Hellomate Moderator application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have):

Hellomate

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have):

llllllllllla#3350

How often are you online to help? (Timezone):

I’m attending university, so my schedule will inevitably vary every semester. Currently I can be online from around 20:15 to 22:00 GMT+1, probably more on weekends.
This will change if I’m studying for one of the harder exams.

What changes, if any, would you bring?:

I’m just interested in helping to resolve tickets, especially since I noticed that there usually aren’t many (if any) admins on while I’m online.

How old are you?:

Why do you want to be a moderator?:

I’ve heard the team is understaffed, and unfortunately I have noticed how this has negatively affected the server. Since I care about this community (bee is one of the very few servers I fit in) I decided I could help out.

How long have you been playing SS13?:

I started playing on bee in late 2019, though only in the last year I decided to dedicate some time to improving as a player and as a member of this community.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?:

My first round played on Bee took place back in late 2019.
I played around a hundred hours back on old Sage, but after the Golden invasion I moved to Aurora and other similar servers.
After a couple years I decided to come back, looking for more dynamic rounds and a higher population.

Playtime: 1434h (959h/475h)
I like to observe rounds sometimes, half paying attention to what happens.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?:

Solid six, I believe I have a decent knowledge of the fundamentals of every department.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an administrator? (this can include past games):

Three, I don’t really have any prior experience.

Have you ever been an admin or moderator on another server? This is not limited to SS13:

I have never moderated any online community before.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?:

I don’t have any, no.

Your strengths:

I’m an absolute masochist, after all I’m used to playing a lot of Warden and Head of Personnel.
Jokes aside, I’d consider myself to be level-headed, it’s hard for me to get impatient or angry.

Your weaknesses:

I’m very inexperienced as a moderator, but I’m ready to do my best to learn and improve.
English is my second language, this could be another shortcoming of mine.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?:

I find it extremely irritating when the backseat Gamers of dead chat start insulting someone who is clearly new to the game.
Usually happens for Xenomorph or Operative spawns, but it’s not rare for people to throw a fit at the first antagonist who doesn’t murder all of security within the first 20 minutes of the round.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?:

I believe that having the patience to not jump to conclusions is fundamental to good admin-work. Things could be more complicated than what they initially appear.

What makes a staff team good?:

Communication and availability are key in good team work, but so is honesty. Being ready to own up to a mistake is necessary and not always easy.

What is a staff team’s purpose?:

To ensure a certain level of quality of the rounds. Roleplay servers especially are held to higher standards rulewise, and the staff must make sure these rules are being followed.

What kind of player are you?:

I used to be somewhat of a tider until around 200 hours spent on this server.
After having migrated to HRP servers I started to understand how even the most low effort attempt at roleplay could increase the enjoyment you (and everyone around you) get out of the game.
Now I play many different characters, trying to focus on interacting with other players.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?:

I would become better at interacting within an online community, I imagine.
I would also have to spend more time observing rounds.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?:

I would start by checking the antag status of the clown.
If they were a regular crewmember I would check their notes.
Next I would wait for an opportune moment to bwoink the clown, and ask them the reason why they did it. Then I would remind them that the gun is an antagonist objective, and as such it shouldn’t be stolen.
After doing that I’d bwoink the HoS, and ask for their side of the story.
If the clown acted within escalation policy in a legitimate way (and no bad note history), they would just get warned by me not to do that again.
If the incident was malicious in nature, depending on the context I would either write a negative note, or ban the clown for self antagonizing (or the HoS, in the rarer occasion that they were at fault).

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that an admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?:

I would immediately freeze them and check their hours/history. If they were a griefer (low hours or bad notes) I would ask an admin to perma ban them. It’s impossible for a clueless newbie to connect plasma to the distro. If no admins answered I’d still ban them, and notify on discord.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:

That tends to happen to new chemists. I would check their notes, and unless they were trying to build grenades as a non-antag, or just griefing, I’d consider it an IC issue. I would have to write a note about the accident, though.

I’ll reply to questions during the evening, peace
(let’s hope i formatted everything correctly)

2 Likes

I don’t have anything to comment on your original app, the lack of experience isn’t really an issue since moderators receive training before they get their perms.

