Video Games (That Aren't SS13) Thread

I’m sure there are a bunch of threads like this, but what video games do you guys enjoy that aren’t SS13. Have any of you tried something new? What are some classics you fall back to when you’ve got fuck-all else to do? What are some absolute masterpieces that everyone should try?

I love discussing this stuff, but rarely do I get to talk about this stuff outside of my somewhat anaemic friend group. It’ll be interesting to see where everyone’s interests intersect and diverge.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call most of these classics (except FTL) but these are games that I think are pretty good and I tend to come back to rather often.

• FTL: Faster Than Light
    Has a really good soundtrack. It’s
    a bit of an older game (2012) so you can usually get it for rather cheap, for example in the current steam sale it’s $2 USD. Definitely one of my top games.

• Darkwood

• Spelunky 2

• Cataclysm Dark Days Ahead
    Free but has a very steep learning curve and uses either ascii graphics (if you’re a lunatic) or tilesets, so don’t expect it to look nice.

• Rimworld

• Enter the Gungeon

Outer Wilds is also really good and I’d say it’s probably one of my favorites.

3 Likes

All paradox game are pretty interesting timesinks, if you hate how expensive they are with stack of dlcs, theres always the high seas way :pirate_flag:

I played some of Tyran suggestion (FTL, Rimworld) and i do agree both of em are great, rimworld is another timesink game, wanted to play outer wild but my wallet disagreed with me.

For FPS, i must recomend Titanfall 2, the campaign itself are worth it, and for multiplayer you still could have fun, but the skilled old player can be considered raid boss if you met one in your matchmaking.

But because im part weeb, i also have to recomend Nier:Automata, even if you still dont like its story after finishing it, you WILL love the music, 10/10, i never encountered better game osts than that, well maybe the witcher 3 is a close one.

1 Like

Fun stuff. I’ve owned it for years, but have only quite recently come around to it. I think SS13 kinda helped my get into the mood for that game. I occasionally pick it up for a few weeks then drop it again.

I’ve played a bit of it, but I’m too stupid for my campaigns to last very long. I usually get a while in, then some logistical error I made gets everyone killed. I thought building a nice compact structure in the corner of a mountain would be neat, then the cramped spaces meant every single illness spread like wild fire. Gut worms abound.

Never really grabbed me. I’ve sunk hundreds of hours into Isaac, so I thought it’d be my kinda thing, but it never really scratched the itch.

1 Like

i like rimworld a ton

its pretty boring vanilla so don’t be scared to throw in some (ie. as many as your computer can handle) mods and some “legally” acquired dlcs

3 Likes

Fuck yeah. I love Titanfall 2. I sunk hundereds upon hundreds of hours into it from 2017-2020, currently sitting around early gen 50. Still play it every now and then, but I’ve really fallen off the horse. I’m sorry if you were one of the poor souls who had to tolerate me at my peak. At least I was never a dirty, dirty SMG/AR main.

I could talk your ear off for hours about video game OSTs. If you like your orchestral weeb shit, I’ve been binging the Ace Combat soundtracks for the past month or so, especially AC 7’s.

1 Like

I played the campaign at least 2 time a year since 2018, just touched the multiplayer last year, and o boy am i shit at chaining my hook and wallrun.(evenmore when theres no server with decent ping to my place)

Oh i do love AC soundtrack, Zero, comberth harbour, alicorn, monolith,Sol etc. But still in my opinion nier sountrack is at least a level above them, Nier use ost is just, i dont know, hooked to the story.

1 Like

In addition to what I posted above Highfleet, Deep Rock Galactic, Risk of Rain 2, and Cultist Simulator are also good in my opinion.

2 Likes

Only if you have friend to be honest, or your friend also have the game.

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to try both of those, especially Cultist Simulator. I’ve been a simp for MandaloreGaming for years and he makes just about anything he reviews sound interesting, the more niche the better.

2 Likes

True.

On the topic of games that are only really good with friends Barotrauma, GTFO, and Pulsar: Lost Colony all come to mind.

2 Likes

You can roughly judge nier soundtrack when you get to the Carnival section, for myself its the first point where i notice the ost were something a bit more special than other games. The way the xylophone tickle your ear, i wish i experienced the first time again.

But if you dont like 3rd person rpg like, with bayonetta style combat, ill recomend to at least try to listen some of the ost in youtube, or watch shillup review on it. Sadly MaxOr canceled his review of nier because of copyright stuff.

1 Like

I’ll be sure to check it out.

Heat Signature is a top dowm game about infiltrating spaceships with creative gadgets, and spacing people by defenestrations

I was considering making a suggestion to add some of the gadgets in to Ss13, I feel like some of them could work, but idk yet, might make a post about to see what ppl think

Oh, and yeah, barotrauma is fun too, it’s vaguely like SS13 with a lot stronger coop focus

5 Likes

I hadn’t heard of that, so I looked it up. Didn’t know it was from the same guy who did Gunpoint. I’ve really gotta check this out now.

1 Like

If you loved the emergent gameplay of gunpoint you’ll love heat Signature

(the defenestration part of it is a clear giveaway it’s a Tom Francis game!)

2 Likes

The primary game I play outside of SS13 is absolute hot garbage and I recommend it to nobody, unless you have very low blood pressure.

Hey hey people,
Highfleet is actually decent and brutal at times.

Also I suggest mud and blood 2(yes the flash game).

Because best games are the ones that make you cry

Oh god thanks for reminding me

Soon on steam

2 Likes

It will take a very long time to list all the games, so I’ll just send you a screenshot.

Most of the games here are where you can just relax, for example theHunter, Powerwash simulator and etc. Story games, roguelikes and sandboxes are more suitable for my preferences. I even bought Ps4 once just to play all parts of the Uncharted game. Classics are also present here.
In short, pure flex.