Why do we have a POP-Cap all of a sudden? Why do we even need it?

i strongly feel as if this is just so they can get more money
people want to play?
let’s charge them if they want to play
brilliant idea

Shit I wish I was getting money. I push for us to have loot boxes, skins, and antag tokens for sale.

2 Likes

Don’t be petty man. The amount of money they ask is pretty much a cup of coffee worth, and even that is optional. They just want whatever is best for the server ( that is, whatever is best for the highest amount of people )

To be more to the point though, how about a soft whitelist, whereby people that are on the whitelist can join and not be displaced to golden?

2 Likes

Yes, more funding for a server that already has sufficient funding. Exactly what we need.

What? You think the money goes to our pockets or something?

1 Like

no but to mine
:sunglasses:

1 Like

If you are already in game and have to restart client, you won’t be thrown out of MRP, checked it myself. Just be in game and not ghost and all is gonna be okay. As for funds, Hosts and Admins are doing that shit for free probably (as I’m not part of admin crew as some retards say), most money just goes to have server properly running.

1 Like

pretty sure it doesnt kick you. Just liek it didn’t kick everyone when it started. I think he said something like, “it only intercepts people who join” instead of kicking those already connected

I personally don’t know why a Population Cap is the right move. While it may work as it is intended to, a side effect will be people who want to play Sage because it’s a MRP server would end up either observing the round or get kicked to the LRP server. 4rchibald was right when he said “If I wanted to play LRP I would join Golden not Sage.” If it sent people to another MRP server then that would also be fine, but if someone wants to play on Sage, and they get kicked to Golden, then why would they play on a server they don’t want to be on?

For the roleplay aspect, I don’t see how this will help much. Quality of roleplay, at least from what I’ve gathered, is the product of the players and rules. This is the problem, as adding a max amount of people may limit those who do want to Roleplay.

Considering the tickets, then again I don’t see the need. If there’s an overwhelming amount of tickets, then you need more admins to handle them. Sending them over to golden, sure, may lower the ticket count in total, but that’s just because that server has more lax rules. Things that players can get away with on Golden aren’t allowed in Sage.

If there really isn’t enough admins to handle all the tickets, and the population is really too high to keep a high standard of roleplay, then as long as it’s temporary and will hopefully be reverted when there is enough admins to handle it and enough procedures to keep it in line, then it’s whatever, if a bit annoying.

Also:

Bro then just add job slots or ask the HoP to do that, what

1 Like

We are completely non-profit, as all of the money we make goes directly back into the server.

Yes, it’ll recognize that you’re an already established connection. Doing file → reconnect shouldn’t break anything.

We really haven’t though. We’ve been massively DDoS’d once. But that’s besides the point, those attacks are fundamentally different. For one, a DDoS requires no work from the attacker, just some cash. Creating and joining with 60 different alts would require a lot of work to not only obtain said alts but to also ensure that they’re all connecting from different ips and machines to avoid the automated checks. Not only that, but it’s way easier for us to ban them than it is for them to keep up with the alts; meaning, they’d get bored or demoralized way before we did.

It gives them a 10 second heads up before redirecting. So, if they don’t want to play on that server it’s easy enough to just close the connection. We’re not forcing anyone to play on any specific server.

Kasual addressed this pretty handily a few posts above you. I also addressed it within my last post a few days ago. The tl;dr if you’re not reading the relevant replies, is that after a certain point it becomes nothing but chaos. Both for the players and the admin team. Lowering the ceiling not only promotes better roleplay but it also makes it far more manageable from an administrative perspective.

Your following paragraph comes from a fundamentally flawed viewpoint. For one, we can’t just “obtain more admins.” it’s a process. Not only requiring qualified people to actually apply, but also requires a fair bit of time to properly train them.

As of right now, this is likely to be long term. Like I’ve said previously, this decision was made after doing a fair bit of research into how this actually effects play. Most people who roleplay will agree that lower populations tend to provide a far better roleplay experience and is, generally, just more fun to play with.

1 Like

Yeah, they aren’t gonna get stuck on that server of course. I mean to say there that if players are unable to play on the server they’d wish to play on, then would that not lower server population in general? If MRP players don’t want to go to Golden, and Sage is at Hardcap, then they might choose to go to another server. Overall, is it worth it to potentially lose players to both servers just to filter some out to one of them? Likely not forever, but as long as the hardcap is reached. Sage is a well-populated server as of late so that Hardcap is fairly close a lot of the time, from what I’ve seen. Softcap is better, since it allows ghostroles, but even then seeing it might turn people off from playing.

Quoting just the part that im responding to

I did happen to read what you were referring to, however I hadn’t thought of it as chaos on the side of the players, atleast. Not doubting you, but it’s just not something I had seen and if it is more chaotic on the side of the players themselves then that does change things. I personally don’t know how a lower amount of players improves roleplay, as servers like CM-SS13, Paradise, ect can handle over 70 players as MRP servers. Though we aren’t those servers so that might change things.

Of course. Admins can’t just be brought in, and I don’t believe I said anything that hinted at it. I referred to that in my last paragraph where I said that I hoped it to be reverted when there were enough admins to handle it. There may have been some salt in my message due to personal experience with this hardcap as someone who only does Sage, which might have affected how what I wrote came out.

Who cares if they go to another server? This is not a solution to MRP player retention. This is a solution to MRP player behavior. If they MUST play Sage then they can come back at a later time.

No, no one cares
20 character :flushed:

The job of the hop is not to manage jobs, or be the head of all personnel, no, it is his job to close the like 5 minutes into the round and do whatever the fuck he wants, like an assistant with AA.

Atleast the shit he does is usually beneficial to the station. Also at the point where opening new positions might be useful, he’s usually already dead or the station’s a piece of shit

1 Like

I wont speak for the others, so I’ll say that my priority with all of this wasn’t to improve the population on Golden or even to make deferring LRP players easier. My priority is to improve the experience of Sage overall. If that means that we have to support fewer players, then that’s what it takes. I’m willing to sacrifice our spot towards the top of the hub to provide a better overall experience to our community. The recent boon on Golden after this change has been nothing more than a bonus, as far as I’m concerned.

The point of the redirect was to keep people in our ecosystem. Since hard disconnecting them felt a bit harsh and we can adjust where the redirects go later on if we see fit. If people want to leave and wait for Sage to drop out of high-pop before playing, that’s totally fine. If people are put off entirely by this change, then I’ll respect their decision to play elsewhere. I’d like to appeal to everyone, but that’s just sadly not possible.

Part of it comes down to the size of the maps, the number of jobs available, how the departments interact and so on. Both Para and CM also advertise themselves as a mix between action and roleplay. Meaning they bank on there being some chaos and that’s why people go there. That’s not something we’ve been doing and that hasn’t been what our community has been wanting from Sage. (Based on the feedback I’ve received anyways)

that’s what i personally expect from bee. Enough rules that people aren’t going to just kill everyone for the heck of it and there’s consistency, but enough freedom for whacky antics.

1 Like

You just defined LRP to me

1 Like

…Actually I think peak MRP is being strict enough to hold everyone to an RP standard (so we don’t just have a bunch of cavemen running around on the station repeating the same two things over and over while bashing anyone who looks at them funny with a toolbox probably unironically saying OOGA BOOGA) but lenient enough to allow for some silly shit.

2 Likes

Exactly. Because there aren’t any Roleplaying rules, nobody follows it whatsoever.