Here are a few questions to answer, some of them are hard and don’t have a clear cut answer. The point is more to see how you approach those issues rather than finding the one absolute correct response :

1. You receive an ahelp from someone with the following content : ““Michael Bay has joined the station as assistant””. How do you respond?

2. An oozeling security officer ahelps complaining that someone shot them with a syringe which caused them to die. After investigating, you discover that the perpetrator is a mime who shot them with a water-filled syringe using a syringe gun. The mime is a brand new account and it’s their first time on the server, they only shot that one syringe. What do you do?

3. You are playing while deadminned as a medical doctor, when an assistant barges in medbay screaming “THIS IS AN EPIC MOMENT” and throws a grenade, killing you and another before running off. What do you do?

4. You are observing while adminned and notice a conga line of about 5 crewmembers has formed. The person leading the conga line takes it to Brig and hacks open a door before entering, prompting security to arrest everyone. During the chaos, someone primes a grenade killing some crew and security member. No one has ahelped yet, do you do anything?

5. You get a ticket from someone who just joined the server asking “Hey, so this is like TG right?”. What’s your reponse?

6. You are observing a round that has been going for about 15 minutes when the captain ahelps stating “Can you stop the HOP from distributing AA to everyone?”. What do you do?

I would check if anyone with that name has joined the round, if they did i would bwoink them and explain how that name is a breach of naming policy, then ask them to change it as soon as possible. I would then write a note and let them play the round as normal.

Unfortunately Security officers are fair game for most antags.

I would check the antag status of the mime, if they were a regular crewmember I would ask them what led to them killing the officer.

Then I’d ask the same to the officer.

The fact that the mime was carrying both a syringe gun AND water is suspicious though, especially since it’s the first time they join the server (possible evader).

Even if they were following legitimate escalation policy, killing a security officer is always over escalation.

Because of that, unless the officer was griefing, I would have to at least issue a ban for self antagonizing to the mime.

I would ahelp this, since i’m involved in the situation. If no admin answers the ticket, I would ghost and check their antag status. If they are a crewmember I would make sure they aren’t planning to murder more people.
If they were planning to grief again I would have to ban them myself.

I would check the person who primed the grenade and the one who hacked into security.

If they are antagonists, depending on how many people got caught in the explosion I would warn whoever primed the grenade about killing regular crewmembers and write a note.

If these two players were not antagonists I would ban them for self antagonizing.

I would then bwoink all the other people involved in the conga and tell them not to break into places they aren’t supposed to be in, depending on how bad it is I could write a note for each.

“Hello, and welcome to Beestation. Yes, the code is based on TG, but there are many differences. I’ll remind you that this is an RP server, and you are supposed to have read the rules before playing. If you have any questions please mentorhelp or browse the wiki. Before doing anything that could be considered dangerous (to you, the station or other players) please ahelp and wait for our reply. Have fun.”

I’d probably check on them every once in a while.

I would check the antag status of HoP (hell, you never know) and their notes/bans.

If they are a regular crewmember I would bwoink them and ask for clarification.

Depending on the situation I could issue a command/job ban and a one hour (or more) ban to let them read rules and SOP.

Right now i’m following online lessons (:face_holding_back_tears:) but in around 4 hours i’ll be able to answer other messages.

How do you respond to the following situations:

1. Someone ahelps “They’re doing gun cargo”. You look over, and cargo has ordered three Russian surplus crates and are cracking them open with an emitter. None of the cargo techs or qm are antags.
  2. Asimov AI declares that partying is harmful, after three people die to liver failure from drinking at the party. It shuts down the disco ball and tries to steal it and bring it to arrivals. A moth is chasing its shell the entire way. After about a minute of chasing and fighting over the disco ball, the AI flashes the moth and throws it out an airlock, then continues to dispose of the disco ball.
  3. A traitor emags Orion Trail and then goes to do other things. A group of crewmembers gather around to look at it, and one of them starts to play. He makes it to Orion, and gets the prize, which he instantly uses. This blows a hole in the station and kills the six nearby crewmembers.
  4. You delay the round end to investigate a ticket. You finish investigating it and you go do other things. Upon your return, 90 minutes later, you discover that you forgot to undelay the round and it has been stuck on round end for the past hour and a half.
  5. Wizard buys a slaughter demon, that immediately turns around and eats him. He ahelps saying that he should be ahealed.
  6. You’re a fullmin, and someone prays “Do your worst”

Cargo staff members aren’t normally allowed to crack open these crates, they would need permission from the HoS/acting captain. Certain circumstances (Blob, xenos or war operatives while having no way to contact security) could justify their actions.

