I’m away from my computer for a week and so cannot code this idea yet, but I want feedback and ideas branching off of it. I plan to expand the current R&D system with a sub-department known as the Away Team.
The Basic Idea:
A large, semi-randomly generated abandoned space station is created on a separate Z-level roundstart. The away team is sent by the science department to investigate it and see what they can salvage for materials and technology. The team would have to use a mixture of engineering skill and combat prowess to make it past all of the obstacles and hostile mobs on board to track down and locate goodies for R&D to reverse engineer.
Away Team Crew:
- Has basic research department and cargo access.
- Is equipped with engineering equipment, some medical supplies and a special rifle that does very low damage, but does far more to the unique mobs in the station.
- Tasked with opening up and clearing the station of mobs.
Away Team Salvager:
- Has access to R&D but not cargo.
- Is equipped with a scanner that can be used to detect special data disks. These disks can be broken down with a destructive analyser to gain unique technologies.
- Tasked with finding the data disks as well as things like special equipment on the station to be taken back and put in the destructive analyser to be reverse engineered.
Away Team Leader:
- Has the combined access of both the previous jobs, plus limited sec access.
- Semi head of staff, protected from antag roll.
- Leads the team and acts as sec within the team to protect them from antagonists.
The big questions I have are:
1: Should this be a sub-department of research or a full department in its own right?
2: Should the ATC and ATS be separate roles?
3: Should the ATL be a protected role with limited sec access or just the leader?
4: I have absolutely no mob ideas. Any you have would be great, as would any item ideas.