Adaptive Events

These are all the random events we got in the game.

Events

Anomalies
Aurora Caelus
Brand Intelligence
Bureaucratic Error
Camera Failure
Carp Migration
Clogged Vents
Communications Blackout
Disease Outbreak
Electrical Storm
False Alarm
Grid Check
Immovable Rod
Ion Storm
Mass Hallucination
Meteor Wave
Meateor Wave
Mice Migration
Portal Storm
Prison Break
Processor Overload
Radiation Storm
Random Heart Attack
Random Human-level Intelligence
Shuttle Loan
Space Dust
Space Dust (Major)
Space Vines
Spider Infestation
Spontaneous Appendicitis
Spontaneous Brain Trauma
Wormholes

Antagonist Events

Abductors
Alien Infestation
Blob
Fugitives / Hunters
Nightmare
Ninja
Pirates
Revenant
Slaughter Demon
Sentient Disease
Swarmers

So my question is. Why are they all random? Iā€™d love to see more events based on the roles people are playing. If we got another God damn electrical storm and neither of the Engineers will repair the lights because theyā€™re busy fighting the vines in Science so the Paramedic has to repair the lights because there is no janitor to repair the lights which the event itself suggests! Then excuse me if I get pissy.

Electrical Storm

Random Events#Electrical Storm - BeeStation Wiki
ā€œA bunch of lights short out in a general area on the station. Annoying at best. But at least it gives the janitor something to do other than mop blood trails.ā€

And then why in the world should the game give us a bunch of different events to cripple us even more when we can barely stand as it is!

Not to mention, why even spawn antagonists when there is zero Command and Security? Especially when anyone putting up any form of resistance will result in a bwoink. It is not just an empty sandbox experience but a bully experience. The non-antagonist crew can not do anything and you can do whatever you want which 90% of the time includes killing them for the sake of it.

My suggestion is adding a restriction to most, if not all, non-player controlled events to where certain roles has to be filled with at least one or multiple people in order for the event to be carried out.

Event Restrictions

Anomalies, at least two Scientists or Station Engineers.
Aurora Caelus
Brand Intelligence, at least one Janitor.
Bureaucratic Error
Camera Failure
Carp Migration
Clogged Vents
Communications Blackout
Disease Outbreak, at least one Medbay personnel.
Electrical Storm, at least 2 Janitors or Station Engineers.
False Alarm
Grid Check
Immovable Rod, at least 2 Engineering staff.
Ion Storm, at least one Science staff.
Mass Hallucination
Meteor Wave, at least one Station Engineer and Cargo Technician.
Meateor Wave
Mice Migration, at least one Roboticist, Janitor or Station Engineer.
Portal Storm
Prison Break
Processor Overload
Radiation Storm
Random Heart Attack, at least one Medbay staff.
Random Human-level Intelligence
Shuttle Loan, at least one Supply personnel.
Space Dust
Space Dust (Major)
Space Vines, at least one Botanist or Cargo Technician.
Spider Infestation
Spontaneous Appendicitis, at least one Medbay personnel.
Spontaneous Brain Trauma, at least one Medbay personnel.
Wormholes

When it comes to player controlled antagonist events Iā€™d be a bit more careful as thatā€™d upset ghost mains.

What do you think of this?

3 Likes

Hell, if the station starts with zero Engineers give us buffed SMESs so the three crewmembers donā€™t need to do 20 jobs at once.

2 Likes

Just code more events that are better

4 Likes

Bring me ideas! And knowledge on how to code them.

Iā€™d love more events but they need to be actually made. Instead, I am focusing on fine tuning the triggered events to prevent low-pop, and quite often mid-pop, to be a painful hell where the station is imploding on itself without antagonist interference.

Once youā€™re done with that youā€™ll have gathered enough basic knowledge about events and if you want to go deeper youā€™ll be able to Markus!

Event ideas:

Prisoner transfer - at least one security team member needs to be present.

Alien egg - delivered to xenobio, hatches into random simplemob.

Debris shower - random items outside station; add contraband to encourage sec oversight.

AI software update - give AI use of a random ability, such as a single use fix camera network, the ability to move its core slowly, or maybe something basic like an internal battery.

Ionic charge release - mini tesloose in a random location for three or four seconds.

Ghost ship - add a sensor ghost to the bluespace travel screen that disappears when interdicted

IPC crew shipment - delivers 1-3 ghost role IPC crew members, that are completely deconstructed.

12 Likes

I like the idea of small events that add players back to the round. So how about:

Refugees - Two to five players get sent to the station via arrivals shutte as refugees, some might spawn with contraband. Their goal is to make a new life for themselves. Theyā€™ll need IDs and bank accounts made.

Lost spacer - a guy gets thrown at the station in an emergency hardsuit held together by hopes and dreams, he was stranded during evac of some station or ship. Same deal as refugees.

VIP visit - Basically latejoin VIP but for ghosts.

VIP trade deal - same as vip but give them some money and a goal of securing some business deal, basically a hidden bounty that only they know about. Send 500 units of tricordrazine to CC or something.

8 Likes

Involving ghosts in events may be a good idea, setting up votes for what events to trigger according to d-chat could be effective in that players are usually the most adaptive thing in a game.

2 Likes

and secretly register the votes so you can spot an pattern in the ghost mains decision making.

7 Likes

YEEEAAAAAAAAAHHH.
Lets get FUCKIN ANALYTICAL BIACHES!

1 Like

Banger post.

5 Likes

I love all these ideas! Iā€™d love to see more ā€œRimworld ghost rolesā€. Could be as simple as a traveler passing by. A short ghost role that might not add much other than making the station feel more alive with people coming and going.

2 Likes

These ideas are fucking stupid but sounded kinda funny in my head:

Space Vets: A group of NT veterinarians come onto the ship to make sure that the pets of the station are being properly cared for.

Trader: A trading ship docks by the station, and offers whatever stuff it has (non-vendor clothing, other fun stuff) to the crew for credits.

Intern Tour: A group of NT interns and a senior NT executive arrive on the station with the intent of learning how the station operates.

6 Likes

As a money haver I really like the idea of the trading ship.

3 Likes

I think this Idea could be expanded into a funny gimmick. There are departaments that ussualy overlook and forget the pets they have, which could be a fine that the station has to pay up.
Vector (Virologists rat), lack of attention
Kalo (Janitors lizzard), lack of attention
Pun pun (Bartenders monkey), it suffers too much abuse.
Lia or the spider in the hos room, both of these tend to just remain in the rooms
and so onā€¦

1 Like

A+ idea.
Absolute banger
You always have the coolest ideas
Learn DM pls
Or at least get a discord so we can collab cmon man please

1 Like

thatā€™s cute, can help new players get a tour of the station, all I can think is aww

1 Like

Iā€™m just imagining a situation like this

Intern Leader: And here is the security department, they keep order and uphold space law.

inside the brig

Secoff: Oops I critā€™d the clown again

Warden: itā€™s alright just throw him into prison, Iā€™ll add five minutes to his sentence for disorderly conduct

HoS: Iā€™m opening the armory that clown is a danger to us all

2 Likes

Brig phys: busy dying in the background from a maint pill they found

Lawyer: begging on knees for a sliver of relevancy

1 Like