Beestation is not friendly to new players

Saying based is not LRP if your character would say based. Saying “cool” or “groovy” should also be bannable. People say based in real life. Seriously. It’s in the lexicon now. Deal with it.

This is a “it doesn’t happen in my life so it mustn’t exist” issue.

1 Like

Im gonna be honest chief i havent seen much of these elitist old playing command staff. Most old players who are command seem nice to me (maybe its because i joined a couple years ago) but i have still seen my fair share of shit command. I’d say report it like the other people in this thread. The one thing i cant stand is people abusing power for le epic round speedrun anypercent.

1 Like

Nya talk seems to be laxed enough now, if you say nya often enough. But, while nya is somewhat is the language of accursed cat people, based doesnt have any base (hah) on anything … yet. (Go write lore justifying based and bribe crossed to accept it)

I had a wonderful experience when I first joined SS13 back in like… March? And it was on this very server. Very nice people helped me out to learn various things, and even now that sentiment did not change.
I’m sorry you had to deal with powertripping new heads, I promise they’re not all like that. I’m sorry you didn’t have the same positive experience as me, and I can’t really say that I was lucky or anything. Like any community, there’s good sides to it as well as bad sides, and sometimes it might look like the bad side is all there is. But like other staff said, you need to report the bad sides of it immediately, a lot of people fail to realize that sadly.

9 Likes

Man its just a videogame

2 Likes

No, I won’t be “shocked” that you guys talk on discord about potential players and bans. There is no consistency in rules or rulings. One admin will say one thing, then enforce another.

3 Likes

Sometimes when you’re having a stressful day a game is the straw to break the camels back

8 Likes

Myself and many others in the Discord, and our community, have life going on outside of the game and quite a lot of us either work long hours at stressful jobs or just have other obligations such as coursework that take time out of our days. We come home, or get some freetime, and just wanna play some Spessman, maybe roleplay a bit, and have some fun, right? It sucks to just… Kinda get shit on, even if it’s in a game that’s what, 19 years old at this point?

I am completely empathetic to this, and I’ve had great difficulty coming home and wanting to play sometimes since that could just be a killshot on the end of my day; on top of everything else I’ve got going on. Sometimes just a bit of Dchat salt or complaining, as minor as that can be on some days, could just be the little cherry on a lame day that just pops it. (as @taste_of_a_liar stated) I’m not blameless in this either, I get upset too (as people know by how much I don’t like being converted into antag stuff, even if that is the game and I accept it)

I’m kinda… taking a break myself, since even with my complete love for much of the community and people I speak with in the discord, I was just getting more and more upset at the game every single round and just dreading certain things, and it became a self-eating cycle. I’m playing on quieter servers that, honestly, don’t really have much happen on them most rounds unless you seek it out and it’s kinda been calming for me for the time being.

Is this a big cringe post that someone can laugh at? Sure, I guess, I don’t really care. What do I have to lose emotionally posting about a damn atmospheric simulator that became a backstabbing simulator?
Despite sometimes having a couple dumb altercations with people, I really care for everyone in the community; everyone has been very understanding to me, at least the names I recognize most of the time, and has been incredibly patient with me.

At the end of the day, all we can do is be the example we wanna see in the community and report what doesn’t click with those principals, and do our best to steer people in the right direction. A game like this is the community. Take a break, play some other games, go relax. We’ll be here for you when you feel better.

Cringe wall of text over, yeah.

10 Likes

Oh boy, trying to put thoughts on digital paper about all this is not my forte, but here’s an attempt.

I do think Bee is trying to cast a very wide net when it comes to its community without having anything that really sets it apart as a server worth playing and a lot of this comes down to administration, but I won’t point fingers at anyone specifically since I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes. You have a mixture of entirely new players attracted by the beginner-friendly moniker of the station, 0RP TG and Golden rejects, people who specifically want something higher RP than TG and the occasional MRP+ person. This leads to spotty rule enforcement that has no clear vision behind it and just gives the impression of an LRP server with the absolute thinnest coat of MRP paint on top that gets scratched off if you look at it too hard.

