What kind of items or gadgets would you like security to have?

What are the kinds of items that you would want to have as a security officer and how would they be used (defensive/offensive).

These can be

• Firearms
  • Melee weapons
  • Armour types with utility
  • Utility Devices such as an officer-down system.
  • Defensive/Offensive devices such as pepperspray or flashes.
  • Anything else
2 Likes

in the CURRENT set of circumstances and mechanics their equipment set seems perfectly reasonable

3 Likes

What I want is more ways to avoid the Stun baton.
Its either too stong to deal with lower-level crimes.
Or just right to deal with big boys.

I also wish going for different-looking clothes wouldn’t get me penalized defense-wise. (Thinking about the winter coat for example, or just the fact if you use any uniform other than sec you’re losing out on defense bonus).

So basically, i’d prefer if I was able to choose how to tackle a situation based on the threat for RP purposes.

2 Likes

I rarely play Seccie but a system to allow them to recover faster or make them unable to be easily finished off would be nice as then it’d be more difficult for antags to completely wipe out their only threat.

Currently as a Seccie once you go down chances are they’ll kill you and steal your shit and then Medical Doctors needs 15 minutes to find you and revive you (assuming you got sensors) then an additional 30 minutes to slowly regain your equipment (most likely subpar variants if even that) and if there is no Captain (who isn’t an antag) then you won’t have Security access while the killer will have it (with your ID).

6 Likes

This would just make sec exponentially stronger the more of them there are instead of the contrary.

1 Like

You’d basically need a system which scales with the overall amount of players that are currently playing.

1 Like

I dont want officers having more guns considering most of the time they already have what they need.
Although being able to write a fine with the pda is kind of cool

6 Likes

Heard a while ago a mechanic about being able to chain and pull multiple criminals together with multiple handcuffs/legcuffs. Maybe a researchable item for this would be nice, but I’m mostly thinking of lowpop with this in mind.

4 Likes

Bluespace Checkpoint Capsule

Instantly distributable 3x3 security checkpoint with a pair of Airlocks and whatnot to allow security to actually control the entry and exit in an area. use in hand to switch from vertical to horizontal.
Stored in the armory at round start
Blue alert only.

Electromag disturbance detector

A high tech level, high cost machine that, when wrenched, makes AI camera eyes, advanced camera console reticles, and bluespace launchpad targeting reticles visible even without diagnostic huds. Allows for counterplay to abductors, syndies with bluespace launchpads, and clockies!

K9 unit

A player controlled trained Alsatian pooch! One comes in a little cryotube in brig at roundstart or on order from cargo.
Single-click aggressive grab but not much damage otherwise, a really good nose (per Transcendent Olfaction genemod), thermal vision (reflavoured as smelling) and a passive mood boost to seccies.
Only talks in boofs, woofs, barks, yelps, snores and points, with the custom emote button being a critical element.
Allows you to bond to a security officer as your partner, that lets you always know where they are (something like a built-in crew locator?)
Bonus points for cute rest animation like xenomorphs.

Tripline

Creates a tripline. Anyone running (not walking) between the set points slips.

boarding grapnel

For space ops, such as chasing the space dragon or assaulting the syndicate shuttle. Allows for you to click on a point and be pulled towards it.

21 Likes

yo solid ideas what the heck

3 Likes

this reminded me of the one singular time i had an idea, which was a harness that lets you strap yourself onto a shuttle and take off with it so long as you’re buckled to go along with the new shuttle clinging mechanic. Would be cool I think

2 Likes

Currently thinking about potentially replacing the gear lockers witih some kind of gear vending machine that security officers can use once to select the gear that they get.

My initial ideas were:

