CKEY: gunslinger201

Admin’s CKEY: winterdarkraven

Is this for both servers or just one? If so, which one: Beestation Sage

Which server did the ban happen on? Beestation Sage

Ban Type: Server

Ban Length: 7 days

Ban Date (MM/DD/YYYY): 01-25-2021 05:20

Round ID: 26423

Ban Reason: “Powergaming/Self Antagonism. Somehow miss clicked a flamethrower three times at three different locations as a non-antag clown. Don’t get flamethrowers as a non-antag for no reason and don’t “miss click” with them.”

Appeal Reason: I genuinely didn’t shoot the flamethrower 3 times. I don’t know how why you guys think I shot it 3 times, the thing only went off once. The only thing I can think of is that maybe I clicked with it when the pilot light was off and the logs counted that as it being “shot”. I don’t know how game logs work but I would appreciate it if you could check to see if it shot fire.

I misclicked it a single time in the bar when I had the pilot light on to kill the bar monkey (You can see in the logs that I was talking about killing the monkey). I had the little talk pop up window open and wanted to turn my character to face the guy I was talking to but I couldn’t use CTRL + wasd to turn myself so I clicked to face him.

Just before this, I had found 2 people breaking into the clown’s room. I made some joke about setting them on fire but did not do it. Now I know this looks bad, but had I actually been trying to grief, wouldn’t I have set them on fire instead of shooting once in the bar?

The only reason you don’t believe me when I say this is a misclick is because you think I did it 2 other times. I did not shoot it before the bar incident. It did not shoot fire if it was shot at all. The time I shot it was when the pilot light was on, when I was clearly trying to shoot the monkey.

As for "Don’t get flamethrowers as a non-antag for no reason ", the reason I had the flamethrowers at all is because a scientist firebombed me in the HoP line earlier. I found him making flamethrowers at cargo and stole them from him. That’s not the same as rushing some kind of powerful tech to gain an advantage in the game. Also I was attacked by a xeno earlier so maybe that’s why people were making flamethrowers.

This was a single misclick, I was not trying to kill random people. I haven’t tried to kill random people in the past and have quite a few hours on the server recently. I wouldn’t start griefing out of the blue. The only reason this looks bad is because the admins seem to think I shot it 3 times, in 3 separate occasions. It’s a bit of a weak argument but I really just didn’t do that and I hope something in the logs can show you that.

This was a single misclick, not a shooting spree.

Additional Information:

You’re right, it wasn’t three times… it was five times, although not at three different locations.

Hard to believe the use in the bar was a misclick when it was fire three times in the bar. Logs don’t lie.

Is there some way to see if it counts as being “shot” when the flamethrower is turned off? That’s what I’m getting at here.

“Attacked with flamethrower” is what it says if you’re whacking something

Right, but you need the pilot light to be on for it to shoot fire.

This is a Sage only ban. You shouldn’t be walking about with a flamethrower as a clown, you shouldn’t be terrorizing people with it as a non-antagonist, and you shouldn’t be setting places on fire.

The problem isn’t that you miss clicked, it’s that you had it in the first place. If you get a weapon, you’re going to use it. Why get a flamethrower for any other reason?

I was aware of the extra two shots at the theatre, I even brought that up. I don’t know why I didn’t mention those in the ban note.

If you don’t want to roleplay, play on Golden LRP. You’ll have more fun there.
(You still can’t burn places to the ground)

ignition is logged separately however, so it’s arduous but the other points could be checked

There is still the part where we know it was lit and fired in the bar, and the fact you had a flamethrower too, ofc.

As I said above, I had them because I stole them from the scientist who set me on fire earlier, not to get some kind of advantage in the game and terrorize people. I believe this is different from rushing tech or weapons and thus does not fall into the realm of metagaming. It was not my intention to get a flamethrower at the beginning of the round. Shouldn’t it be security’s job to confiscate the weapons? Isn’t it part of the clown’s job to create chaos and antagonize people? I wasn’t going to use them on other people and it can be shown that I didn’t intentionally do that.

