BlueScope's Second Trial Administrator Application

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): BlueScope (Primary), throwaway9114 (Unused)

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): Pyramid_Scheme. Lost my password, and it’s a trial to let a Password recovery utility past my firewall, and other security software. It’s been ages since I’ve been on the Discord, so a return is probably in order even if this is denied. Worst case scenario, I’ll just make another Discord.

How often are you online to play/admin? (Timezone): I am available most week days and times during those days, my timezone is EST.

What changes, if any, would you bring?:

• Roleplay Enforcement, mostly on Sage
  • Examination of Coding team coordination logistics, and discussing potential improvements
  • Examination of the Wiki, and discussing potential improvements
  • Major contributions to the Wiki
  • Examination of the Forum, and discussing potential improvements
  • Improving Staff discussion transparency

How old are you?: I am 26 years old.

Why do you want to be an admin?: I like BeeStation, and want to help improve it. I have the time necessary to volunteer.

How long have you been playing SS13?: More than seven years, I believe.

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: A few months now.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: About an 8 to a 9. There’s always more to learn, but I know most positions intimately, including a wealth of knowledge regarding code mechanics. My weakest point is probably Command, if only because herding cats is difficult when they haven’t consistently been expected to be herded.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?: In terms of familiarity with the technical aspects of the administrator panel, about a 7. It’s been a few months since my last stint. In terms of general attitude, rule knowledge, and my ability to actively assist players - a 9, easily. Again - there is always room for improvement.

Have you ever been an admin on another server? This is not limited to SS13: Over the years, many. I’ve administrated on quite a few roleplaying servers across various games. For Space Station 13, I endured the harrowing trial of being an administrator on Hippie Station for a few months, abandoning my post when I felt that the constant strain was impacting my ability to interact with players in a positive manner. Most recently I did administration work on Crashpoint, a few months ago.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: My unused CKEY was generated after I temporarily lost the password to my main account, years ago.

Your strengths:

• Gentleness in approaching players via boinks
  • Intimate, deep knowledge of the code
  • Intrinsic desire to improve the community, and game
  • Fierce dedication to fairness, and logical rules
  • Flexibility in changing my perspective if presented with appropriate reasoning

Your weaknesses:

• Burnout. I’d likely need to take semi-frequent breaks to ensure my continued best efforts as an administrator
  • I’d likely fumble open wounds regarding rules that I don’t find fair, or logical. If there is logic behind their existence, I’d happily change my perspective. If something is simply a matter of towing the company line, I’m also happy to tow away - though I do think some rules could use revisiting, at the very least
  • Initially hesitant in making judgments regarding situations that the rules don’t cover. I’d likely shake this off with a little initial hand-holding.
  • I type a lot (too much). Not in boinks, though.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: Nothing. My venting slowly releases itself as frustration, and hyperbole.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Knowledge of the rules. Without that, one cannot enforce the rules. If one cannot enforce the rules, one cannot be an effective member of the administration staff.

What makes a staff team good?: Communication, above all other things. In order to maintain a stable population as a server, evolution of rules and code is absolutely necessary. Administrators should always be able to tell Coders commonly requested features, priority bugs, and so on. More than that, inter-administrator dialogue is vital for maintaining collective sanity, clarifying rules, etc.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: The purpose of the staff is to deliver a positive experience to every player who joins the server with the honest intentions of playing as the rules prescribe. Every facet of the staff should be in pursuit of this overarching goal.

What kind of player are you?: I’ve been many kinds of player over the years. My SS13 career started on Aurora, where I hugely enjoyed the heavy roleplaying elements. A couple years after that, Hippie was my primary station - with all the low-RP shenanigans that entails. Most recently, Bad Deathclaw/Gulch was a favorite - for an excellent mix of combat and RP (I was sad to see it go and replaced by the hugely inferior Desert Rose). My play style bends to the rules and expectations of the server I am currently playing. All that said, my style is a product of my both enjoying action, and roleplaying.
On Bee, I’ve played almost entirely on Sage. I favor roles that require a degree of technical literacy to get the most out of them, or rely heavily on roleplaying (no idea how I managed to rack up some much time as an Assistant :thinking: ).
The characters I play most often, that people would likely be most familiar with, are Boris Vladof and Maria Petrova.

