Ban Type:
Server / command jobs
Ban Length:
1 day / 2 weeks
Ban Date (YYYY/MM/DD/):
2022/11/05
Round ID:
Ban Reason:
As the Captain spotted a changeling transform into a monkey and attempt to climb into a vent in the hallway so they rushed them, killed them with sword, then cremated them. Security was well staffed at the time and they made no attempt to alert them before jumping in. Please remember that as the captain it is your job to delagate tasks to the rest of the crew (primarily the other command staff), not to jump in to handle things on your own. 2/2

Appeal Reason:
This was a very dynamic situation to which I responded accordingly with my own judgement.

Additional Information:
Before that happened station already had report about rouge monkey venting and was confirmed to be morphing geneticist (also we were on blue). I was walking from medbay to brig when I noticed a monkey near vent. At that time there was some crewmember near me and the suspect already saw me so I made a split second decision to jump it since reporting it would be a worse option. I pushed it, then started to beat it with my sabre. Before it was in crit i was already in company of one secoff (forgot name) and a detective Millii. Hallways are deemed a safe space due to its populated traffic. After figuring out that gateway does not work, we decided to cremate the corpse and there was only one person there with crematorium access (me), so it was reasonable to handle it too.

I believe that this behavior is not out of RP standard because, as a captain, keeping station safe is also my duty and I decided not to do something like reporting “Monkey venting in bridge hallway” just to see it simply vanish in distro. In my opinion only reporting whole thing instead would be incompetent, and would lead to endangering crew to potential harm since active threat would come out unaffected by my actions.

Judging from the ban description, the ban is mainly for “not alerting”, so I would like to point it out once again: The situation was so dynamic I had no time to alert anyone because alerting would take as much time as monkey venting, so I left it in witness crewmember and AI hands to alert rest of the crew. It worked.

Therefore:

1. Ling was an active threat to the station and life of crewmembers - Keep the crew alive,
  2. There was no other direct threat that needed to be approached at that moment as far as I knew
  3. Risk of engagement was minimal, changeling was vulnerable at that moment (monkey form, in the process of venting, in the hallway)
  4. We started with 0 secoffs and 1 det, I remember prioritizing secoffs job but was not aware of numbers at that time
  5. I would like to highlight that I was not actively hunting for a ling, I spotted him in the hallway while doing my job.

I’m really getting into captain roleplay and racking hours as such. In my opinion that ban length is excessive if not applicable to this case.

4 Likes

Your duty is to delegate tasks to the other heads of staff and or their departments, not to immediately cut down an antagonist at first sight that isn’t actively attacking anyone. Especially when you do have security.

Expect a more detailed response later, about to go to sleep.

Your duty is to delegate tasks to the other heads of staff and or their departments

I did delegate tasks, relayed the information from medbay about missing geneticist, and told to be on lookout for rouge monkey ling.

not to immediately cut down an antagonist at first sight that isn’t actively attacking anyone

It was not actively attacking but was actively disrupting, by stealing security equpiment from checkpoints.

Situation was complicated, dynamic and had to be resolved on the spot. I’m pointing out once again that reporting about ling venting would not only do nothing but would also alert it since sec comms were compromised. And my duty is also to protect the station and its crewmembers (as stated in wiki).
I understand that delegating and monitoring heads is my top priority task, but i did not step out of my duties. If it was not so dynamic(if It was not venting at the moment for example) I would notify security first via secure comms like pda etc.

3 Likes

Hey why is the admin assigned to this appeal the same one that banned the guy? Shouldnt this be two different people?

2 Likes

It’s Bee policy to assign admins who handed out the Ban. Makes it a bit awkward if You ask me.

Edit: So far every Ban appeal i wrote was processed by the same admin that banned me. It might not be always true.

No, because that’s not how we handle appeals.

I will make the argument here that the Captain was completely within their authority to kill the changeling because:

1. The Captain in my opinion is permitted to protect the entire station, much like a department head would be permitted to protect their department according to R2, section 3.

Head’s of staff are permitted to protect their department or their “domain”, and one could argue that the entirety of the station is within the Captain’s domain.

2. While the Captain should delegate all security matters to security, he is allowed to assist security should the need arises.
    According to Command SOP’s, the Captain may not perform “regular security duty” which in itself is vague, but in this instance we can assume it means to patrol and arrest for basic crimes. However, the SOP also states the Captain may assist Security if they see a crime being committed.

The changeling posed a threat to the station’s crew and was seconds away from vanishing into vents. Calling for security would be of zero value if the dangerous threat wasn’t going to be there by the time security were to arrive. The Captain took the initiative here to assist security by handling the threat himself. The Captain clearly witnessed a changeling hopping into a vent, and in my mind he was well within his scope of power to take action on it.

I think the Captain was within his bounds according to both rules and SOP, and I think his punishment was pretty harsh.

3 Likes

I do not believe that to be the proper interpretation.

Sometimes the better option from a roleplay perspective isn’t the optimal option from a gameplay one. I do still believe that contacting security and letting them handle it was the better solution from an RP perspective even if it would be suboptimal from a mechanics perspective.

Not to be a dick but your opinion on whether or not the ban is harsh is irrelevant to the appeal. These cases do not exist in a vacuum and past conduct that you aren’t aware of was taken into account when deciding on the ban and it’s duration.

With that out of the way, I have reread the logs and thought about it some more and have decided to remove the ban. My reasoning for doing so is because they did indeed just happen across the changeling and attacked them as a result of that. As I’ve said I still think delegating the issue to security is better from a roleplay perspective, but to say it’s valid-hunting under these circumstances is somewhat of a stretch.

Ban lifted, apologies for the inconvenience.