Ban Type:
Appearance
Ban Length:
One Month
Ban Date (YYYY/MM/DD/):
2022-07-09
Round ID:
Ban Reason:
‘Failure to comply with naming policy. After having been asked not to use the name ‘Bar-Nih’ went on a rant on the forums where they threatened to use other similarly improper names. Then uses the name ‘Maybeline Blumenburger III’. Already has a previous note for the use of the name ‘Maybeline’.’
Appeal Reason:
Maybeline is naming policy compliant. Admin is attempting to abuse their power over a personal grudge against me by falsifying information and abusing the naming rules.
Additional Information:
Maybeline is a character I used to play a long time ago before the Felinid naming policy. When the policy was implemented @Crossedfall noticed and notified me that my name was not compliant due to not having a last name (I was just “Maybeline”) on the date of 2021-10-18. For that round my name was randomized to “Carole Park” and I was ordered to make the name compliant.

I had used variations of the character since with no issues but eventually retired the character about a month or two after and moved on to other characters.

Recently I was enjoying a character I made called Bar-Nih. They were a female purple lizardman with strong cultural beliefs and talked about them often. The gimmick with her name was related to her past as she had inherited it from her great grandfather who visited Earth long ago and became a children’s TV show star.

The name fit the naming scheme for lizards, the gimmick was good and I even made a friend with another player who had only even bothered to talk to me due to the strange name. Tyranicranger4 apparently did not like the name so much, and left a note demanding I change it on 2022-07-08 saying “Please stop using the name ‘Bar-Nih’, yes it’s a funny joke, but it doesn’t fit an RP server” which killed the character.

I had been playing the character for over a month and was an established character on the station. Naturally I was a bit upset over the loss of this character I was enjoying and over several other problems I wanted to vent with how this server is run and so I made a forum post about it.

The forum post didn’t come out as intended as it was unfocused and well… a mess. I apologize for that as I don’t have anyone or anywhere else to go to talk about my perceived grievances with how my favorite server/game is run. I’m sure I’m not the only one whose had a bad day one in a while or have criticisms about the server.

Later that day I decided to play and was attempting to come up with a new name for a character. I did adminhelp and try to run through some names I was thinking of with the admin that was online (I didn’t write down his user). I decided to revive my Maybeline character and give her a funny randomly generated last name from the in-game name generator and just for some added fun I added the third (III) at the end. The server restarted before I could get the admins approval, but I didn’t think the name would cause a problem as it still follows the guidelines.

About 15 minutes into the round Tyranicranger4 bwoinks me and tells me he doesn’t like the Maybeline name because my characters a felinid. I attempt to tell him that the name is real, as the meaning of it is “loveable” and is a name at least 500 children have been given in the last 20 years. He then refers to the note by Crossed that name had to be changed and declares that it was because Maybeline was a bad name, even though the note doesn’t say that. He then claims he looked up the ticket and it confirms what he said that crossed thought Maybeline was an inappropriate name.

Considering there is an engineer running around named “Robert Mcsteal” this very round, I start to think that this admin just has it out for me due to the previous problem with my other character and say as such. He refuses to continue discussing this with me and issues me the ban citing I was warned before not to use Maybeline despite that not being the case and that note was almost a year old. He also tells me to go ahead and try to staff report him, knowing what the outcome would be since he’s a seniormin.

Personally I’d name my own kid Maybeline if I had a girl. I think it’s a cute name and I can imagine her having so much fun using the tagline from the commercials “maybe she’s worth it”. I genuinely don’t get what Tyanicranger4’s problem is with a felinid being named that. I’d think he’d have more of a problem with the last name since it sounds like a sandwich.

The general consensus I get from other players and even other admins is that my names are fine. I get no one saying the names are stupid and I get more people to talk to me than if I had a generic name like “John Smith” and I have fun roleplaying my characters and their admittedly strange names. I’ve broken no rules here as both names follow the naming guidelines and I play them with respect to rule 1. I feel that “Maybeline” can be reasoned well enough that it’s not related to the beauty care brand of the same name as real world children have been named Maybeline IRL. Bar-Nih is sufficiently obscure because it is not spelt the same and the show originally aired in 1992 which was almost 30 years ago. It’s unlikely Zoomers would even get the reference.

