Adminless rounds

I noticed that recently there are a lot of adminless rounds, because admins prefer to play rather than to admin. Can anyone tell me why?

Now admin comes at the end of the round, forces everyone into fortnite and resolves tickets, why? Can we stop it and make it as it used to be 6 months ago?

3 Likes

Gonna lean out of the window a bit and say this is atleast partialy caused by admining while playing now being dissalowed

2 Likes

You know, sometimes admins want to play too

4 Likes

Yeah I know and I understand that, but don’t you sometimes want to play and admin?

So uh, with little to no admins, are we planning a another great admin drive?

1 Like

Unfortunately its currently part of the policy that being admined during a round you’re playing in is bad, not exactly disallowed but highly frowned apon (as far as I know)
As such, most admins get forced to de-admin via configs when they’re playing.

Unfortunately this usually results in either 1 admin online, or none that arent de-admined during the round.
I dont play much, just to keep an eye on things but I’ve recently started to play and it will auto-de-admin me when I play, and if there arent any admins shown as online I usually re-admin, even if its frowned apon.

The issue is the possibilty to metagame/use meta knowlege, gained as admin, either conciously or subconciously, during the round. Which is why being Admined during playing is frowned apon. Most admins wont risk getting told off for possible meta and demoted for breaking the rules.

Say for instance, you’re a head of staff, you re-admin as there isnt anyone else online.
You get a ticket about a guy getting beaten to death for seemingly no reason, so you go to the killers player panel, check if they are an antag, and they are. Then you check their objectives and lo and behold, you’re on their objectives list as a kill target.

You finish dealing with the ticket, and now, you might subconciously be more wary for the rest of the round, keeping an eye out for that specific person even if you dont actually mean to metagame.

We really need either shifts or something, or if an admin wants to play, make sure theres someone online that can cover tickets while they play.

The issue isnt lack of admins, its lack of admins taking care not to leave the server “adminless” when they play really.

All of this is my personal opinion on things though

1 Like

Bruh but that’s literally why there are apps and not everyone is an admin. I really doubt that admins not being able to play while adminned is due to metaknowledge, because we’ve got a lot more mentors who have similar access to metaknowledge yet are able to play as any role.

From what I heard it was done in order to stop admins from burning up, and I can’t really belive it works, so, can we get anything from a headmin or someone who voted on this shit?

2 Likes

Mentors only see a username, and only when that player specifically asks for help.
Admins see a lot, even when they don’t want to.

Policy Citation: Admin Policy & Conduct - BeeStation Wiki

Playing the game

• When in-game as a player, you are required to de-admin.
    • If you are the only admin on and wish to play, you will still be required to de-admin.
  • Inform the other admins online if you are going to de-admin in order to play. This rule is simple common courtesy to keep the admin team informed and coordinated. While not heavily enforced, if caught abandoning admins during a busy round to avoid tickets you may be punished.
1 Like

Okay I thought that it was only about gamemode (which mentors usually know about), now it’s that you don’t trust admins about specific people being antags? I really doubt this change is about headmins not trusting admins, but if so, I feel sorry.

Well then tell us what are you going to do about many rounds not being adminned at all?

1 Like

We’ve been told it’s not because we’re not trusted, it was apparently made to encourage us to play without being “”“”“forced”“”“” to admin.

The changes to admin conduct passed by popular vote of the headmins and host.

1 Like

From the original admin announcement about the changes just before they came into place.

<bloons edit: this is an admin posting this as an admin to inform players about admin policy, and not a leak>

Forced to admin? Always thought it was voluntary, now it looks like you are being forced to NOT admin.

3 months ago you’d join the round and deadmin because you wanted to, you didn’t need headmins hand to force you to do so.

Okay let’s say that change was great and everything is perfect, how are you going to fix the problem of MANY rounds that have no admins online now?

^ This is a question to headmins, not to you Archanial

Yeah but did you ask people who liked playing and adminning? It does sound like you ‘fixed’ a problem that never existed, or was in a minority. Just wonder, did you make a poll among admins or just decided it’s the best way?

1 Like

A problem that we’ve had well before this policy? I feel like that’s a bit of a stawman.

Why are you asking Ro this? It’s not like they were the one who implemented this change, there’s no need to target your aggression towards them.

1 Like

Bloons made an edit to Ros comment so I replied to that.

Thought I was repying to bloons, I’m not like mad at Ro, just a mistake.

Bloons didn’t edit the original statement, just clarified that I gave permission to repost the announcement lol.

Regardless, we’ve had this problem for a while and admittedly, yes, this can lead to fewer admins being listed as online at any given time. However, it has been pretty easy to see that admins playing tend to miss a lot of things that goes on during the round and can only operate as a reactionary force, rather than a preventative one. While it gives an illusion of moderation, admins who are playing can only react to issues that are submitted and even then, may be forced to discard them since they’re involved in some way or otherwise busy with the round.

There were a few major reasons why we decided to implement this change (the above being one, the portion Ro reposted being another), and ultimately we still stand behind the decision. That may change in the future, but for now we still believe this is the best course forward.

Didnt feel any agression in that myself tbh
I cant fully remember what happened but we had the admin team discuss it all in a big meeting and we agreed to the policy change.

Personally I agree with it however I do try to make sure if I’m the only one on, to Re-Admin or ask someone to pop on

No, not everyone agreed. We didn’t have much choice anyway.

1 Like

Tbh I dont think I was there for about half the meeting, so i dont remember that part :sweat_smile: