Hellomate Moderator application

Ive been very busy irl but will give this a good read over soon, pinkie promise :slightly_smiling_face:

Alrighty, questions time from me aswell here. Note these are not very easy questions and it is fine if you miss some things. Just try and answer them to the best of your abilities.

1. You notice the roboticist building a fully lethally (requested and received the weapons from sec) armed durand. After you bwoink him about it they tell you that the HOP ordered said mech. The station is on green alert and nothing serious has happened throughout the shift. What if anything do you do?

2. We’re around 5-10 minutes into a new shift and you receive an admin log that the CE just dusted themselves on the SM. They self-ahelp and claim that they accidently walked into the SM because of space lag and that they tried to build heat exchange pipes in there. What if anything do you do? And how do you respond to the ahelp?

3. You witness someone breaking into places and generally tiding while shouting LRP stuff like “greytide station wide” and more. After you bwoink them about it they tell you that they were roleplaying as a “greytider”. Checking their notes you see that they have one very recent high severity note and already received an also very recent 3 day server ban for LRP behaviour. What if anything do you do? You should be answering this question as a “moderator”. Meaning that you should follow admin conduct and especially the moderator conduct on that page, while also keeping all the boundaries that are set for moderators in mind.

Hello! Thank you for asking me these questions.
Unfortunately I won’t be able to reply until I come back home (between 8:30 and 9:00 GMT+1, probably).
(writing this during lunch break)

Possible rules broken: 1.3 (follow SoP)/12, possibly 9 (powergaming)

The main issue here seems to be (at first glance, at least) that the roboticist and HoP haven’t followed proper SoP procedures.
A roboticist should (under normal circumstances) only build an armed Durand if the HoS or Captain requests it.

The first thing I would do is ask the HoP if they had a valid reason for requesting the construction of this mech, and if they had asked for permission from the Cap/HoS.

If they neither had a reason nor asked for permission, I would tell them to have it deconstructed and warn them to follow SoP (since heads are required under normal circumstances to follow SoP).

If there was a plausible reason* as to why they requested a mech to be built, and if they did ask for permission, then I would let them have it.
Having the mech for powergaming reasons (protecting themselves, just because, etc…) clearly wouldn’t be allowed, though.

It could be the case that the roboticist lied about the HoP requesting it.
I would have to check the logs if the HoP didn’t know what I was talking about.
Lying in a ticket would result in a ban.

*A valid enough reason would be: (eg) if the captain had organized a tournament between mechs in an arena and the HoP decided to partecipate (I’ve seen it happen multiple times on Sage, and it’s always fun; it can also provide some RP opportunities if the shift was too dull), If this were the case and the mechs were kept only for the duration of the fight i don’t see why the it shouldn’t be built.

In this scenario I would be a moderator, that makes me unable to aheal anyone.

First I would have to check if this player actually was the CE this round (Lying in a ticket would result in a ban).

If they were the CE:
The accident could have absolutely been caused by lag.
But it could have also been caused by an antagonist, so that’s the first thing I would check.
I would start by giving a good look at the logs, looking for any interaction they might have had with other players. If i find anything suspicious I would bwoink that player and ask what happened to the CE.

If this were an accident:
If there were no full-admins online, I would ask for admin intervention on discord.
In the meanwhile I would ask the CE to remain connected because I have contacted admins, and they may help him.

Possible rules broken: 1, 2 (possibly) and 3

At a first glance this player doesn’t seem to be interested in playing on a roleplay server.

I would first have to check if they are an antagonist, if they aren’t then they wouldn’t be allowed to break into places (this may change if there is valid IC need to do so, but greytiding isn’t one).

Because of their recent history of LRP behavior, which has continued even after a ban, I don’t think a warning would be enough for them to change their attitude (if such a thing even is possible).

I would notify admins on discord and suggest a permaban (since this isn’t a blatant case of griefing, admins need to agree with the ban).

I will remain online for the next hour (until 23:00 GMT+1).
Tomorrow I will be available from 19:00 to 24:00.

Mods dont get votes but since I used to not be a mod and just dont have time for fullmin let me give a few thinks.

6+6+3=15 fucking questions.

Holy shit, how hard are we grilling this guy? Most people get like 0 to 3 questions, maybe 5.

They’re usually not even supposed to need to get them all right, just show they care to think about them and know our basic rules well enough. Also usually tell them to ask for advice from other admins when unsure.

some of the answers are rather lackluster in my personal opinion

Putting a shit ton of effort into applications isn’t supposed to be required, rather an optional way to show ones dedication to their role.

They’re using proper punctuation and full sentences, more then some accepted applications.