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: I won’t change, or will do my best not to, and I think that’s rather the point. If you’re not walking in the door with your head on straight, you don’t belong on staff.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?: It depends. If there was some kind of IC escalation, nothing. If the Clown did this out of the blue, I’d probably examine what kind of note/ban would be worth giving him on the basis of a Rule 3/5/14 violation, depending on the situation and note/ban history. If this was the first instance of similar behavior, very likely just a note and finger-waving. I’m making careful study of the Ban page, to learn what the usual length of applied bans are. That’s something I’d also gain with Trial experience.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?: I believe that the key to an effective resolution of a rule violation is being polite, clear, and direct. I would begin by confirming that the player in question really did do what is described above, before contacting them. Following that, I would ask them why they were doing it, to ensure that there are no mitigating circumstances (though, in this case - unlikely). If the person in question was unable to provide a reasonable answer, I would apply a ban of appropriate severity, based on precedents that I’d pick up while Trialing/study of the Ban page, and the number of notes in that player’s file.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?: Nothing. There is no rule against being unfamiliar with a job - just being deliberately incompetent. If he or another party submitted an ahelp, I would direct the Chemist to the appropriate guide on the wiki. If it happened more than once, I’d likely apply a job ban.

Additional: My second attempt, now that I’ve been playing for a while. I was dedicated to another project, but as there hasn’t been a single PR for it on the github since I lost my Discord password, I feel safe in abandoning it for the moment.
I’ve authored a couple hugely extensive guides, and plan on making more - possibly putting them on the wiki as an update - when I learn what the situation with the wiki currently is.
Even without my Discord, I’ve been consistently active on the forum.
I was recently advised by another member of the staff to submit an application - due to my almost non-existent notes and bans.
If this is denied on the grounds of Staff not being familiar enough with me, again - I won’t hold a grudge. I’ll reformat and resubmit as a Mentor application, and get my Discord back up. I don’t think that should be necessary, given that I’ve made who I am and what I’m about pretty clear both on the server, and on the forum.
My eventual intentions are to aspire to a Head Admin/Council role, if the upper management find my contributions to staff discussion to be in line with their vision of what the server should be. I favor player freedom, roleplaying to the degree expected by Sage/Golden, rule enforcement, rational discussion, and honesty.
I would not be an administrator who would be happy to take things as they come, and would be constantly challenging and questioning whether a course of action is the best one, if I had sound objections - which make this application a somewhat risky one for staff to accept. That said, there’s no point in arguing something for argument’s sake.
Finally, if there are incidents of concern, or any questions at all - I am more than pleased to answer them. Be brutally honest, and make your questions as pointed as you like.

EDIT: Elaborated regarding me challenging standing rules.

EDIT 2: Spelling/Grammar. Included most-played characters in “What kind of a player are you?”.

EDIT 3: More Spelling/Grammer. In the spirit of honesty - stated my eventual goals as a member of the staff. If one is jumping into something, one should jump in with both feet. That should do it! Looking forward to seeing some feedback.

I like your answers, but you missed the trick question regarding the clown spacing the HoS gun, if an antag has the gun as their objective, you should respawn the gun in the HoS locker.
Other than that I really like this application so I’m gonna start it off with a +1 :smile:

T: +1

Fuck, and here I was thinking that question was vaguely worded. Got me, time to commit suduko. Cheers mate.
Wait - what? Nothing in that question specifying the clown is an antag. Obviously the HoS’s gun can be an objective, but… meh.
Oh. I see what you mean. Fair point. Might be nice to update the question to be less ambiguous, and specify the HoS’s unique gun.
5:30, time to pass out before I become even more illterate/incomprehensible

2 Likes

Hello, it’s nice to see you submit your application again, I have a few questions and notes regarding your answers.