If this isn’t the case, I would check for notes and bwoink the QM and technicians to ask them what they are doing with those crates.

If they aren’t able to provide a proper reason I would tell them to sell everything they bought.

I would then write a note for everyone who was involved, unless they just tagged along because they were new.

Unless they have a bad note/ban history I wouldn’t consider banning anyone over this.

Silicons need to protect the crew before anything else, and they follow lavaland escalation, which means they can skip all the way to step 5 if they aren’t the aggressor as long as they are following laws in good faith (though the word fighting is a bit ambiguous here).

I would still bwoink them and warn them not to kill someone for such a petty reason, even if they are non-human.

Depending on the circumstances I could write a negative note.

I’m admittedly unfamiliar with this situation. I would seek help from a more experienced admin on discord.
I would warn the traitor not to do that again (if they don’t have a murderbone objective) and write a note.
But I wouldn’t feel confident in doing anything more unless I get directions from admins.

I’d restart the round as soon as possible and apologize both on forum and discord.
That’s all I could do.

I cannot aheal the wizard.
I would contact another admin, and in the meanwhile ban the demon player from ever getting that antagonist ever again. I would also ban them for not following escalation steps (wizard should be their allied). Depending on their hours (new player) and note/ban history i would choose the duration of this ban.

Depends on the gamemode and on the rank of the player who asked.

I’d probably just do nothing and tell them “Done. Expect the worst.”.

I know it’s lame, but it’s too low effort for me.

They would at least need to pray a whole copypasta for me to take them seriously.

I’ll be able to answer questions from now till 22:00 GMT +1

1. This isn’t really gun cargo, as with the money they spent on russian surplus crates they could’ve easily gotten auto rifles or energy guns. This one’s an IC issue to me.
  2. Good
  3. It’s not the traitor’s fault, he just emagged it and ran off. The person I’d look at is the one that blew the prize bomb, as they are probably a somewhat experienced player if they managed to win the emagged version of the game.
  4. Good
  5. Wrong, the slaughter demon is not allied with the wizard, and is fully able to kill the wizard if they want. IC issue.
  6. Boring.

Good faith application, but the kicker for this one was the boring answer to number six. +0

1 Like

I see, i’ll keep this in mind then. I haven’t really ever had the chance to buy one of those before in game. :+1:

I’ll probably post my questions at a later date but i just noticed something while reading through your app. Basically, you write a note every time you “warn” someone. Anything that breaks our rules needs to be noted. Obviously only if you got all the facts right. Eg being a traitor or having an IC reason for something etc.

This is very important, otherwise it is always the “first time” if you understand what i mean. Warning them = note.

Notes are form of record, not a punishment.

Alright, I understand what you mean.

It’s past 22:00 GMT+1. I’ll reply to any further question tomorrow. Good night/afternoon. :sleeping:

I don’t see anything grievously wrong with the application itself, though some of the answers are rather lackluster in my personal opinion, and this rather prompts me to leave my vote at a +0.

Good luck on your application.

T: ±0

1. Good

2. Overall, good. Non-murderbone antags are allowed to preemptively take out sec and command using low colateral method.

3. Good. The only exception to that policy is indeed if someone is griefing the server, not just you as a player.

4. Good considering the elements I gave you. Still I believe you should try to investigate if the players had IC motivation, it helps dissociate someone griefing from someone that simply took their RP too far.

5. Okay, although you should tell people to ahelp if they have questions regarding server rules, and to mhelp when they have questions regarding game mechanics. Adminhelp isn’t just for reporting players or asking for permission to self-antag.

6. Good.

While your answer to Ivni’s last question was indeed boring, I don’t believe it is reason enough for me to push for denying your app. Moderators aren’t expected to entertain the players during the round, and you’ve shown to me that you have the right mindset when it comes to handling tickets.

Although I would suggest putting in more efforts for those type of questions, moderator is the first step towards fullmin and it would be interesting to see how you would fare with player requests.

I’m going to give a +1 on your app.
Good luck.

T:+1

(Quickly writing this during lunch break)

Thank you.

