Tennessee116's Admin Application - Overly Honest Answers Edition

Your CKEY (Including any alts you have): Tennessee116

Your Discord Name (Including any alts you have): Tennessee116#2223

How often are you online to play/admin? (Timezone): 3:00 PM - 2:00 AM GMT is the time range I am usually available to play/admin (doesn’t mean I’ll be doing nothing but be on, I have a half-life, folks). My timezone is Central Daylight.

What changes, if any, would you bring?: Definitely a more, enforcing jab at making sure rules on Golden are followed. Put that ‘Beginner-Friendly’ back into Bee.

How old are you?: 19

Why do you want to be an admin?: There are those out there who can’t give some bullshit answer to that question, I am one of them. I’ve seen some pretty shit moments, and, I just want to make so that in the future, people don’t have to experience as many shitty moments as they do right now.

How long have you been playing SS13?: Since… August of 2019?

How long have you been playing BeeStation?: It was the first server I played on, so August of 2019. However I was on Bee for a very short period, and then returned around early April. So in total, approximately 3 months worth of purely playing Bee.

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you in SS13?: 6.3/10

On a scale of 1-10, how skilled are you as an admin?: 7/10 - From experience in NSV and Overcast, I can use a majority of the admin tools required to admin. I also somewhat know how to use the fun shit without ruining rounds.

Have you ever been an admin on another server? This is not limited to SS13: NSV13, also known as downstream, and STALKER Overcast. I was also mod on a minecraft server once.

Do you have any alternate accounts on SS13? If so, could you provide their CKEY?: No.

Your strengths: I don’t have bias in seeing everyone as equal disappointments to society. I am literate. I can somewhat speak Spanish, if that ever comes up as an issue… somehow. I try my hardest to enforce, not interpret the rules. I have the urge to admin on Golden.

Your weaknesses: Boomer Syndrome - I find something that is entertaining, funny, cool, whatever, and I will subconsciously try to stretch its satisfaction value to the point where its just plain stupid. I have the urge to admin on Golden.

Is there anything that gets you really mad, real fast?: People who get mad after they don’t take something seriously and get blowback.

What do you think is the most important trait for a staff member to have?: Decisiveness. The ability to say “Fuck you, the rules are the rules” (metaphorically, not literally).

What makes a staff team good?: The ability to know how to stop another admin. Admins will naturally have bias for other admins. A good team can identify that yes, a member of their team is doing something wrong, and they need to be able to steer them back on track.

What is a staff team’s purpose?: To enforce rules and ideas for the betterment of the players that the game cannot mechanically enforce.

What kind of player are you?: Hard question. Honestly, I am the type of player to play sec on Golden and follow Space Law. Also known as:

for more details

How do you think you will change once you become a staff member?: I’ll naturally lose the perspective of actually playing the game, which disconnects you from the playerbase. Hopefully I can delay that, but eh, inevitability.

The clown slips the HoS and steals his gun, spacing it right after. What do you do?: I PM the clown, as this is type of situation clearly specified in some of the more specific rulings:

Rare or unique items such as the Wardens krav maga gloves, compact combat shotgun, or traitor objectives, are always self antagonising when stolen from someone or for no reason, unless there is an immediate purpose or need to steal said item. If the player cannot provide a valid reason, it is self antagonising behaviour

I ask them to explain their actions, and depending on their explanation, I’ll continue from there. Some sample endings would be:

• The clown is unable to provide a reason. I ask for an authorization of a one-day ban.
  • The clown provides a relatively mediocre but understandable reason (“The HoS was shitsec and he kept calling me not funny and threatening to poke me with his baton!”) . I tell him it still breaks the rules and note + watchlist him.
  • The clown provides a relatively mediocre but understandable reason, but has multiple notes/watchlists for similiar incidents. I ask for authorization for a two-day ban.
  • The clown is unable to provide a reason, has a history including bans for similar reasons, and has enough hours to know what is considered self-antag. I ask for authorization of a perma-ban.