Roleplay Enforcement, mostly on Sage

How would you do that?

What would you do if the disconnected before or during ahelp?

Mistakes happens and as long as this is not harming anyone, and it’s not an act of an grief I wouldn’t issue a ban here, at most a note.

There is many factors that you have to consider while applying a ban. Every similar looking situation can have 2 different kinds of punishments. Probably the best would be if you took ban page as a suggestion not a defining factor.

For the ending statement, application seems promising. I am looking forward to see your answers. And maybe some Admins can give you additional questions.

This is the only point I have major issue with - If you disagree with something you should voice it, but if we can expect you to rally players when decision you disagree with passes, it’s just going to be a headache working with you. Not every decision is going to be something you agree with and that doesn’t mean it’s illogical.

Here’s a handful of Questions:

1) You notice a player running around the station with two bags of holding, one in each hand. You check their panel and this is their first connection to the server and their account was created today. They haven’t said a word since connecting.
What, if anything, do you do in this situation?

2) A player opens an ahelp to complain about someone bypassing the filter to insult lizards with the now blocked word: L■■■■■■. A senior admin marks the ticket as IC.
Do you take any action?

3) MRP Green Alert - A player opens a ticket to complain about a lone chemist powergaming by making grenades in chemistry. Plumbing has been set up to produce Synthflesh for cloning and the medical cabinet is stocked with a few assorted medical supplies to treat what Synthflesh can’t.

How do you respond when:

• The chemist claims they’re just for self defense in case he gets attacked
  • The chemist claims he wants to test different types of grenades off-station and has nothing else to do
  • The chemist claims security asked for non-lethal grenades and they just have N2O + Smoke.
  • The chemist immediately blows themselves and the entire chemistry department up because your bwoink prevented them from stopping the heater before the meth exploded.

@Naevi

I’ll address your first question last.

What would you do if the disconnected before or during ahelp?

The usual. Perma with a note to explain on the forums/Discord.

Mistakes happens and as long as this is not harming anyone, and it’s not an act of an grief I wouldn’t issue a ban here, at most a note.

Not sure if you caught it, but I specified “if it happens more than once”. Yes, it’d be more appropriate to give them a note the second time, then probably a job ban after that.

There is many factors that you have to consider while applying a ban. Every similar looking situation can have 2 different kinds of punishments. Probably the best would be if you took ban page as a suggestion not a defining factor.

Mhm! I think it makes a good precedent reference. The reason why the games need administrators in the first place is the absurd variance in scenarios, where rules may or not be broken, and to a lesser or greater degree.

To start with, enforcing the RAW - rules as written. I plan on doing the vast, vast majority of my time on Sage. Let me point out some examples of rules that are never, ever enforced. I wouldn’t plan on being too terribly heavy handed, but the rules are the rules for a reason. By enforcing the below, Sage would become a drastically different, more MRP experience - while Golden can maintain it’s delicious zany freedom.

• Rule 4

Your character is a grown adult working on a research station for a major company. You are a professional. Act like it.

Netspeak (lol, wtf, brb, etc.) is not permitted in character (IC).

Use a lore-friendly name

Have knowledge of your role. If you are new to the game, we recommend playing on our main server instead.

Respect space law and standard operating procedures. Committing minor crimes is justifiable through roleplay, but major crimes should typically be avoided.

• Rule 13

Heads of Staff are held to higher standards than regular crewmembers. You are expected to be a competent person and competent at your job.

In addition, I’d start a discussion to have an addition made to Rule 13, which expands the definition of “doing your job as a Head” to directing staff, instead of just:

The Captain is not an Assistant with all-access.

But within the context of a single department.