I was absolutely lucky to run into a bunch of people who were really good at RP back when I started, and it opened my eyes to the fact that there’s more than LRP bulshittery to this game. I think back on that moment a lot, and how things would’ve turned out if I didn’t meet those people and it makes me realize how much of an impact even one person trying to make the round enjoyable for others can make. I could write entire paragraphs about this point alone, BUT…

I also don’t think this should be the responsibility of players to deal with and I don’t blame anyone for bailing to any other server after the millions instance of abuse or LRP griefing they encounter. Reporting those people helps but, as others pointed out, if you just wanna join and do a few relaxing rounds, playing LRP police on the side is not something that should be expected of players when it’s easier and more enjoyable to just fuck off and play on Skyrat, Shiptest, Aurora or any other server with more control over the experience. In the end, we all have lives behind the characters and it seems like more often than not people forget that fact and offer no consideration for their fellow players.

As for solutions? It’s easy to say “Just tighten the rules, ban half the people and enforce a clear idea of who the server is for” but I know that’s not easy to do and brings with it a host of other issues. I’m aware it’s not fun playing in a super restrictive environment and I love seeing people goofing off on Bee, rallying people around gimmicks (even if they are LRP in nature) and generally having fun, the biggest issue being when those gimmicks and behaviours are entirely self-serving and ruin the experience for others which I see more than enough on a daily basis.

After all this rambling though, I’m still here, more for the sake of the good players that deserve encouragement and in spite of the server’s frankly deplorable quality. I know it can be better and I want to see it do better but as I’ve seen little to no improvements in community quality and rules enforcement in the over 2000 hours I’ve played on here, I’m starting to doubt my own words.

10 Likes

Just throw more admins at the problem, that’ll work, right, guys?

This game of whack-a-mole is neverending.

2 Likes

I mean a majority of the problematic players seem to only play when there are no admins online, and vanish if one gets on or goes on their best behavior until they leave.

Oh boy, another drama thread.

2 Likes

Be me, Player who started in 2021, shortly before the shutdown of golden, initially used to only go to golden for lax LRP setting to get a handle on what the game is like.

Be me again, after 6 month break, late 2021, new laptop, come back, golden is gone.

Mild distress.

Don’t want to step on too many toes, one partial round on sage, four rounds on acacia to get an idea of sage, the other to fuck around on acacia, because no one gives a damn about the greytide issue on acacia.

Afew rounds of screwing around, finally confident to que onto sage.
loadcat
Damn, this is the fix I was looking for.

Me now : 440 hours regular Bee player.

Fucking well said. VERY well said. This entire post is dead on.

I personally believe we have enough “stick” and not enough “carrot” for RP at the moment. A lack of backstory support for character slots, unreasonable punishments for stuff like that moth character that got name banned, when the name change was entirely due to in-game character development (which is the highest form of roleplay!) and past refusal to accept that oozes might develop new personality traits or decide to go by different names over the course of the rounds.

Essentially storytelling requires change to be compelling. The circumstances aren’t going to change, so the characters and setting beyond the station needs to be developed.

4 Likes

What a miserable thing to say.
You may find it surprising, but there are some people that care about the server we all spend hours of our free time on, and want it to be the best it can be.

Maybe instead of acting like a haughty asshole you could engage in the discussion, or, if you don’t have anything of value to add, you could hold the condescension for once and let a consensus form without sarcastic commentary.

4 Likes

Not to turn this into a ‘hehe naming guidelines bad’ thread but this is part of the reason why I simply do not play some of my characters anymore. Although the names are fine-sounding and fit the races, my characters Viasol Hargrove (moth) and Onsager XIII (plasmaman) would probably get me bwoinked if I played them more often. Onsager XIII, although chemistry related and fitting to his backstory (His name used to be Lars Calloway, and Onsager comes from the chemist Lars Onsager) it might get bwoinked for not being a chemical despite the backstory reasons.

Viasol is self explanatory if you’re aware of the guidelines for moths, she also has backstory reasons for her name but I’m not gonna go into detail atm

Mo admins mo problems.
Systemic issues need systemic solutions, not more Jannies.
But tbh I think we agree on this, judging from your tone.

1 Like

See that reads as MRP, if not HRP

1 Like

Pretty much yeah

This is a salt/vent thread. There is no possible way for an actual consensus to form. The only thing that happens in these threads is that they turn into echo chambers of negativity and perpetuate/normalize the exact narrative you’re shouting against.

There are far more constructive ways to actually get a consensus on issues or to work with server staff on solving some of these apparent problems.

4 Likes