The Powergaming Problem (MRP)

I’m not saying you reap what you sow, but what I am saying is that you reap what you sow.

1 Like

While powergaming is a real issue, I always find the notion of “your character wouldn’t do X” or "your character wouldn’t have access or knowledge to X " hilarious.

Okay, if it refers to armory or extremely complex stuff like xenobiology or supermatter, and I’m playing an assistant, then I understand.

But holy shit, my character’s a spaceman and we have fucking guides in every job room, not to mention THE INTERNET, WHICH EXISTS IN-CHARACTER TOO. I’m sure they know how to use fucking tools or how departments work in the station - THEY’VE BEEN FUCKING WORKING WITH THEM.

4 Likes

Go play LRP then, if you don’t like the already very lax MRP rules?

how about you shut the hell up lmao

6 Likes

And another thing. Unless you’re playing an in-character novice (or assistant, but even then, veteran assistants are surely a thing in-universe), you’ve probably seen serious shit happen before in character. It’s ridiculous to assume that supermatter blowing up, traitors killing people, alien invaders, cults, bombs and whatever the fuck is in the shift is a one-time occurrence. The antags are stated to be persistent enemies of NT. They’ve appeared before. They’ll appear again. The crew should know about them unless they’re new!

If you’ve been on the station, you’ve seen these things happen. If you’ve seen them happen, you know how to fight against or prevent them. if you know how to do this, you’ll get the items to do it, and the security or anyone else shouldn’t fuck with you for it.

Again, this isn’t saying you need guns and a hardsuit. These are reserved for emergencies for a reason. If you have tools and an extinguisher though, the person yelling at you about it is the idiot, no question. Doubly so due to the fucking airlock change, but i digress. If you’re in some other department that isn’t super advanced, but you’re just doing their job and aren’t fucking around, then once again, it’s not you being naughty, it’s the people calling you out being shitlords. And let’s be real, it’s usually not the “I think this is bad for rp” speaking when you get called out, it’s the “i have power here and I want to use/abuse it”.

As a non-security & non-command crewmember, you’re not an experienced soldier.

You are expected to be inexperienced in the ways of combat/self defense in character and not be someone so paranoid something will go wrong at any moment. You’re IC actions with OOC knowledge of the game - Most of the stations must be semi-permanently staffed and should have things going on without a hitch in order for NT to be a successful corporation. Most stations in regards to the world of the game should be observing green alert levels most of the time.

It’s not unrealistic to know there are enemies of the corporation, but it is unrealistic to think/act like every station you’ve ever been on has exploded and you should be paranoid of it happening again.

Now here, you have a partial point - we don’t have the crew to pro-actively admin right now, so the rule is only being enforced when another player reports the problem, but this is handled case-by-case. If players are quietly getting away with it where they shouldn’t be because it’s not being detected, that doesn’t make it any less against the rules. Likewise when players are reported out of petty spite we don’t take action against them if no rule is broken.

In regards to your mention of tools and extinguisher:

Mundane items that an everyday person would have (tools, insuls, sunglasses, soap) are not powergaming unless used specifically in a way that breaks another rule. In those cases it will add to increasing punishments for powergaming.

This was a council precedent that was never published, but has been treated as law between admins. We don’t pursue players for basic items unless they’re being used in a shitter fashion, such as tools for greytiding or sunglasses so you can dab on sec for ‘fun’.

there are some strange exceptions to powergaming rules, or inclusions that confuse me. For example the whole necro chest thing. It’s really powergamey, but it doesnt really break any of the above rules, and i personally put the emphasis on obtaining the items for research, not to dab on changelings/cult/whatever.

for those that dont know the necro chest thing is where, by combining xenobio and viro you could farm infinite necropolis chests via the power of golems. it was fun for like one round before the admin on at the time said no more and i havent asked about it since.