Bee's naming guidelines suck, and don't improve RP

Wow that actually legitimately fucking sucks. Goddamn this server’s stupid naming rules.

5 Likes

Yep, those look like fun and amazing memories. I may have not been present in any of those, but I do enjoy the rounds I had next to you. And I’m sure many others do too. I’m sure they appreciated your efforts more so.

And on that note, here’s one moment from me!
unknown-52
unknown-65

We may not have been a ‘trio’ of sorts, but I did feel special in that round. Both IC and out. You, the passionate Italian moff, and me just tagging along being there near the end.

Anyway, I understand. If you need to take a break, then please do. Take as long as you need, no matter what that could be. Self-care, and all. Take Care and Good Luck to what you may be up to instead!

6 Likes

Heh, that’s Mai, I’m the bartender. That was a fun moment for me, too. You’re a funky moth with beautiful wings!

That’s always the goal, I may have a metagang but we never exclude people from joining in our huddle. :slight_smile:

Thanks again, I’m gonna get through this eventually.

5 Likes

You ruin everything let them have their name

7 Likes

Heh, that’s Mai, I’m the bartender. That was a fun moment for me, too. You’re a funky moth with beautiful wings!

Oh, thank you! Didn’t think I gave off any special vibe, honestly. Besides socially anxious moff. Glad I did have some sort of impression! And yeah, I never have seen anyone else running Deathshead wings.

That’s always the goal, I may have a metagang but we never exclude people from joining in our huddle. :slight_smile:

Heh, yeah. Moth solidarity, and all.

Thanks again, I’m gonna get through this eventually.

And I do hope you do. Like I said, take all the time you need. You come first.

4 Likes

I got nothing to add that I didn’t in the last thread Syrox linked except fuck the naming guidelines and the people deluding themselves into thinking that this of all things is keeping Bee from spiraling even further into LRP territory than it already is.

In fact, even if that were the case, it would just prove that there’s a much more fundamental issue with the community that isn’t addressed which led to this point in the first place.

8 Likes

Janitor moths always leave an impression!!!

Not just moths, we’ve got quite the catalogue!

:heart:

4 Likes

Tbf I liked cordswitch because a. They ahelped ingame asking for approval and b. The events that caused them to do that were actually played out inround, and not handwavey “yeah it totally happened”. Doesn’t matter tho bc headmins overrule me, so my two cents are worthless.

16 Likes

Thanks for letting him stay for as long as you did, I appreciate it still. Remember that Kilo round fondly!

9 Likes

I think it’s very fair to say that this whole post was in response to Cordswitch Bos’ name suddenly not being allowed.

I can’t say nearly enough nice things about the character here or ValuedEmployee, they’re a shining part of the commuinty and one of the nicest person I’ve meet on bee.
It sort of shock for me to realise that I’ve watch them go from CBOS to Cordswitch. I’m going to miss seeing them. It’s frankly not going to be the same with out Cords around. :frowning:

What frustrates me the most about this is that his name is perfectly fine as a moth name. In fact, it was okay’d twice by admins so why was it suddenly not allowed? Especially after it being months without any issues.

Also, shame on them for making him kill off his kind moth man character.

8 Likes

Just a general “No stupid or shitty names, keep them in line with your character” type rule would work but nooooo, hurr durr you must follow what our non-existent lore says! I don’t care if you have a valid RP reason!

At this point it just feels like an excuse for admins to bwoink the players they don’t like for their names

15 Likes

Honestly, i’ve always had a resentment for the guidelines but finding out about Cords being pissed on by it recently is what made me make the post.

Cordswitch Bos is a great moff name, has lots of backstory behind it that isn’t just handwavey stuff cause it all happend in-game, etc. So the fact that they’re basically gone now is complete bullshit.

3 Likes

My personal one was Sodium Pentothal does not follow plasmaman naming criteria. Really killed my whole plasma det gimmick and wanting to be plasma man in general

7 Likes

This one also pissed me off, that should be an allowed plasmaman name and the fact that it wasn’t is stupid

4 Likes

I mean this with no disrespect towards anyone, but the name wasn’t without issues nor was it a valid moth name. To add, it had been reported, more than once. It was improperly granted a pass which ultimately had to be revoked and the rules had to be enforced just as they should be for everyone else. This isn’t any different to past statics that were forced to change their names.

With that being said, this is entirely a failing on our part. Probably not for the reason some of you think; but, more-so due to our lacking consistency than anything else. The name should have been changed far before it could have gotten to the point where it did, and we shouldn’t have ever told them that they were an exception to the rules (that’s not a thing we’ve ever done). For that, I’m personally sorry to @ValuedEmployee. They did not deserve to have been toyed with like that, and for that I have to accept our failings. I wont make excuses for this, nor can I promise that it’ll be something I can entirely fix. But, it is at least something I can commit to improving.

As for the feedback, it’s been heard. This is something that requires a far larger discussion internally and there wont be any changes that happen overnight. I expect this will probably be one of our primary topics during our next staff meeting, and will likely be an ongoing topic from there.

3 Likes

There comes a breaking point for me where naming guidelines have been handled faster and stricter than any secoff breaking rules I’ve seen.
And seeing how the shit guidelines have legitimately made wonderful roleplayers leave in replacement for lrp players from tg who don’t give a shit about their name really makes me sad.
Honestly don’t know how long I’m gonna personally stay on beestation, since they seem to care more about character names than making sure the community is happy and having legitimate fun.

1 Like

You have a valid issue, but I would strongly urge you to stop conflating these two issues. It does nothing but make your argument weaker.

This wasn’t a rapid handling, by any means, and there is no comparison between handling security officer issues and names. But, even for in-round issues, one requires a quick ticket and no investigation, the other requires a lot of monitoring and processing.

Maybe I’m crazy but perhaps there shouldn’t BE ticketing or having ANY focus on names beyond obvious meme ones when there is so much more energy that is required to handle legitimate problems like the one i just mentioned?

That’s your opinion. But, again, you’re conflating problems and desperately trying to use this to push another agenda which does nothing but weaken the arguments for both issues.

Like. If you’re struggling to monitor and process the real issues going on in this server why divert some of that staff work to stuff that just legit only makes community members leave out of frustration and sadness?
No one likes the naming convention rules as they are. Why bother forcing it when it takes more energy to when said energy can be put into more useful things?