A non-antagonist is sabotaging the Atmospherics loop and pumping plasma into the distro, along with dragging around a canister and releasing it into the atmosphere. Assuming that another admin is cleaning up the after-effects, how do you conduct the ahelp with him?: Obvious self-antag, so, proceed with relative politeness knowing it’ll probably end in punishment. Some things would be taken into account first:

• How many hours does this player have?
  • Does he have a track record of self-antag?
  • Does he even know what he’s doing?
  • What has he said IC that may be related to this.

From there, many approaches may be made. Some possible endings are:

• The player’s first round was this one, he has no logs outside of releasing the plasma. This’d be considered a griefer and I’d approach, him not expecting any results. Assuming he doesn’t come up with some fantastic story with evidence to back it, I’d ask for authoriztion to permaban.

• The player’s first round was this one, and he shows obvious confusion in the logs. I’d approach him and ask him what happened, and it’d likely result in a request for the authorization of a week ban/total engineering ban.

A chemist who is working alone accidentally mixes an explosive mixture inside of his chem dispenser, instantly killing himself and destroying the machine, along with exposing Chemistry to space. Nobody else was injured aside from him as a result of his actions. What do you do?:

That is an IC issue. He made an IC mistake, and suffered IC consequences.

If there are any errors here, feel free to make fun of me and have me correct them.

Permabanning a clown for slipping the HoS and taking his gun

Wha?

Clowns get some slack to be, well, clowns.

7 Likes

I am confused.

Well, clowns do get to be clowns. It’s just the line between self-antag and being a clown is slightly gray as it says stealing unique items (the HoS gun being unique) is self antagonism. That’s why I provided multiple outcomes depending on what the clown’s situation would be.

He stole it to space it, not to use it. The clown ROBUSTED the HoS. This should, at the absolute worst, be a day ban if even that. You want to perma ban the clown for doing his literal job.

You’re both way too focused on one aspect of that answer with total disregard for the conditions they listed that would lead to perma.

Perma is still excessive under those conditions, but a clown isn’t free pass to be a 100% total shitter, and if that’s what they have a long history of doing a longer ban might be appropriate.

+2 from me, great application and the answers are given with much more detail than normal showing that you have a strong understanding of how fluid any given offense might be given further details.

Hours being a bit on the low side might get you some pretty swift negatives from others.

T: +2

This is also why we require trial-admins to ask for auth before issuing bans.
+1
Generally good character, good sport on the server.

Actualy put effort on their app, based.
You have my +2
T:+5

Yeah. I don’t play as much as I lurk on Discord or on the forums. I try to regulate my time through different SS13 servers so I don’t get burnt out as much, although I am still left with an overly-tremendous amount of time to do whatever.

Based? Based on what? Oh, I see, it’s based on-

I don’t want to bump, however, bump.

Interacted him at NSV13, he’s trialmin there.
As far as I know, he got no complaints yet, and Tennessee is generally a nice and calm person to deal with, he knows admin tools and some code, but he’s not very talkative on the discord or in-game, though.

There was the one pizza-themed event that occurred that most people disliked, but that was more of a chemical reaction chain of Boomer Syndrome, which again, I usually try to keep back the urges to do so.

Perma is kind of a bit far for the clown, but these minor things could be ironed out.
You will have to get used to switching between rulesets, since you are an admin on NSV

Sorry to bump again, but uh, can I get a status report on this?

status report is we really need more admins to come to the forums and give their input
That’s how I feel about most of the applications right now - positive or negative, most of them have too few votes to really come up with a final decision.

I’m going to be cracking some nuts soon if they don’t respond to the discord ping and apply votes
@Caecilius @PowerfulBacon both posted input without an actual vote, and it sounds like Cae would have put a negative vote.

I’ve actually changed my mind about this and I’m going to go with a +1

I like the application and that answers are detailed.
+1 from me

T:+7 I believe

Accepted at +7
Welcome to the team!