Would you not agree that if it can be proven that I didn’t actually shoot the flamethrower (e.g. it was not ignited), this is a believable misclick?

No. You entertain the crew.

1 Like

When I’ve got the dialogue window open (the one bound to T), I can’t turn my character’s portrait to face the person I’m talking to by using CTRL + wasd because the game window isn’t focused. I had to click on the game window in the direction I wanted to face to turn my character. I had the unlit flamethrower in my hands and it must have counted it as being shot. If you check the ignition, it will be unlit for every one except for the bar one. I think this improves my case for it being a misclick for 2 reasons:

1. I did not shoot it 5 times, this was a one-off mistake
  2. You can see that I was using this method of turning my portrait before it was actually shot, and it only went off because the pilot light was turned on

I really think this is inconsistent with the way most clowns are played. I was flaunting the flamethrowers to scare people and hopefully bother security.

I really don’t think that scaring people as the clown is that unreasonable of an act, you see it all the time. What rule does scaring people as entertainment break?

No it’s not, like your job is the exact opposite, entertain the crew and try to find a gimmick that isn’t just being an ass to people.

In your case power gaming, just because you stole the flamethrower doesn’t mean you weren’t power gaming, you should have turned it into sec or just called sec in the first place.

I was the person he did it in front of, I was selling him a pair of insulated gloves and he offered to show me something cool instead of paying, I agreed, we went to the bar where he planned to set Pun Pun on fire, then accidentally set his own dumb ass on fire. The flamethrower only went off one time. He wasn’t even self-antagging, we were just dicking around. Nobody was set on fire except himself, and his target was Pun Pun.

As far as it being his job or not: I thought it was peak clown, it was fucking hilarious, and I gave him the gloves for free.

I think this ban is super silly, it was pretty funny, his target wasn’t another person, and he didn’t hurt anyone except himself. Besides Pun Pun it was just me and him in the bar, I’m pretty sure.

I think you should really look through the logs a bit more thoroughly to capture the RP before and after; I thought it was pretty hilarious and he clearly wasn’t targeting anyone.

EDIT: The room didn’t even become too hot to hang out in.

7 Likes

As I explained above, I didn’t steal it because it was a flamethrower, I stole it because it belonged to the scientist who set me on fire. My plan for that round was to get engineering access from the HoP so I could build some sort of clown room in maints, but then I was firebombed in the HoP’s line (I believe the culprit was also banned in the same round). Later, I ran into the pyromaniac scientist in the hallway as he was printing more flamethrowers from the cargo lathe and stole them.

I believe this is different from power gaming because I had not set out to make the flamethrowers. I would be power gaming if I had rushed to the cargo lathe at roundstart, hacked it and printed a flamethrower for no reason. I only had them because I wanted to get revenge on the scientist. Shouldn’t this have been something for security to deal with?

I understand that you guys have to keep the server safe from griefers and other miscreants. And I appreciate it. I also realize that what I did was highly suspicious in the logs as it looks like I was trying to burn the station down.

I’ve explained how these logs were misleading and how an incorrect conclusion was made based on them (that I had used a flamethrower 5 times and was breaking RP rules). I believe that my only wrongdoing was to keep the flamethrowers although I did have a RP reason to steal them. I knew that clowns aren’t supposed to have flamethrowers and that it was a bad thing to do, but I figured that security would deal with it (Space Law code 304 - Possession, Restricted Weapons) instead of an admin. There has also been a first-hand account from a witness who explained how I did no harm from his point of view.

I understand where you guys are coming from, but I really think an incorrect conclusion was reached due to the way flamethrowers work in the logs. I would appreciate it if my ban could be annulled or revised.

1 Like

I’ll be honest I also think that a clown walking around dual-wielding flamethrowers is, in itself, really fucking funny, even if he doesn’t use them. The fact that he ended up setting himself and nobody else on fire only makes it funnier.

5 Likes