Why do we have a POP-Cap all of a sudden? Why do we even need it?

hey im all for it if i get a little bit of that money, as a donator.

begins to rub hands and chuckle agressively

When talking about role play in SS13 people are usually talking about role play in the traditional sense. As in you are actually playing the role or job. HRP is when modern role play ideas of having a backstory and developed character start being required.

Sage has roleplay rules. Actually two rules that in my eyes are pretty redundant, but needed so things are spelled out for the community. Not sure why you think there aren’t.

I was talking about LRP

Y’know, that’s noble. I fully respect sacrificing high-pop for a better experience. I hadn’t really thought of it that way. Or that was just the salt and since it’s cleared now I can see it better. Personally I believe redirecting to another MRP server, or perhaps having players choose where they’d like to be redirected to would help more, however it’s not easy to just copy and paste a server without it effecting things, so that might be off the table.

I feel like at least 2 of these can be changed with time, since the number of jobs can be increased and maps could be added or edited to support more players, but again, those do take time, and wouldn’t end up solvng that ticket issue. On the part of “we’re not a mix between action and roleplay” TheMaggotGuy says it best:

But hey, maybe our visions have been clouded from the months of LRP Sage.
that isn’t sarcasm by the way im serious

After reading all of these, I can kinda understand why we needed a Pop-cap, even if it has it’s downsides. I personally believe it could be done better, I.E Choosing if you redirect to Golden or another MRP Server, but I am not really versed in all this, so those might be difficult to implement.

While I agree in concept, redirecting people outside of our ecosystem has some important considerations. Does the receiving server actually want the overflow? Would our players enjoy the different codebase, rules, etc? How would this impact our ecosystem overall? Etc. It might be that we obtain another mrp downstream, that’s up consistently, later down the line that we can use as a redirect; but, for the moment, this has been sufficient. Even if it isn’t totally ideal.

Wacky antics isn’t the same as chaotic action. Wacky antics would be something like creating a tube based spaghetti roller-coaster in cargo. Action implies combat and a fair bit of actual chaos.

Absolutely! Thankfully this is really easy to adjust. So if we get to a point where we can sustain more people without sacrificing roleplay we can experiment really easily. There aren’t a lot of jobs right now that can be increased, as a fair few of them rely on specific machines and are artificially limited by their department’s size overall. (having some new and unique jobs could also help here)

Referring back to my prior, this was the best solution at the time as we saw it. There’s no feasible way to get a selectable list of the current servers on the hub, so it’d all have to be manually setup in one way or another. (Also, not a lot of other servers actually want our overflow, and it wouldn’t be fair to force that onto them)

Just as an aside, I’m glad we could have this conversation. It’s been good to see the specifics that I maybe missed or didn’t effectively communicate in my announcement. It’s also been helpful to read what people have been thinking about the change now that’s its been out for a little while. :smile:

2 Likes