Let's hear your ideas for medical systems

Adding another stasis bed would help a lot, I’ve been playing a lot as MD recently and noticed that many times one bed is not enough to stop people from ‘decaying’ on the floor, it also allows staff to handle more ‘defibbable’ people, which would help to reduce the usage of cloner.
Removing sleeper is a bad idea, because it would mean that you’d either have to perform surgeries on mildly injured people, or use normal medical supplies, which, for me, were always for emergencies like nukies or similar things, so people can just grab them and use on the field. When you are in medbay, use sleeper to treat mildly injured people, and perform surgeries to help those a little more fucked, really no need to remove them.

Edit: I know that epipens contain formaldehyde which stop organs from decaying, but 80% of doctors still drag bleeding bodies, don’t expect them to epi every corpse.

Medical budget is one of the “wealthiest” budget cards out there, that shit gets incredible amount of money. Have CMO use it to load medbay with stuff. I NEVER see medbay ordering more supplies than what they start with. While they should be using them all the time.

While that is true, ordering tons of shit isn’t a good solution for lack of sleeper, if it was removed. It’s just similar meds to those in sleeper that cost money and tons of time to arrive, no real value gained here.

add a conveyor belt that goes to the morgue

2 Likes

MULE Beds, beds you can drag around, put someone on, and send back to medbay

4 Likes

Personally, I’m pretty happy with the current state of medical. All the interesting things like stasis beds and wound tending have been ported, but the old chems are retained. Cloning now has a limit on its use and has been partially bypassed by the new additions, but hasn’t been removed outright. That said, I still think there’s room for additions and improvments like what’s being discussed here.

I do dislike how centric sleepers and chemicals are to medical, but the new ports have balanced it for me, and with the heavy workload and variable competence of a LRP server there needs to be an simple and effective way to heal living patients.

@Ruko’s idea for broken bones seems interesting for adding depth to nonfatal damage, but it should be simplified and streamlined. Minimize the RNG of getting crippled by a toolbox (if that’s what was implied)
and make it parallel to bleeding: apply splint/bandage to mitigate the immediate effects without curing the underlying cause, or get healing to fully remove both the cause and effects. Splints should prevent damage incurred from using the limb, and then the bone should gradually heal over time if the limb doesn’t take more “bone damage”, drink milk/calcium to reduce the healing time. Surgery should immediately heal the broken bone, this isn’t Bay or CM.

I’ve got a pair of ideas for new machines, I considered them in terms of TG’s medical system, but I’ll throw them out here in case anyone’s interested:

Autosurgeon: Think of the Da Vinci surgical robot, can only perform simple procedures by itself, but a operator can use a console to control the individual tools, and borgs/AIs can interface to do the same. Can sync with research to unlock more advanced surgeries and can be upgraded by R&D as well. When emagged it will violently dissect its patient down to the skeleton, scattering limbs and organs about like the malfunctioning surgical unit found in chapter 11 of Half-Life, Questionable Ethics.
A lesser version could be the Automated Reconstruction Unit, a set of medibot tools suspended over a stasis bed that automatically Tend Wound corpses for defibbing.

Remade Sleeper: An advanced hospital bed that monitors and stabilizes patients rather than filling them with trekchems. Equipped with a ventilator to automatically CPR critical patients, and a dialysis machine to purge reagents and reduce toxin damage from a patient when activated. Reports critical patients over the medical radio and can inject epinephrine from an internal bottle. Patient is exposed when the sleeper is closed, so a doctor can continue treating them inside. Upgrades increase effectiveness of the ventilator and the dialysis unit, add internal reservoirs that can be filled from beakers, and enable a drip-feed of one specific trekchem at a time. When emagged, silences alarms while suffocating and draining the blood of a patient.

5 Likes

This is all moot. Lrp has 20 minute bloodbath rounds. The problem is that it is futile to do your job in chem and medical because the round will be over after you heal 2 people or setup synthflesh plumbing.

Mrp will reap the benefits but at what cost to lrp.

Dialysis machine is actually a very nice idea and would be great if it was added.

Mrp will reap the benefits but at what cost to lrp.

At the cost of making combat more dangerous in an environment with less medical help. Making combat that wasn’t completely one-sided more punishing to the winning side is a good way to slow someone hell-bent on ending the whole station.

Also doctors who refuse to help become valid, no?

As it is, injuries short of crit or having a limb entirely removed are too easy to cure with a dose of medicine and a very short wait. Broken bones adds an injury between fully functional and completely helpless.

Beginner server. Players don’t even fix cut off limbs as it is because beginners don’t understand our incredibly simple medical system. The problem is a product of the player base, not the system

1 Like

dont u have free reign to code whatever u want into the game

Most medical players are already extremely incompetent. The synthflesh merge for cloning alone causes more than enough players to be put out of the round unless one dedicated person bothers to make a synthflesh facotry.

Most often it’s just stuff bodies in the cloner, deformed clone comes out, stuff clone and original corpse into the morgue.

I don’t see how making medical more complicated will do any good, especially on a ‘‘beginner’’ server. Honestly you’ll mostly help a person hell-bent on ending the whole station who’s somewhat competent.

4 Likes

Imagine plumbing.
Just use the record feature and get an inducer.

I mean yeah, but I usually like to make sure it’s a good idea first.

Broken bones sounds like a fine compromise between a damaged limb and a severed limb. But isn’t that what mangled limbs are already for?

I personally would love to see more usage for surgeries.
I really like the way medical is made on Paradise station

• bone fractures as someone above mentioned
  • infections from keeping bad hygiene standards (there is no point in using gloves/mask/washing hands now except for pure RP)
  • internal bleedings
  • dialysis added and possible via sleeper interface by adding beaker.
  • maybe creating standard operating procedures to MRP medical (such as putting anesthesia on patient)
  • with the whole expansion of surgery, a special subjob “surgeon” could be considered along with creating second surgery room.
  • addition of certain limb damage fixable via surgery, such as liver damage.

Why would it be a good change?

• encourages higher hygiene standards (medbay is the messiest department of all times)
  • gives the medical doctor players more ways of treating patients and make their gameplay less boring and more rewarding.
  • i always felt like surgery is not really necessary at all. And hardly ever used apart from spontaneous apendictis/heart attack. While it have so much potential on making something curable easier or only by surgery (such as broken bones)
4 Likes

Oh yeah, good idea, can we get some sort of punishment for being covered in blood and smelling? Especially if you have open wounds or are bleeding?

1 Like

I make sure to wear bloody clothes to deter greytiders who think they can fuck with me. Don’t give it negative effects.

mule beds sound cool

Broken bones sounds like a fine compromise between a damaged limb and a severed limb. But isn’t that what mangled limbs are already for?

It is yes, the issue is currently mangled limbs are too easy to fix with cure-all chems and patches. What I’m proposing will make a limb continue to re-mangle itself as it’s used if the only treatment given is chems.
Giving blunt weapons a chance to instantly break a limb is similar to giving sharp weapons a chance to instantly sever. Breaking is still a weaker effect than severing too.