I’ve spent over 4 hours writing this and so I hope I’ve made some kind impact here. What I’m hoping for out of this is for Crossed to clear up what that original note was for (If he remembers, it was a year ago after all) and what other admins opinions are on the names of my characters. I’d like to at least keep the Maybeline first name and optimistically have the notes on my account re-written to reflect whatever is decided here so I can get Tycringer off my backside.

1 Like

If you disagree with how I’ve conducted myself then the proper avenue would have been to make a staff report. Despite what you may think I’m not above our policy just because I’m a Senior Admin, none of us are.

Making a staff report would have been far more productive than writing a bad faith ban appeal in which you very bluntly accuse me of targeting you over a non-existent grudge and try to insult me.

I stand by my actions and will await input from other staff.

3 Likes

While an admin report may be more relevant to you, I really could not care less as getting you in trouble doesn’t solve my problem.

My problem is that I want to use my favorite character whose name you’ve incorrectly determined as being non rp, or atleast for false reasons.

An non rp friendly name is something like Joseph Stallin, Richard Hardy, Robert Mcstealy ect. As they are a JOKE or historically relevant which is also a bad.

Naming your character after a fictional one or making an obscure refference I agree is generally frowned upon but not against the rules as there is room to roleplay many of those characters without breaking rule 1.

Joe Swanson from Family Guy would be an example of a GIMMICK character as you would still RP him as a wheelchair bound security officer and still respect the rules.

Maybeline to me isn’t a joke or a gimmick. She’s my character that I came with and enjoy playing and I’ll be damned if you take away the only right I have left to make fun characters.

2 Likes

That’s not true. It is explicitly stated that any famous name(fictional or otherwise) is off limits. Unless you were playing a clown/mime/wizard(admin discretion still applies) those sorts of names are off limits.

R1.7
  1. Use a lore-friendly name, and follow Naming Guidelines for your species.
  • Do not use the names of famous real/fictional people/characters.
  • Obvious or heavy references are also not allowed.
  • Clowns, mimes, and wizards are permitted to have meme/unusual names, but admin discretion still applies.
1 Like

Fair. Somehow I missed that. Your eyes sort of start to glaze over after a third or fourth clause to a rule.

To my specific case however, the Bar-Nih character is not spelt the same as “Barney” and the character does not act like said character and so that would make it a reference. Weather that is an obvious or heavy reference is debatable, as it is 30 years old and two generations would of grown up not knowing what that was. It’s not like I did “Spy-Roh” or “Era-Gon” or “Puff-The-Dragon” and surely more RP friendly than “Ignites-the-Flamescale” which is a regular on the station.

Maybeline to me is just a name I like that happens to also be a beauty brand. If I was forced to pick an alternate name it’d be Marceline, which also would just be a name to me that happens to also be the name of a popular fictional character.

Tell you what. Give me a roleplay friendly human first name that doesn’t belong to a famous person or fictional character and let me know what you find.

Yet you say it is a reference. It doesn’t have to be a verbatim spelling. Joseph Swonson would still not be allowed, even though it’s not specifically spelt “Joe Swanson”.

1 Like

Why not? Joseph Swansong or another variation that wasn’t the actual name would be fair game. You can’t ban both playing the actual character, a parody of the character, AND any variation of that characters name or else you’d end up getting after everyone who didn’t use the random name generator and maybe even people who did. Hell, you can’t even use the most generic name possible “John Smith” because Dr. Who used it as an alias. Where does that end? You’re going to tell me I can’t play a character named Paul because the main character’s name in Dune was Paul?

I’m just hoping this gets sorted out because I’m concerned Tycringer or some other admins just going to ban me again after this one ends because any first name I pick would be the name of a fictional character. Hell, I’m concerned an admin will ban me again while I’m banned because of the frankly stupid names the random name generator gives me.

I’m just gonna go straight to the point.

You are straight up lying. “Blumenburger” is not a part of the random name generator.
To me, the regnal number at the end is also very iffy.

For me, it’s quite difficult to think of anything other than the company when hearing Maybeline. I’d have PMed you just the same.

Appeal denied.