Curator and Chaplain should have maints. Assistants shouldn't

All of what you listed are gimmicks that you could do as Assistant.

exactly these are way better ways to just use flavoring to fix the same ‘problem’ people have without just making assistant less fun

assistant doesn’t need to be fun and it doesn’t need to exist

Aight get outta here, the moment you said assistant doesn’t need to exist is the moment your argument becomes invalid.

Assistants, along with Clowns, are the mascots of this game and are a role for the reason to give new players less responsibility and let older players mess around without sticking to a job.

6 Likes

then maybe dont remove maint access from assistants?

1 Like

Assistants, along with Clowns, are the mascots of this game

I lol’d. Assistants are absolutely forgettable

are a role for the reason to give new players less responsibility

Cool. So why should they be in maint where they’ll likely be murdered by some antag?

and let older players mess around without sticking to a job.

“Messing around” requiring maint access sounds like the codeword for tiding.

Assistants are likely to be split into two roles, one with maint but also responsibility to actually assist, probably for one set department, and another role maybe named Visitor without maint access or responsibilities.

If assistants are forgettable than you dont have too good of a memory.
Each tider is unique and without them sec would be a nightmare.

3 Likes

I thought better of you Victor

1 Like

wait, why?

@BarrelBox @anon26938153
There’s a few who are quite robust or have good gimmicks of course. However it’s an overflow role with over a dozen of them in a round usually, so just by virtue of numbers there’s going to be a few notable individuals. On average though this means they’re not any more memorable than any other role, let alone to the point of being “mascots” which just comes across as an ego thing.

They are mascots though? Toolbox and tiding with insuls is literally like what most people see first and see last before they quit

1 Like

It ultimately does not matter that the non-memorable players exist, because giving them a job title would ultimately fix nothing. If they go for assistant and have no idea of what to do, they are either a new player asking people around, or a non-creative tider who is gonna keep security sane on greenshifts
Edit: assistants are not any more memorable than others? Okay, how does that warrant removing them?

I liked Tider #713 breaking into my department with insuls and sunglasses instead of asking for something at the window.

Much more memorable that Tider #891 who killed me with a toolbox for shoving them while they were breaking into my department.

3 Likes

why the fuck are we entertaining this.
they just admitted assistant is fun
and they want it gone
WHAT THE FUCK
please wall of shame this thread jesus fuck

3 Likes

alright let me try and put this into words alright
this might not be the most articulate thing because this is a hard idea to word and i suck at it but stick with me
but assistants need maint access because it is fun
if we followed this philosiphy
viro doesnt need to exist, and the entire disease system can go with it, because what fun situations has that ever caused, and fuck virologists they don’t matter.
fuck xenobio, golemtide is a thing that can happen and therefore xenobio bad
there goes toxins and botany for the same reasons, they don’t NEED to exist, and can cause negative feelings, so begone
following this design philosiphy to it’s logical (to me) conclusion, results in the following game
Service is now a 9-5 simulator, where you play out a roughly realistic job bartending, sweeping floors, or serving food.
Science is cookie clicker for research, from which about 50% of tech nodes have been removed because medbay doesnt NEED anything but cryo to treat everyone now do they
Medbay is now two cryo tubes, fueled by a tank full of cryoxodone that cannot be exhaused
All crates except material crates have been removed from cargo, which now relies entirely on an amplified version of the real stock market to determine profit
Security does not exist, because you can just bola and spear the valids to death
All engines have been removed from the game with the exception of TEG, and that and solars have been pre-setup on all maps
All gasses with the exceptions of nitrogen and oxygen have been removed
Antagonists have been removed, because they lead to grief and confusion, and fuck how fun that was
Assistants no longer exist, and if there are no jobslots you are forced to observe and wait for a midround.

alright so it got a bit silly towards the end, but you wanna hear a spoiler?
the last one is an actual suggestion made in this thread
and it fit right in with this new game verson right?
funny.
can;t wait for this thread to become even more of a dumpster fire than it is overnight.

3 Likes

Assistants don’t need to be fun, unique, or interesting. They don’t need to exist. It’s an overflow role for when all the meaningful roles are taken during extremely high-pop times. That’s all. It’s just a stopgap solution for “we don’t have enough role slots for the number of players we have.”

Cargo tech, scientist, and medical doctor roles can all easily hold more than the current cap of 5 in a high pop situation. And should.

No more assistants.

just add more medical doctors

bee med is literally braindead. More than five MDs is just dumb.
something something too many cooks in the kitchen

1 Like

5 MDs is fine as long as they don’t all try to heal the same person at once.

bruh. Highest pop, medbay will have 2/3 chemists, 2 geneticists, a CMO, 5 medical doctors, and like 3 paramedics
and you think adding more is a good idea?

1 Like

I am honestly amazed by @michiru2’s train of thought here, its so absurd

3 Likes