• Rule 14

Assistants are expected to help around the station, not immediately rush all the supplies that aren’t nailed down or behind locked doors - Ask for whatever supplies you need from the department(s) you’re helping.

@Ruko

This is the only point I have major issue with - If you disagree with something you should voice it, but if we can expect you to rally players when decision you disagree with passes, it’s just going to be a headache working with you. Not every decision is going to be something you agree with and that doesn’t mean it’s illogical.

I’ve definitely have been guilty of that. I did try to emphasize above that I’m willing to go along with things that I don’t agree with, as long as they make sense (or even if they don’t, and it’s just flat out what the majority of staff have decided on).
One of the things I’d propose is that all new rules/rule changes are given a “trial period” - of say, a month. After that period, the staff would review the impact of the rule change.

1) You notice a player running around the station with two bags of holding, one in each hand. You check their panel and this is their first connection to the server and their account was created today. They haven’t said a word since connecting.
What, if anything, do you do in this situation?

Nothing. Punishment follows crime, it doesn’t precede it. I’d certainly keep an eye on them, though.

2) A player opens an ahelp to complain about someone bypassing the filter to insult lizards with the now blocked word: L■■■■■■. A senior admin marks the ticket as IC.
Do you take any action?

Yes, I immediately reopen the discussion with the person who opened the ahelp, and apologize on behalf of the staff for the hasty resolution. Then I boink the offender, and apply an appropriate note or punishment. Following the resolution of the situation, I’d open a discussion with the senior admin asking him why he marked it IC.
I see what you’re asking with this question, or - at least, I think I do. Disagreeing with a rule, and enforcing a rule, are two entirely different things. Yes - I’ve made it extremely apparent that I don’t agree with the changes to the filter. Yes, I will probably - eventually - bring up those concerns. No, the first thing I do when I pop into the admin chats will not be to demand a reversion.

3) MRP Green Alert - A player opens a ticket to complain about a lone chemist powergaming by making grenades in chemistry. Plumbing has been set up to produce Synthflesh for cloning and the medical cabinet is stocked with a few assorted medical supplies to treat what Synthflesh can’t.

((Adding “claims” to these questions muddies the water a shade, by the by.))

• The chemist claims they’re just for self defense in case he gets attacked

Not legit. Security handles defense of the station. There is no immediate concern or threat threat that would justify a last-ditch-effort to save one’s life.

• The chemist claims he wants to test different types of grenades off-station and has nothing else to do

Legit. Experimentation with Chemistry falls within the remit of a Chemist. They’ve done their job in providing medications, and should then be free to experiment. Though this would fall more under IC - they should probably seek authorization from the CMO first, and coordinate with the RD to utilize the Test Site.

• The chemist claims security asked for non-lethal grenades and they just have N2O + Smoke.

Legit. Chemists providing tools for other jobs to act more effectively is fine. Again, authorization from the CMO/HoS should probably be sought first, but that falls more under IC.

• The chemist immediately blows themselves and the entire chemistry department up because your bwoink prevented them from stopping the heater before the meth exploded.

If something bad happens directly because of an administrator (outside of events and the like), it’s an administrator’s job to fix it. Patch department, restore air, aheal Chemist. Drug creation is a minor crime, and thus falls under the banner of IC, so there’d be no need to boink them for making meth in the first place. Is this a different scenario, or does it have to do with grenades?

In the context of making meth grenades yes, not just ordinary meth

Pretty much the same response as if they had been making grenades for giggles, then. I’d still posit that since you specify it’s the administrator’s fault it blew up - it’d be their job to repair it.

EDIT: Discord should be back up tomorrow.

Okay, I’m not calling out the staff member who posted this in particular - but I think it neatly capsulizes a couple of my primary reasons for wanting to join the administration team.

I have no thoughts. idgaf about it either way. It’s the rules so I just do it. This is why I don’t run for headmin.

