Bee's naming guidelines suck, and don't improve RP

That’s, again, your opinion and an opinion shared by some members of the community; but not everyone. I wont expend more time belaboring the point, especially if you aren’t going to listen to me.

If a rule consistently requires individuals to change a key element of their character time and time again, months after they have established themselves, then I feel as though the rule itself is inherently an issue. Especially when it is used primarily to target those who hold an actual interest in roleplay on the server. I do not see any issue with a moth named Cordswitch Bos, and when you consider that this was a prior established character with an actual purpose and backstory to their name, it really feels as if this proves that the naming policy is prioritizing roleplay consistency over roleplay quality. And consistency… is boring!! A name like that hurts no-one at all and provides value to a character’s backstory and premise. Acting like these cultures NEVER interact, NEVER share their own values, is inherently a flawed viewpoint. Beestation barely has any lore to begin with, forcing characters to comply to a strict culture-based system that…virtually doesn’t exist, not to mention isn’t realistic in-universe to begin with, feels strictly against the ‘roleplay’ nature this server is attempting to achieve.

I’m at least happy that feedback is being heard at all, and I hope that any of these complaints are considered in any significant capacity. I really, really want this server to thrive, and I feel as though giving more room for roleplay will greatly help this server reach the standards it’s trying to hit.

2 Likes

See, that’s the core issue I see. The problem wasn’t inherently with the rule, but with enforcement.

Don’t get me wrong, I do not think the guidelines are perfect under any measure. There is a lot of room for improvement, and they probably should see more attention sooner than later.

1 Like

I appreciate getting a response however this only brings more questions than answers.

What made the name invalid to begin with?

How was this the case? When two admins at two different times accepted that the name was valid.

we can both agree on that, I however don’t agree that this is fair treatment on Cords.
I don’t want to call others out but you do have regulars that don’t follow the stick guildelines exactly either, are they expect to lose their characters too?

3 Likes

It doesn’t follow the guideline. I’m not sure what you’re asking. Their name was not a (pseudo) Latin species name, nor was it a single word object or event. Cordswitch on its own would have been fine. The two names are what makes it invalid in this specific instance.

Both of the admins I spoke with agreed that the name didn’t abide by guidelines, but they wanted to give it a pass anyways. They did not accept the name as valid and they went against standard policy to grant them a special exception that we have not granted anyone else.

Under current policy, if they do not have names that abide by the guidelines, yes they will be required to change if they are seen or reported.

Legitimate question. What is the point of keeping this policy?
What is there to gain from upholding it? This isn’t bait. I want to know. Because I honestly can’t figure out why having 3 extra letters to the name Cordswitch suddenly makes it invalid because of a space.

I strongly disagree. The enforcement was the main thing handled properly in this instance I feel, at least up until now. Up until this happened, it was realized that this name was properly befitting the character given their backstory and in-game events. Rule 0 is a rule for a reason; admin discretion should be used to consider whether or not people should be allowed to break rules in order to improve the roleplay experience. And in this case, the admin overseeing it decided that it made much more sense for Cordswitch to keep the name that he had properly roleplayed out recieving rather than switching to a generic moth name, something that just doesn’t quite make sense in character for someone to do. Why would someone who had been forcibly placed into a mothic form completely discard their old name and identity because of it? I feel the admins handling this had entirely valid reasons to give a pass here.

2 Likes

We do not grant lasting exceptions for these issues. Period. That is not something we have ever done and it’s not something we will ever do. That is not what rule zero is for, despite your claims to the effect.

If I’m understanding you correctly, you are arguing that it was consistent in this case since two admins ruled in favor for the name to be granted a pass. I strongly argue that it’s inconsistent as we have a set standard for how this is intended to be handled and have acted accordingly against many players in the past. It is not only unfair, but it sets a bad precedent for playing favorites and is inconsistent with all of our past judgements.

I should add that the second ruling was favorable in-part due to the original admin’s “free pass.” It was not a clean ruling.

Crossedfall be like “The naming policy is holy and should not have any exceptions or be changed because it is clearly perfect.”

And then tell the lore team to contribute to common core because that was a decision, and then when told common core fucking sucks, responds with “Suffer, I don’t really care.”

The rule restricts creativity, which is the foundation of fun RP. If you would still be banning people named GAMER MAN, which is clearly the objective, what’s the point?

