Beestation is not friendly to new players

To the contrary, It seems fairly clear that there’s a consensus already forming here, namely that trying to be the new player friendly server AND an RP server at the same time is working at cross-purposes.

It also seems that everyone agrees that the clear solution would be to look at the systemic issues encouraging LRP behaviour and address them with pro-RP rule changes and mechanical changes, rather than just throwing staff at the problem (a proven failure).

But I get the impression that the prevailing opinion from the development and maintenance staff is a sincere belief that players don’t know what they want ™ so I can see why it would benefit that narrative to say that these threads never amount to anything.

The fact that you’re only stepping in to respond to a response to the most unconstructive post in the thread speaks volumes.

2 Likes

I don’t mean to be rude in saying this, but I don’t think you’re grasping how an echo chamber works. You can’t call a small number of already frustrated individuals venting about multiple different gripes a consensus. Further still, the loudest of this group has been overshadowing the few which have tried to explain that they don’t view it as big of an issue as some are making it out to be.

To me, it looks and reads a lot like you’re projecting a lot of your personal gripes onto others.

This is what I’m talking about. You can’t even claim a majority of people agree to your claims, let alone everyone.

Almost none of these posts are constructive. It’s so easy to get swept up in the outrage that the central point gets lost. While none of your opinions and feelings are invalid, the means at which they’re conveyed makes it almost impossible to actually act on. In-fact, a number of the comments even imply a level of self awareness there.

As an aside, this actually gives me a chuckle. Implying that we’ve ever been in a situation where we weren’t severely short staffed. :ghost:

You realise that forums can be a resource for player feedback, not an inconvenience to be suffered, right?

I have posts like… Right there, agreeing with the consensus I just started and discussing these issues. Dr Phil, Ivan, taste, they are all posting things in line with what I’m saying. And if they don’t agree that what they say aligns with the consensus I built, then we can talk about it. Hold a forum, if you will…

I don’t know what the point of posting here even is at this point, I feel like the “plebs” (read: those that want to contribute to the future of the game in ways other than code, pixel art or janitorial duties) are ignored when it comes to decision making. Which, fair enough, it’s your call, but why have a forum in that case. Just do bacon’s git forum idea and scrap this place.

Consider that your staff supply/demand issue may be addressable from the demand side, rather than the supply side.

2 Likes

You realize that I’ve consistently pushed that narrative over years, right? There’s a difference between constructive feedback and echo chamber threads.

And that is what we in the trade call the, “micro scale.” not the, “everyone” you’re attempting to make it out as. Aslo, I’ve read the prior opinions and while some of them have points that do align with yours. That isn’t implying any form of major consensus. If all you care about is how people feel in this thread alone, and not how the greater community feels. Then sure, I suppose you can maintain your micro consensus.

Not even remotely true. From my perspective, your entire line of thinking comes from an over participation in these vent threads. Which, I’ve already stated are not as helpful nor as constructive as you seem to believe they are. A significant portion of our community explicitly disregards the forums because of these threads.

If you want real discourse I’m all for it. But so long as you and others trend towards threads of this nature, the current status quo will be unchanged.

Ah yes, because we certainly haven’t done admin drives and we never actively push people towards applying. We definitely haven’t made it clear that we have a staff shortage and would like more admins. No no no. We’ve definitely decided to let the issue fester and have made no effort to call it out.

Dang. Good catch.

5 Likes

That’s not what I mean by supply and demand.
Rather than working on getting more admins, maybe instead accept that you’re never going to have enough and change the game to not need them so much.

That’s what I meant by addressable from the demand side.

As for this post, at work, will reply more later if I feel like it.

Personally I’ve seen a fair amout of denied apps due to very minor or unclear reasons in the past. Such as one that was denied for “recent lack of activity” of just a few weeks. I get trying to secure good staff but if you have a clear shortage maybe it’s best to loosen up on if the person was active.

1 Like

So we should tackle staff shortage issues by accepting inactive people in essence.

That’s not addressing the problem from the demand side. That’s resigning to failure.

That… Feels like a clear reason? It’s not as though they’re prohibited from re-applying after re-upping their activity either.

Again we’re talking about being inactive for a couple weeks. Not months. :confused:

Couple weeks become months before you know it. If you are still sour about your denied mentor app, just know that you can reapp pretty much as soon as you’ve shown that you can be regularly active.

1 Like

The process to become staff here can take months to be accepted.
Which to me is kind of ironic that they get denied for lack of activity. That’s kind of what happens when there’s a storage of staff like that, it creates a lot of stalling. Look at some ban appeals for example taking months and months to be processed.

I’m not. I’m refering to mod and admins apps more than mentor apps because they’re a lot more important. So I don’t really see why that was brought up here.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re just overreacting to a in game conflict.
Since you know about game modes and nukies I assume you are not a new player. So why are you trying to make an argument that we’re unfriendly to new players?

Sounds like a problem that doesn’t lie in the game itself, which you have to solve yourself.

Changing the server back to LRP would result in it becoming even worse in some aspects than what Golden was due to the lack of admins… and golden was already really fucking bad, take off the nostalgia glasses already.

1 Like

Going back to LRP is not gonna happen since that does not align with out vison for the server.
This argument howver uh, is kinda bunk. Golden, at least towards the last year of its life, basicaly never had admins on it unless some were called over. Because 95% of admins (made up number of course) preferd sage and admind that instead. Add to that that even at real good days, golden would be sitting at maybe 30 or 40 players while sage sat at 70. So even more admins took sage.

Sure golden had some dedicated lrpmins but it was basicaly unadmind for long long streches of time unless someone was specifcaly called over.

Like crossed said, our lack of staff isnt new. (though there have been times in the past when it was slighly less awfull)

2 Likes

I’m talking like pre sage golden, when there definitely were admins on. Didn’t change it was pretty chaotic and every shift was 20 minutes regardless of what the game mode was. Once Sage started running i basically ignored Golden altogether because it, in my view, was just a containment server at that point.

Ah yea thats fair. Pre sage is an entirely diffrent beast.

I suspect only few people even soldily remember that time. Im making wild assumtions of course, but i suspect most people know or atleast refer to post sage golden when they speak of it.
But pre-sage is a diffrnet beast entirely for sure.

2 Likes