What to teach newbies in your department

Just a quick little list of things I think are best to teach new players in your departments.

Of course these will be for jobs anyone can jump into but may need some supervison. Feel free to leave your suggestions in the comments too.

Janitor: How to use the Pimpin Ride with the cleaning buffer.
Bartender: How to mix basic cocktails. (Idealy ones that don’t require the wiki i.e. Screwdriver, Black Russian)
Cook: How to make custom pizza and bread.

Cargo Tech: How to stamp papers and push boxes.
Shaft Miner: How to use ore boxes and the ORM.

Medical Doctor: How to use the cryotube to heal.

Robotics: How to build simple bots.

Engineering: How to use a space suit and how to wire solars.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day! :smile:

1 Like

Botanist: How to use the plant DNA manipulator, what the lights on the hydroponics trays mean, how to mutate plants, how to gild the trays, and what the Chef wants when he’s screaming for “biomass”

Xenobiologist: how to feed the slimes, how to cull the slimes, how to do a crossbreed, some useful crossbreeds to have/share

Secoff: How to commit police brutality and get away with it

6 Likes

mime: how to shut the fuck up

Instead of teaching, i like to entirely engage myself in something totally incomprehensible then i go “huh?” or “buh?” to everything said to me, it’s my new RP format called “xenobio”

1 Like

Atmos: Fusion. Honestly if you can make fusion you basically know the grounds for atmos, such as gas flow, what the different pipe components do, how to make every gas there is, ect.

Kek, real answer: the basic of the tools, to encouraging going with a partner until they get a better idea of everything, insist on reading and understanding SoP, crimes and charges alongside how to process a prisoner

Also that dumping 100u of saltpetre into a plant from a large beaker will reduce harvest time by 1 and 50u of dialyth will increase yield by 1. Also if you open the cover of your chem dispensor using a screwdriver, you can swap out the cell by using another cell on it.

1 Like

I like the idea of teaching niche things in-game to new players that you’ll literally never see happening.
Detective: How to use evidence bags, the importance of keeping their gloves on while handling evidence, and finally how to use the white crayon to draw body outlines on the floor of a crime scene.

1 Like

Revised Secoff: how to spam a disabler and to use the stunbatong without incurring brute damage.
BONUS - How to fill out an arrest warrant or keep record of arrests and fines.

Martinis : literally one part Vermouth, two parts Gin, Whisky or Vodka, for various levels of hammered at equal levels of classy.
Gib floats : 1 part cream, 1 part sugar, 1 part DR GIB.

you can now bart-end.

I’d talk about teaching Science but every time a newbie does ask, I often get carried away and spend hours showing everything about it. Seeing newbies use that knowledge in future rounds is nice, I taught Vasiliy nanites a few weeks ago and now he’s doing great with them every round for example.

Oh right we were talking about what to teach, the basics of xenobiology (how to get more monkeys, slime breeding and harvestin), how nanites function (replication and types of triggers), the research tree. Toxins and Xenoarcheology are something I’d leave to more experienced players.

But I tend to to teacy by making scientists try by themselves over requests like finishing a basic nanite setup how I told them to, so it usually ends in explaining everything regardless.

I need to learn nanites… maybe my next play I might learn.

I think teaching janitor is actually kinda fun, so many players stick with mop + bucket and not use pimpin’ ride. I also enjoy cargo, cause there are a few things like mulebots (if they work) mailing letters, etc.

2 Likes

When I’ve introduced friends to this game I’ve either told then to go assistant and ask for a simple job from the HoP or go janitor and have them do some mopping. This is mostly to let them get used to controls and maybe do some socializing. After that I’d probably teach them Medbay or Chemistry, however none of my friends has enjoyed the game enough to stick around for a second round. :\

1 Like

I’m always glad to teach about them (or anything really), just ask Theta icly if you see them :slight_smile:

In cargo firstly I introduce the basic concept of how to earn money and then I show them the goodies that can be ordered from the console.

1st step is how to hack it
2nd ordering ATVs and so on…

1 Like

The happiness I get from showing a new janitor where the service techfab is and how to upgrade the pimpin’ ride is unmatched

1 Like

With the ride i don’t get to slip people and point at the warning wet floor sign

1 Like

I like advanced mop + bucket cause I get to see all the shenanigans in the hallways

Can’t forget teaching them how to break locked crates open and how to fire mosins :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Advanced cargo teching is cracking abandoned crates in under a minute (v doable) :melting_face:

4 Likes