I am genuinely not interested in becoming an admin (right now, at least).
I’m just interested in helping out by dealing with tickets while I’m online (in game and forum).

If it’s really necessary i could write another reply to that same question tonight, putting some more effort into it.

10 posts were split to a new topic: Discussion about russian surplus crates and stuff

Ive been very busy irl but will give this a good read over soon, pinkie promise :slightly_smiling_face:

Alrighty, questions time from me aswell here. Note these are not very easy questions and it is fine if you miss some things. Just try and answer them to the best of your abilities.

1. You notice the roboticist building a fully lethally (requested and received the weapons from sec) armed durand. After you bwoink him about it they tell you that the HOP ordered said mech. The station is on green alert and nothing serious has happened throughout the shift. What if anything do you do?

2. We’re around 5-10 minutes into a new shift and you receive an admin log that the CE just dusted themselves on the SM. They self-ahelp and claim that they accidently walked into the SM because of space lag and that they tried to build heat exchange pipes in there. What if anything do you do? And how do you respond to the ahelp?

3. You witness someone breaking into places and generally tiding while shouting LRP stuff like “greytide station wide” and more. After you bwoink them about it they tell you that they were roleplaying as a “greytider”. Checking their notes you see that they have one very recent high severity note and already received an also very recent 3 day server ban for LRP behaviour. What if anything do you do? You should be answering this question as a “moderator”. Meaning that you should follow admin conduct and especially the moderator conduct on that page, while also keeping all the boundaries that are set for moderators in mind.

Hello! Thank you for asking me these questions.
Unfortunately I won’t be able to reply until I come back home (between 8:30 and 9:00 GMT+1, probably).
(writing this during lunch break)

Possible rules broken: 1.3 (follow SoP)/12, possibly 9 (powergaming)

The main issue here seems to be (at first glance, at least) that the roboticist and HoP haven’t followed proper SoP procedures.
A roboticist should (under normal circumstances) only build an armed Durand if the HoS or Captain requests it.

The first thing I would do is ask the HoP if they had a valid reason for requesting the construction of this mech, and if they had asked for permission from the Cap/HoS.

If they neither had a reason nor asked for permission, I would tell them to have it deconstructed and warn them to follow SoP (since heads are required under normal circumstances to follow SoP).

If there was a plausible reason* as to why they requested a mech to be built, and if they did ask for permission, then I would let them have it.
Having the mech for powergaming reasons (protecting themselves, just because, etc…) clearly wouldn’t be allowed, though.

It could be the case that the roboticist lied about the HoP requesting it.
I would have to check the logs if the HoP didn’t know what I was talking about.
Lying in a ticket would result in a ban.

*A valid enough reason would be: (eg) if the captain had organized a tournament between mechs in an arena and the HoP decided to partecipate (I’ve seen it happen multiple times on Sage, and it’s always fun; it can also provide some RP opportunities if the shift was too dull), If this were the case and the mechs were kept only for the duration of the fight i don’t see why the it shouldn’t be built.

In this scenario I would be a moderator, that makes me unable to aheal anyone.

First I would have to check if this player actually was the CE this round (Lying in a ticket would result in a ban).

If they were the CE:
The accident could have absolutely been caused by lag.
But it could have also been caused by an antagonist, so that’s the first thing I would check.
I would start by giving a good look at the logs, looking for any interaction they might have had with other players. If i find anything suspicious I would bwoink that player and ask what happened to the CE.

If this were an accident:
If there were no full-admins online, I would ask for admin intervention on discord.
In the meanwhile I would ask the CE to remain connected because I have contacted admins, and they may help him.

Possible rules broken: 1, 2 (possibly) and 3

At a first glance this player doesn’t seem to be interested in playing on a roleplay server.

I would first have to check if they are an antagonist, if they aren’t then they wouldn’t be allowed to break into places (this may change if there is valid IC need to do so, but greytiding isn’t one).

Because of their recent history of LRP behavior, which has continued even after a ban, I don’t think a warning would be enough for them to change their attitude (if such a thing even is possible).

I would notify admins on discord and suggest a permaban (since this isn’t a blatant case of griefing, admins need to agree with the ban).

I will remain online for the next hour (until 23:00 GMT+1).
Tomorrow I will be available from 19:00 to 24:00.