I’ve heard this over, and over, and over from staff. Yes, it’s fine to volunteer your time, and just go with the flow - there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. However, I know from experience that it’s extremely frustrating as a player to get this kind of answer to a question. I want to be a member of staff who can explain the reasons behind why things are the way they are. That’s part of what I mean when I state one of my goals as being staff discussion transparency.

155 views. 3 posts by people other than myself. I really would love some feedback, or good solid +/- votes. I’m still available to answer any questions, and address any concerns.

The CE on a revs round hides out in the supermatter and becomes Dr. Manhattan.
Assume all other heads are dead.
They then start walking the halls, and everyone within 10 meters of them immediately dies from the radiation. Rules broken, if any.

An assistant comes out of maintenance, flashes, cuffs, and then toolboxes your head until you are dead. They then decapitate you, cut out your brain, and then deep fry it.

You check, and they are not an antagonist and you have never interacted with them in the round up until that moment.

What should you do?

2 Likes

As far as the CE goes, I’m assuming that he knows what he’s doing by flooding the station with rads - in malice rather than ignorance. Off the top of my head, Rule 5 would probably be the one I’d cite first in his boink, as there is no way to target radiation, harming potentially innocent crew. Could also make an argument for Rule 13, since flooding the station with rads is fairly incompetent. Oh, and I’m also assuming this is on Sage, naturally.

Second one is a “trick” question. I submit an ahelp, or make a player report if there are no other staff around. Staff definitely should not address their own issues, or issues they’re involved with.

Thanks for posting by the way, Bloons. Besides Ruko, you’re probably the staff member I’ve interacted with most frequently on the forums. Was hoping you’d pop a couple questions for me!

1 is a bit weird. There’s some ruling about going scorched-earth tactics, but I like your reasoning.

2 is a trick question. You can investigate, but you aren’t allowed to take any sort of action against the player.

While I’m familiar with the expanded rules posted on the forum, I’d prefer to use the rules posted on the rules page as my primary toolset. They’re the ones that players see first, and most often. Strikes me as a touch shadey to boink based on rules not listed on the rule page. Bottom line though, if someone is being a dick, and crashing the round with no survivors in some new and inventive way, Rule 1 is a thing. I think Rule 1 covers a lot of the forum suplimental rules.
Oh, something else I’d like to accomplish as staff. Putting the rules on the rule page, the rules on the forum, and admin conduct all in one place. Really irritating how that vital, need to know information is split between 3 different sites.

1 Like

Answers look good and there is a lot of effort put in this app, I’ll give +2.

T: +3 because I think noone but yorii put a vote.

Your answers are good! But the way you seem to be aspiring to power makes me think you’re going to rock the boat.

Cautious +1

I fully intend to rock the boat, to be clear. In a good, productive, sane way though. I don’t intend to cause trouble for the sake of causing trouble. My overarching goal is to improve a pair of servers I really enjoy, in such a way that aligns with the upper management’s vision of what the servers should be. I’ve tried to be as absolutely clear regarding my goals, and the motivations behind those goals as I could be.
The long and short of it is - there are two kinds of administrators. Administrators that go with the flow, and just enforce rules - and those who actively participate in the discussion and evaluation of rules, the state of the server, and so on. I want to fall into that second category. If that’s not something the staff are interested in me contributing, I understand completely.

Update: Getting a hold of a reliable way to recover my Discord password has been impossible. I’m aboard for the moment, and will be for the next couple of days. I believe I have my Discord password on a flashdrive back home. I’d be perfectly able to admin with a trackpad, even if playing is rather difficult. If a requisite for the app to be accepted is a Discord conversation/interview (to ensure I’m not just a very sophisticated Russian bot), please do let me know.

EDIT: Oh, right. That’s how I racked up Assistant time. Exploring the ghetto/improvised sciences. Guide on that is on my list. Also, a circuit design for an automated ghetto meth maker.

Gonna hit it with another +1.

which makes it

T: +5

right?

I believe that is an accurate count, yes.