Your not supposed to try to beat my record of the 3138 word self reflection essay.

Holy shit thats a lot of hours, just from the time you’ve spent here and your extremely low relative note count, I think that proves you care about this community more then whatever you could write.

Just accept this guy already.

1 Like

Thank you for trusting me, but I do understand the admins’ concerns too.
I honestly dont mind the process, but I have been tempered by the huge italian bureaucratic apparatus and compared to that a couple of weeks of waiting are nothing ahah

1 Like

It is entirely unreasonable to expect an applicant to have perfect answers across the board.
Especially for questions involving prayers and other such things they won’t even be dealing with as a moderator.
I don’t see any reason not to give them a chance. +1

1 Like

Not enough questions.
Please write a 500 word essay on why you should be a mod.

Jokes aside i love seeing this app.
I only have two questions.
Whats your favorite station pet and why is it renault.

A senario comes up that is either out of range of your perms, or you dont know how to handle it.
What do you do?

1 Like

If I’ll ever be unsure of how to handle a ticket I will ask for advice from staff present in the round or on discord.
If nobody could reply within a reasonable amount of time (if the situation doesn’t require urgent intervention I could wait till the end of the shift) I would have to handle the situation as well as I can by following the server rules and admin conduct as strictly as possible.
My precise course of action would depend on the specific situation, though.

monkey fun

1 Like

Very good!
Cant say much other that i support you joining the team…
oh wait… failed the renault question, go away heretic!

But Yes. you did very well on your APP, and we are happy to get more helping hands.
Good luck

1 Like

cough
t:+2 by the way
cough

1 Like

I’d normally ask question

but, Invini asks the same exact set of questions, so

I’m gonna give you +1.

Answers might be rough, not good enough or anything (not saying they are!) but the hour/punishment ratio is honest really great and you deserve the plus score on this part alone.
I don’t think any more questions are needed and good luck on your app.

What ban length or what exact punishment would you give there? Also make sure to always check notes. Like there is literally never a situation where you don’t want to check the notes. (You should only include the notes once you have decided that something is worth punishing not beforehand.)
Good answer here though.

To be honest this answer was a bit all over the place. It’s good to check if everything is in order though, especially checking if an antagonist killed the CE.
You assumed here that the CE requested an aheal. Which according to the question they did not. They only explained themselves. It would also be debatable if this would be worthy of an aheal. Aheals should only be given out in very rare circumstances.

The main point of the question was that it was indeed an accident. Now you missed to tell us under what conditions you would consider it to be an actual accident. Getting an admin online would not be a bad idea though either way. As even if they don’t get an aheal it is still important to spawn in the magboots/blueprints if it had been a traitor round.

Good.

This in my and other admins opinions is way too harsh. Jumping from a three day ban straight to a perma for LRP behaviour and tiding is too much. Basically from a three day ban you go to either a week or multiple weeks/ a month depending on how severe it is. And afterwards you go to either multiple months or perma. You managed to remember to get auth though which was the main point of the question i wanted you to get.

Getting auth makes this rather bad punishment from your side not bad at all. Because the fullmin you would’ve requested auth from would’ve told you that the ban length was too long and you would’ve adjusted it. The maint point of getting a fullmin to authorize your ban is for you to get a feel for decent ban lengths/overall punishments and to avoid you making bad bans.

I’d say decent answers overall even though they were a bit convoluted. But i believe you really care and give what you can so i’d like to see how you do as a moderator! +1

T: +4

(Why am i always the guy that has to count them together. :angry: )

1 Like

Kero believes you should perhaps not.
You have miscounted after all.

2 Likes

I had to recount so many times, thank you kero, very cool

(Also while I cant vote, I support this man getting accepted)

1 Like

In this specific case (where a roboticist lied by telling me the HoP requested the mech) I admit that outright banning them because of it would be too much, but in this context lying would definitely aggravate their situation.

The main issue here is that they both broke the rules AND lied about it.

If the situation went down as I had described I wouldn’t end up banning them for more than a few hours (powergaming; SoP should be enforced by security for non heads).

Setting up the SM is supposed to be dangerous, if they just accidentally walked into it because they weren’t looking I wouldn’t agree to them being brought back to life.

In a perfect world I would only request admin intervention if the accident were caused by lag, a bug, or if their keyboard malfunctioned.

Since we can’t know if this was an actual instance of lag screwing them over, I would have to take their word for it.

1 Like

Am i going insane? I do think i count them together correctly

Kero believes you have forgotten what day it is.

4 Likes

It was a joke lmao
It took me a good 20 minutes to understand it

EDIT: i’m not the brightest