5 Likes

It’s him and his headmin’s opinion vs the community’s opinion

4 Likes

This is accurate.
I’ve been told to swap my primary IC twice now.

long rant

Orginally me moth’s name was “Kerlin Lunit”, of course Kerlin is a “given human name” but I leaned into moon jokes and butchered “Lunatic” for Lunit.
I got the bwoinky shortly after the naming guidelines came into effect.
My understanding at the time was “oh you need to have two parts latin in your name” so I swapped out “Lunit” while still leaning into Moon jokes and a light joke with “Lunae Lumen” as middle and last name, translating roughly to “Moon light” or “Light of the moon”
it was just this week when I got bwoinked again. Turns out Moth naming conventions are :

• named after a single object name, preferably in latin.

or

• a latin name in the same convention as scientific names for animals (Ie Filinae Felis, Canidae Canis, Homo sapien)

to come into compliance with this, I’ve finally come to the furthest departure that is in line with the second option and swapped out “Kerlin” and comletely axed “lunae” for “Kalavi Lumen” roughly translating to “Proclaim Light” or perhaps more amusingly "Proclaim LAMP.

I’ve taken the time out of my day to get into character and immerse myself, associating my SS13 experience with the “Kerlin” character, and now admins pull up as fun-police and say “name bad” when there are bigger carps to spess fry.

Funny thing is, In lore these names are total fabrication aliases, as the mothfolk are very protective of their “true” name for spiritual reasons, some even going as far as to entirely forget it for the sake of “protecting their [true self/soul]”, additionally they saw NT as a massive uncaring mega-corporation and thought “man lets stick it to beurocrats for fun”

Going by this logic, that in lore the names of mothfolk are both technically false identities and or new names adopted for spiritual protection reasons and trolling, why it has to be so particular in said conventions seems silly to me.

TLDR : Moths are using joke false aliases, based on latin language for spiritual reasons and to troll NT’s paper shufflers.

3 Likes

TL:DR You can quote the lore that crossed okayed to justify any moth name you like, and they’ll still insist on naming policy.

3 Likes

who’s the lore master around here anyways? Maybe I should gun for the position.
Given all the item descriptions and random trivia I’ve written to accompany my voxel models, maybe I could give them a run for their money.

Unfortunately, I dibsed that position a while back, or I would’ve if Crossed hadn’t refused to pick a person out of us “not needing lore”
It’s not that we can’t get lore because we can’t be bothered.
We can’t have good lore because crossed has decided for us that we don’t need it.

1 Like

we’ll just have to enjoy my sweet sweet item and mech discriptions as they are, sweet sweet flavor text treats

If you are in the lore channel, any contribution is very appreciated!!
It’s just a handful (literally) of people in there, so I’d be very thankful if anyone decided to start contributing!!
@RDS88 @JOYK1LLZ

1 Like

Just play human with a normal human name lol, it’s that easy

3 Likes

to be honest, we certainly aren’t going to just throw naming guidelines out of the window but I do think some more races need more than 1 naming conventions

3 Likes

what is this god forsaken heresy

1 Like

And to also add it’s… interesting that we’re constantly getting pointed towards the ‘‘lore’’ as if it was something sacred that has been polished by God’s hand when in reality other posts that tried to discuss an overhaul/addition to lore they were shutdown everytime with ''We don’t really need an expanded lore, we just need the minimum, the idea is for players to be creative and gimmicky, having a very strict lore would make it limited for the players! if you really want the ‘‘official lore’’ please use this Link that led to to a super generic ss13 lore that’s not even in the wiki I’ll probably need to search for the thread, but the lore link was given by Crossed itself.

Makes me think that the lore is almost used as an excuse at this point to avoid looking at the flaws that have been present and led to this type of thread and discussions multiple times.

Anyway i’ll be hoping that changes get made, because this is the third time a liked and roleplayer player has been affected by the policy, in my opinion, A lot of the people who posted in defense of Cord wether on this thread or discord are the ones that roleplay, do different gimmicks, are friendly, etc if we suddenly lost all of them for these type of things we would only be left with the people who bait-post in general and are banned in the discord lol.

Naming guidelines are fine, as we all said above we don’t want a ‘‘GRIEFER MAN THREE’’ arriving at the station i think this would all be prevented if we had exceptions, if you have someone like Cord who has Roleplay reasons to have a name like that and has shown to be a player that is a ‘‘model’’ then i wouldn’t see why the hell not, we shouldn’t be pointing the finger at the people who actually cares to polish their character and shows attachment

And if random tider named JOHN SMITH ahelps saying ‘‘YOOO appareance b-ban he, look at his mothname!!! why can’t i be Gandalf Starbucks XVIII as a human but he can!!!’’ it’s as easy as to tell that he’s earned himself an exception by demonstrating proper roleplaying, following community rules and making everyone have a good time whenever they’re around.

If we got people who also plays on SkyRat coming over to say that their guidelines are more flex than ours, when they’re a mrp-hrp then surely we must be doing good and we must not have issues :clueless:

4 Likes