bad the 4th leg of the turtle got chopped off

1 Like

guuu, I’ll admit, i really tried to add a forth one to balance it out, but that area is hard to add to

add a bunch of rotting gibs or debris on that area to symbolize the 4th leg not existing

1 Like

How about an broken solar field with some rocks here and there for the 4th leg?

Also what do you think of calling it turtle station or shell station?

1 Like

haha fineee, i’ll add a debris field around there.
not 100% sure about turtle station, but i like the idea. I’ll have a think about it

1 Like

CARGO
mining office has suit storage? those are on lavaland tho.

Disposals has AIRFLAPS??? damn what a way to prevent people from flying into the grinder if its emagged. also its not in maint or in any way accessible to people crawling around in or out of maint.

No sec post for cargo?

Maint is a good tunnel to a few places so its fine, but the one to sec is unnecesary since it just serves as a basic gateway anyway so you can slim it out.

SCIENCE
Explo is propably safe from maxcaps… propably.

Need a mourge tray for robotics operating room

Xenobio console area could just be integrated to be near the pens saving space.

ENGINEERING
Is that a reverse filter on SM or am i blind.

put the sec post inside engineering not outside its lobby please.

Where is the tankholders and extra plasmacan from secure engi storage?

You could slim down engi and move the board storage room outside engi and use the freed space to make it proper

ATMOS
Atmos kinda makes me sick looking at it… where is the gas mixer for the distro among other interesting pipe layouts.

missing one solar panel farm? or have the 3 others the extra panels to make up for that?

MEDICAL
Viro seemes way too big for such a small map and where the heck are all the nanomed vendors at yo i only see one inside and none outside or at viro? Also the mourge trays might be very annoying to move through.

no 2nd heater in chem?

both maints only serve medical or are dead ends for any other maintaccessing job

2 sec posts for medical?

MISC
so many glass doors… this is a nightmare for well anyone trying to do things they dont want to be seen doing. or its just the way they appear but arent really… Maint needs its hatch type doors.

No holodeck?

a real lack of any maintenance beyond a few unconnected and small spaces or big dead spaces that are just traps and not a good place to go into (think of them like a hallway but not pretty if its a dead end like the sci bottom one its not useful for anyone beyond sci or the one bottom med same deal really (unless somneone from there is an antag or really needs to leave out the back))

needs some more maint.

Dorms maint is simple, but it works are a proper maint

Carps/dolphin spawners where?

COMMAND
Cap/hop Combo room and vault on the BRIDGE? also where the caps gun holder? or the handtele?

Eliminate the meeting room and push it to bridge and instead make that the caps room and add a maint tunnel out of the caps room lobby

SERVICE
No Theatre or theatre backroom?

Botany is WAYYY too big for such a small station, slim it down and add more to service and dorms maybe.

SECURITY
Sec is a bit too fat you could propably eliminate a good portion of the hallways and weird extra double doors and the detectives office could also be slimmed down.

Feels a bit TOO well built and anti shenangiance is screaming at me from it.

Closing words
I mean the station is unorthodox in a good way unlike corg which is unorthodox to be unorthodox in the shitty annoying way.

Just flesh out the critical parts and dont try to build like the people working there are traitors and need to be hampered by design in every way.

also dont be afraid to add maints that have walls to space thats normal to have.

Vented AI is cool and all, but i can land a ghetto ass shuttle in there… and its a bit much.

4 Likes

This station is indeed rad, but the only thing I would change is the center. I’m not a fan of open spaces in spess stations. Maybe add some empty booths and offices along the edges of the departments

1 Like

Yeah, this is a valid point. When botany was first being made I thought oh cool this is a very highpop station like fland, but if it’s not then it doesn’t need to be so big. Metastation’s 14 trays are a good amount for the pop this map aims for.

1 Like

mining office has suit storage? those are on lavaland tho.

Quite often mining will run out of these suits, and considering lava land has 3 mining lockers and 3 suit stores, I feel its appropriate to add 3 suits to my map with the typical 3 lockers, making is possible to have 6 miners in one round (they die quite often)

Disposals has AIRFLAPS??? damn what a way to prevent people from flying into the grinder if its emagged. also its not in maint or in any way accessible to people crawling around in or out of maint.

The flap can be easily removed when emagging the grinder, but your right about accesses. as a alternative, i’ve made is possible to escape disposals without access (like in med), so you would need to jump in disposals to get there, then simply walk out.

No sec post for cargo?
Maint is a good tunnel to a few places so its fine, but the one to sec is unnecesary since it just serves as a basic gateway anyway so you can slim it out.

I didn’t think it needed one being so close to sec, the maint is there to connect cargo to sec, it can be used to quickly get from brig, to cargo to open crates for example.

Need a mourge tray for robotics operating room

there is space to add one so I will!

Xenobio console area could just be integrated to be near the pens saving space.

Xenobio was internally designed this way to force them not to be hidden away in their fort. moving the consoles would defeat this unfortunately

Is that a reverse filter on SM or am i blind.