Pick 1 from each category

• Firearm
    • Disabler
      • Standard firearm that shoots rounds that exhaust the target.
    • Remote Detainment Device
      • Fires tags which latch onto the targets clothing. When tagged, the individual will appear with blips through walls to the person with the gun.
      • If the clothing is dropped, the tag will be dropped with that peice of clothing.
      • After 30 seconds of the tag being deployed on someone it will be destroyed which deals 80 stamina damage to a target.
  • Melee
    • Stun Baton
      • Standard stun baton. High damage against unarmoured enemies and has charges.
    • Breaching Hammer
      • Good damage against people, extremely good damage against structures. Has a very long click cooldown between attacks. Will not shock the user if attacking something that is shocked.
  • Armour
    • I-A Lightweight Armour Vest
      • A lightweight armour vest that provides a good amount of protection without disrupting the user’s mobility.
      • armor = list(MELEE = 30, BULLET = 30, LASER = 30, ENERGY = 40, BOMB = 25, BIO = 0, RAD = 0, FIRE = 50, ACID = 50, STAMINA = 30)
      • slowdown = 0.08
    • Heavy Protection Vest
      • An upgraded versoin of the standard armour vest with more protective-padding. Stronger, but bulkier.
      • armor = list(MELEE = 40, BULLET = 40, LASER = 40, ENERGY = 40, BOMB = 30, BIO = 0, RAD = 0, FIRE = 50, ACID = 50, STAMINA = 30)
      • slowdown = 0.4
    • Reactive Utility Vest
      • Slightly weaker than the standard armour vest but comes with a reactive utility slot. Any item that is placed inside the suit’s armour slot will be automatically activated when the user takes lethal damage.
      • armor = list(MELEE = 25, BULLET = 25, LASER = 30, ENERGY = 40, BOMB = 25, BIO = 0, RAD = 0, FIRE = 50, ACID = 50, STAMINA = 30)
      • slowdown = 0.14
  • Information
    • Callout Device
      • Headset has the ability to send out standardised radio message. Does not mention the current location, requires user to not be stunned and be fully available.
    • Down Detector
      • After 120 seconds of falling down without getting back up, will automatically send a radio message requesting assistance at the current location. Will not be disabled if stripped and will beep loudly to indicate activation.
    • Teamfinder
      • SecHud will be replaced with a device that points towards the location of other security officers, coloured by rank. Only officers that have a valid suit sensor link will be displayed.
  • Utility 1 (Offensive)
    • Flash
      • Device that can blind targets in a nearby area and stun targets who aren’t wearing eye protection.
    • Disruption Field
      • Single use device that when upon throw impact will create a 5x5 area that slows people and projectiles down.
  • Utility 2 (Defenseive)
    • Pepperspray
      • Device that creates a small cloud that blocks vision and restrictions movement in a 3x3 area. Has 3 charges and can be refilled.
    • Projectile Shield Dispenser
      • Creates an electronic shield that spans 3 tiles in front of the user. The shield does not restrict movement but will block projectiles. Has 100 health and will be destroyed afterwards. Lasts for 15 seconds. Has 1 charge but can be recharged at a gun recharger.
  • Crowd Control Utility
    • Flashbang
    • Pepperspray Grenade
    • Stingbang
4 Likes

yeah for this to work well we’d need more options for sure!

I really like the tag idea dn the breching hammer!!!

Also I made a stun baton alternative named Tonfa

Would this make sense with all this?

1 Like

don’t know much about how security goes but one tech that is in the later half of the tree and seems commonly overlooked are stun mines, of which we even have ones that ignore people with mindshields, or are (more) rapidly deployable
maybe those could be looked into for ideas?

4 Likes

3 Likes

Ooh, some cool ideas, but I think anything sec related needs to always be carefully considered. Antaging is hard as it is, and we already have a problem of people never actually engaging with sec (probably because they don’t want to instantly just lose an antag round or something) so making sec even more powerful would be intact detrimental to at least the server wide antag mindset

2 Likes

Getting a panic button on your HUD would be a major QOL to lowpop sec rounds or sec fighting shit antags.

Get BS padded onto a shuttlegank? press your panic button, no one knows where you are, but EVERYONE knows you are in trouble.

I also really like the system Eris has where in the top right menu theres a tab with callouts you can press to callout important things over the radio like: shots fired, suspect evading, or the like.

7 Likes

Stun mines are amazingly funny if used correctly.

1 Like

TG attempted to do that, it seemed quite nice i’ll see if ican find the pr but /TG/ shut it down because welp… TG but it aligns quite well with what Bacon said about a quick call for help or back up

@aramix The mines are actually quite good! they’re not that used… but they’re great i always use them whenever we have enough mats, sadly so many of the sec gear goes underused because it’s either a little weird to use (implant locators and prisoner management consoles) or just it’s not that good like the Dragnet

so resting will just prank sec.

So now antag has acess to the location of other officers, I dont know how this will impact much considering suit sensors are a thing.

I dont like the idea of lethal weaponry given to sec round start, unless you mean stam damage, if you want to make it more gimmicky you can try copying the mining hammer where you shot a BOLT that sets a field around the target, and if the officer hits the perp, the officer is rewarded with more stam damage, thing is IF YOU MISS, the hit should still connect with whatever it hits like the floor so do cant just spam mouse1 and hope for the best.

1 Like