I’m going to be honest with you, I am a terrible engi, if something looks wrong, it likely is.

put the sec post inside engineering not outside its lobby please.

Can you justify this? My reasoning for the current position was sec is most useful to engi mentoring the entrance (and cams), while free enough to leave quickly if needed. they are also mostly out of engi related harm here.

Where is the tankholders and extra plasmacan from secure engi storage?

in atmos, and above the emitters

You could slim down engi and move the board storage room outside engi and use the freed space to make it proper

If sec moves this can take it’s place, could you go into more detail for what you would consider making it proper?

Atmos kinda makes me sick looking at it… where is the gas mixer for the distro among other interesting pipe layouts.

Again, bad engi. but i believe you are talking about the mixer in the centre of the room?

missing one solar panel farm? or have the 3 others the extra panels to make up for that?

most maps only have three!

Viro seemes way too big for such a small map

will try to slim down… again…

where the heck are all the nanomed vendors at yo i only see one inside and none outside or at viro?

will add more to med, do viro really need one too?

Also the mourge trays might be very annoying to move through.

hmm I don’t often see them left open, but will look at making this have 2 wide minimum

no 2nd heater in chem?

will add

both maints only serve medical or are dead ends for any other maintaccessing job

the maints are for med and engi, they are also always accessible from a hallway.

2 sec posts for medical?

ahh, this is a though one. that second sec post is for evac, but since it backs up to med, why not connect it right? problem is it has bad visibility to med so it can’t be the main med sec post two. maybe i’ll make it only one room and add a staff room there?

so many glass doors… this is a nightmare for well anyone trying to do things they dont want to be seen doing. or its just the way they appear but arent really… Maint needs its hatch type doors.

some of those icons look like glass door and aren’t, I should however make all the maintenance doors the same type!

No holodeck?

ehh, I don’t think its needed, and its a huge waste of space

a real lack of any maintenance beyond a few unconnected and small spaces or big dead spaces that are just traps and not a good place to go into (think of them like a hallway but not pretty if its a dead end like the sci bottom one its not useful for anyone beyond sci or the one bottom med same deal really (unless somneone from there is an antag or really needs to leave out the back))

needs some more maint.

my maintenance philosophy is 1) to allow access from a hallway, 2) connect different room from a department, 3) have dead ends and room for antags, 4) make them wide and decorated. that does limit how much i can have, and where on this small map. you’ll notice a lot more maint in the south of my map, away from heads and sec. that is intentional.

Dorms maint is simple, but it works are a proper maint

Thanks, I like how cozy-backroom this place feels

Carps/dolphin spawners where?

forgot for a second time, will add

Cap/hop Combo room and vault on the BRIDGE? also where the caps gun holder? or the handtele?

I think the vault is the only questionable one about that, hop and capt bunk mates :smile:
Vault is one ranforced wall away from open to anyone with a block of C4 and a hardsuit. it makes more sense to have close to the head rather then QM. if QM needs to get in (when do they ever?) they can just ask capt

hand tele is in the locker, and the gun holster? i think that one may spawn inside the locker

No Theatre or theatre backroom?

“Theatre” is the stage, lack of backroom is both space, and because it get used one at round stat, then never again unless a traitor hacks the door.

Botany is WAYYY too big for such a small station, slim it down and add more to service and dorms maybe.

that’s fair, I am bias to botany. will scale down. any suggestions for the 10-15 tiles that will be freed up for dorms?

Sec is a bit too fat you could propably eliminate a good portion of the hallways and weird extra double doors and the detectives office could also be slimmed down.

may look into this, but as the space is not needed for anything else in that area, is low priority

Feels a bit TOO well built and anti shenangiance is screaming at me from it.

hmm that may be true, at the very least the maint to sec is helping it be less fortified. do you have any suggestions to make it less so?

Just flesh out the critical parts and dont try to build like the people working there are traitors and need to be hampered by design in every way.
also dont be afraid to add maints that have walls to space thats normal to have.

Will look into it!

Vented AI is cool and all, but I can land a ghetto ass shuttle in there… and its a bit much.

if you can manage to land on in there, by all rights you have earnt it :laughing:

I mean the station is unorthodox in a good way unlike corg which is unorthodox to be unorthodox in the shitty annoying way.

Thank you, and thank you for the detailed feedback!

strong disagree. Its the location of all honorable station duels

what about… a nice duel in the park instead?

It would not be nonharmful

holodeck has alot of uses:
Holo sword duels, Pet park for better mood, Kitchen chemmaster and grinder, some small minigames and chess for bored people

Emagged it can:
plasmaflood the station, be a source of some stronk weapons or pranking equipment, Some medical stuff.

a proper theatre with the wooden crate and all the stuff needed (it usually serves as my Portable chem dispenser place as a tot) maybe a pool or holodeck if you bulge out the area a bit.

maybe a proper service lathe room?

1 Like